U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2008, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Teton Valley Idaho
7,395 posts, read 11,516,174 times
Reputation: 5403

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
Thank you Petertherock. I am leaving NJ because its SO expensive here and I had heard Maine (which is my number one pick) has a high tax rate. It may be the only thing that ends up keeping me from Maine, I love your state guys!

But I cant leave one state I cant afford to be in for another where my pay will be much less as well.

Searching threads now for more info!
it will do you well to search the threads.....you will find that some of us do not pay "high" taxes at all That's part of the reason that it's so unfortunate that a search was not done before beginning another thread.

Perhaps Cornerguy will combine this with one of our all ready established taxes threads so that we don't have to repeat ourselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM
 
Location: NJ
100 posts, read 379,008 times
Reputation: 35
Thanks Mollysmiles! I so wanna be a Mainer!

And oh I am searching threads and there are some GREAT ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
I can understand facts are facts ...
In some cases, while these may be 'facts' they are also not telling the entire story and from a simply reading lead the reader toward a false conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:11 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 33,162,711 times
Reputation: 16738
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Is anyone familiar enough with the state tax code to know if maintaining a residence outside of Maine could allow me to legitimately avoid a personal income tax nexus on the Maine earned wages?
Doesn't matter where your residence is located. If you have Maine wages you pay Maine state tax on them. I worked 2 months in Maine and full time residence was in Michigan, still had to fill out the Maine non-resident tax form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Maine
497 posts, read 1,373,818 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
it will do you well to search the threads.....you will find that some of us do not pay "high" taxes at all That's part of the reason that it's so unfortunate that a search was not done before beginning another thread.

Perhaps Cornerguy will combine this with one of our all ready established taxes threads so that we don't have to repeat ourselves?
Most of the taxes I pointed out are state taxes. Everyone who lives and works and buys gas and groceries in Maine pays these high taxes. Take Florida for instance...my favorite state...no state income tax, no car inspections. I could go on and on about how much cheaper it is but I would be wasting my breath to some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Most of the taxes I pointed out are state taxes. Everyone who lives and works and buys gas and groceries in Maine pays these high taxes. Take Florida for instance...my favorite state...no state income tax, no car inspections. I could go on and on about how much cheaper it is but I would be wasting my breath to some people.
As has been pointed out to you previously, again and again.

No, not everyone living in Maine pays "these high taxes".

Twisting statistics will not make them true in all cases, nor will it make them apply to everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 10,936,285 times
Reputation: 1853
Maine charges tax on groceries? Texas has annual car inspections like most other states. I've never heard of a state that didn't. I guess there may be some. And we don't pay a "state income tax", but we do pay 8.25% sales tax on everything we buy, including dining out - except for groceries. Higher tax on gasoline. Hotel tax around Houston is 17%. Our property tax 'mil rate' to use a term you're familiar with there is $33.80 this year.

All states have different tax rates for different things, but they stick it to us all one way or the other!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Maine charges tax on groceries? Texas has annual car inspections like most other states. I've never heard of a state that didn't. I guess there may be some. And we don't pay a "state income tax", but we do pay 8.25% sales tax on everything we buy, including dining out - except for groceries. Higher tax on gasoline. Hotel tax around Houston is 17%. Our property tax 'mil rate' to use a term you're familiar with there is $33.80 this year.

All states have different tax rates for different things, but they stick it to us all one way or the other!
Good points.

Paying $33.80 per every $1,000 of assessed property value is a lot.

Certainly a lot more than our $8.42 ["our" meaning the UTs within Penobscot county] per every $1,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
 
1,961 posts, read 4,166,458 times
Reputation: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post

Perhaps Cornerguy will combine this with one of our all ready established taxes threads so that we don't have to repeat ourselves?
Great idea, mollysmiles!!!
Looking forward to an interesting new thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 PM
 
Location: South Portland, Maine
2,356 posts, read 4,939,598 times
Reputation: 1511
Hey guys...............I am in Sunny AZ as I speak. neaded to get some sunshine .

Before I left Maine on friday I paid $3.199 for a gallon of gas. I just drove into the gas station here today and its $2.789. (41 cents cheaper)

AZ total gas tax is 19cents per gallon and Maine is 29.1 cents. Me and my wife used 2400 gallons of gas last year for both our vehicles. because of the 10.1 cent differance Just in taxes we spent an extra $242 to the great state of Maine. And according to these prices we would spend an extra $984.00. Not to mention the house I am at right now, which is valued 50% more than mine, pays 1/2 the property taxes at $1600 (iam at $3600). See how the numbers start to add up.

Everyone is afraid of over generalizing the state of Maine. Yes there are towns where you can find cheap taxes. You could drive less or drive a cheaper car too. there are many things to do to save money. But the truth is........on the issue of taxes, Maine predominantly is higher. At least compared to AZ. I've been wearing shorts all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top