U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,564,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
(It *could* just be that you *did* just get the windshield replaced.)

(Not to imply that that is legal, mind you, or that it's a good thing to do, or that *I* would ever do such a thing. Oh, no, not me, never.)
Did this before, but I caught a rock a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to replace it again. Hard to convince the cop you just had it replaced with a big ol' spiderweb across the bottom.

Totally forgot this sticker because I drive this vehicle about once a month, and to tell the truth, never really look at the inspection stickers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:12 PM

2,958 posts, read 3,162,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Did this before, but I caught a rock a couple of weeks ago and haven't had time to replace it again. Hard to convince the cop you just had it replaced with a big ol' spiderweb across the bottom.

Totally forgot this sticker because I drive this vehicle about once a month, and to tell the truth, never really look at the inspection stickers.
A few years ago, I was going to see my brother and his family on New Year's day. I jumped in the truck and started down the road, then I noticed that the sticker had expired in Dec.

I turned around, went home and got the car. Now I was late and didn't even look at that sticker, it just wouldn't be like me to have both expiring at the same time.

10 miles down the road I got pulled over. I sure wasn't speeding because I knew enforcement would be heavy that day. Cop walks up and says "Do you know why I pulled you over?"

I said "No, not a clue."

He said "Your sticker is expired."

I looked, the disbelief on my face must have been evident. All I could do was look back at him with my mouth hanging open. There was no way he was going to believe me if I told him what happened. All I could say was "Awwww #%@&."

Old 01-17-2008, 04:20 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,564,621 times
Mostly they are pretty good about stopping you here. I was pulled over in Washburn once and the cop walked up to the window and asked that same annoying question. I answered truthfully that I didn't have a clue, I just pulled away from a stop sign, and knew I wasn't speeding. He just laughed and said when I was done in town take a look when I got home at my license plate. Then walked back to the car laughing. I got out and looked right then, plates expired 2 years before. He swung around as he was getting in the car and told me he would radio the town office and tell them to expect me in, because I was coming in with a vehicle I was getting out of long term storage. He emphasized long term storage.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM

2,059 posts, read 2,518,180 times
i got stoped a cpl weeks ago with the nova on 95.there were like 3or4 unmarked cars in a pull off and as the cop is walking up to the car he is talking on his radio.so he gets to the window and he says do you no why i stoped you and i said have no idea.
i wasnt speeding i was only doing 60 he says no that isnt it.and asked for my reg,and insurance and i gave it to him he says ill be right back.as hes walking back to his car two more pull up one in front and one in back. i thought what the @#$% is going on.
when the first cop come back he asked can you step out of the car please i said ok but why.well he says its like this.we have been stoping people all day for speeding and then you come along in this and we would like to look at the engine.so i went around and poped the hood.the drule started running then they swormed that car like it was a doenut.when they were done they asked how come i was only doing 60 i told them im in no hurry to get any where im just out for a cruze.you have a great day sir thanks i said you to.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:12 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,477,788 times
Way back along about the dawn of time, my wife and I were visiting my parents for a short vacation. We had gone to Northeast Harbor for a nice dinner to celebrate our wedding anniversary. On the way home, the road was deserted. There was nothing moving on Route 3 as we crossed the causeway that leave Mt Desert Isle. I was probably going a tad fast, but not REALLY fast....I might have been doing 60. It was almost dark, and I think it was early in the tourist season.

Anyway, I turned down the town road that led to camp and in my rear view mirror, I could see these headlights. And they were coming up behind me FAST. Once on my bumper, they stayed there. I could see that the lights belonged to an American car. The date was 1968 and I had a BMW sedan which was an almost unknown make of car in this country at that time. The car hugged my bumper like it was on a trailer hitch.

I had slowed down to let it pass, but it stayed right there. So I sped up to see what would happen....stayed right there. After a couple of miles of this, we were coming to a place in the road where there were a couple of really quick, sharp left and right curves. By that time I had decided that those big lights right on my bumper belonged to some kids in a big car that had decided to have fun with the funny little boxy car with Massachusetts plates.

I slowed down before the first turn, shifted down two gears and nailed it.

Now, I those days I was a foolish and active sports car enthusiast. My BMW was an Alpina model, that although it looked like a funky little brick, had about 150 horsepower and was set up mildly for Alpine racing. I left those headlights behind so fast that I figured the guy driving would get out to see why he had stopped.

Nope. A mile later, those headlights appeared on the second hill behind me, coming like a freight train. The road flattened and straightened out and then I could see blue lights.

The trooper asked for registration and license. Then he stepped back and said: "What IS this? I can catch you in the straight, but you sure do nail me up in the corner."

The trooper and I stood by his cruiser for about half an hour talking about cars. He had "enhanced" the carburetor in his big Plymouth, and I showed him the Weber carburetors in the BMW. My wife was SURE I was going to jail.

The next day I stopped in at the little store in town. As soon as I walked in the door, the two elderly owners said: "Well, I guess you got going a little too fast last night and met John Trooper." I must have looked a little startled that they KNEW, because they laughed and laughed until I had left.

That was in the sixties and even then you could run but not hide from the Maine State Police. (Of course, today I would STILL be in jail!)

Old 08-07-2008, 06:48 AM

if i knew where the speed traps were it wouldnt be a trap.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 PM

473 posts, read 868,423 times
In all the years I've been visiting Maine I had NEVER been through Ellsworth OR Milbridege where someone wasn't getting a speeding ticket. I drive very slow through those areas.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:18 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,927,756 times
In all the years I've lived in Maine I've never driven through Ellsworth or Millbridge!

Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
In all the years I've lived in Maine I've never driven through Ellsworth or Millbridge!
never?? i use to drive to sulivan every other week to deliver lumber.as your comeing out of ellsworth theres a nice little road side place named jordans good food but the cops sit in their parking lot and wate for speeders.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 PM

8,748 posts, read 10,927,756 times
Well if I ever did go through Ellsworth it didn't impress me enough to remember it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine