U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 02:49 PM

454 posts, read 780,377 times

Advertisements

For those of us who tend to be lead-footed demons..

SpeedTrap Exchange

When you get the web site up, click on Maine.

Then the next window is a listing of all the cities in that state.
Click on your city to see speed traps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:27 PM

38,421 posts, read 18,177,990 times
I couldnt believe that they called it a speed trap because there were police stopping cars speeding past the School for the Deaf in Portland.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,442,813 times
There aren't any "speed traps" in Maine. Maine law enforcement vehicles are all equipped with radar. ANY Maine law enforcement officer can issue speeding or other motorvehicle violations. I have seen radar in game warden's vehicles but not lately.

The local communities don't normally make a big effort at catching speeders. The simple reason is that speeding fines are paid to Augusta, NOT the local communities. Therefore, the local towns will use roving patrols running radar, and occasionally will post a cruiser near an area where speeding has become an issue and complaints by town officials or other people have become too persistant to ignore. But sitting by the side of the road, waiting for people to charge by going to fast is something that most police departments can't and don't afford to do.

A great example of how poor speed law enforcement is maintained is along the Route One stretch through Hancock. The speed limit is 40 through the village but that is commonly ignored in favor of 65 or seventy. Last fall, right outside of the little store in Hancock there was a terrible rear ender that killed a local woman. After that for about three or four days there was a State Trooper in the area slowing things down. Today, however, things are back to their rapid best.

Last September, I was turning on to Route One in Sullivan and saw an ambulance heading toward Ellsworth going like a bat out of hell. I pulled out onto Route One and could not close the distance at 65 miles per hour, and I watched that ambulance pull away through the village traveling around 35 over the limit.

What is significant here is that the ambulance was NOT displaying lights or siren....it was just booking home at the end of the shift.

In Maine, emergency vehicles....ambulances, fire trucks and the like...do not have the legal right to exceed the posted speed limit. The sirens and lights are to clear the way for their passage, NOT to allow them to exceed the speed limit.

I filed a complaint with the Maine State Police, and was told that they would follow up. I received a call from the ambulance company watch supervisor and was promised that he WOULD see that the speeding like that was not repeated.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:30 PM

169 posts, read 478,250 times
i spend some time in the cold weather down in alabama and discovered that if you are a member of the state legislature you cannot be arrested for speeding while going either to or from montgomery while the legislature is in session.............and i'm guessing other states have similiar laws from back in the day when a govornor would direct the state police to hinder key legislators heading to vote on something the govornor didn't want passed.

what a hoot, but why a free pass heading home?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
i spend some time in the cold weather down in alabama and discovered that if you are a member of the state legislature you cannot be arrested for speeding while going either to or from montgomery while the legislature is in session.............and i'm guessing other states have similiar laws from back in the day when a govornor would direct the state police to hinder key legislators heading to vote on something the govornor didn't want passed.

what a hoot, but why a free pass heading home?
I am sure that some would answer the quicker they are away from the capital. ... the less damage they can do. Not me mind you, but some.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 PM

169 posts, read 478,250 times
lots of truth in that elston..............

Old 01-12-2008, 06:43 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,549,352 times
acadianlion - Ah, but you are wrong on one thing - there is a definite speed trap at Pleasant Point on Route 190. If you're caught going over 35 mph, you will be issued a ticket and the ticket will stay within Pleasant Point. Indian reservations do not send ticket money to Augusta. They are considered their own nation and a lot of rules don't apply to them.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:54 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
oh yeah on that one Corgis! holy cow....Joey knows what he's doing there, those tickets have brought in lots of $ I am lead-footed, but I *never* speed through the Point!! I will say too, Milbridge used to be famous for stopping people, but I'm not sure that's still true.

I've also seen speed traps on I95--one cruiser parked at the top of a hill, on the radio to the ones waiting out of view......I thought they'd put an end to that, but on a trip to southern Maine this summer there they were, somewhere between the Richmond and Freeport exits.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:19 AM

I thnk I have a different definition of a "speed trap" than what is being used in this discussion. When the so called "trap" is set up to enrich some coffers particularly when the target is those passing through , I consider that a "speed trap" and it has a negative connotation. When the police are aware of a dangerous situation where scoff laws are endangering public safety, and decide to monitor and issue tickets, to get the attention of the motoring public and resolve the threat.....I consider that "law enforcement" and to me it has a good connotation. When we consider the number of deaths and injuries on our roads, and often to totally innocent people...it is hard to fault cops or a community for enforcing their laws. (I have been caught and paid fines and it didnt make me happy but it was richly deserved...it also made me much more aware of my speed and a safer driver.)

Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
To me a speed trap is an officer, or more than one, sitting along the road solely for the purpose of catching speeding drivers--it's not that they don't have anything else to do, it's that they've decided to ticket. In Calais we issue very few speeding tickets--there are a variety of reasons, but one is that there is a lot to be said for stopping someone and issuing a warning (if their speed allows for that)--generally speaking issuing a ticket results in paperwork and money to the state. Why bother with that when giving the warning serves to get the same results--and around here, even better results--than the ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or