U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:29 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,137,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Perhaps Cornerguy will combine this with one of our all ready established taxes threads so that we don't have to repeat ourselves?
While the topic of taxes has come fairly frequently, the number of threads totally devoted to the subject is surprisingly small.

Maybe we'll just leave this one run its course; might even get a couple of new opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 03:55 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,212 times
Cool Taxes

The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending your tax money. A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

Tax his land, Tax his wage, Tax his bed in which he lays. Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes is the rule. Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat. Tax his ties, Tax his shirts, Tax his work, Tax his dirt. Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think. Tax his booze, Tax his beers, if he cries, Tax his tears. Tax his bills, Tax his gas, Tax his notes, Tax his cash. Tax him good and let him know that after taxes, he has no dough. If he hollers, Tax him more; Tax him until he's good and sore. Tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he lays. Put these words upon his tomb, 'Taxes drove me to my doom!' And when he's gone, We won't relax, We’ll still be after the inheritance tax!

Accounts Receivable Tax, Building Permit Tax, CDL License Tax, Cigarette Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Dog License Tax, Federal Income Tax, Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA), Fishing License Tax, Food License Tax, Fuel Perm it Tax, Gasoline Tax, Hunting License Tax, Inheritance Tax, Inventory Tax, IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax), IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax), Liquor Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage License Tax, Medicare Tax, Property Tax, Real Estate Tax, Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax (Truckers), Sales Taxes, Recreational Vehicle Tax, School Tax, State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA), Telephone Federal Excise Tax, Telephone Federal Universal Service Fe e Tax, Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax, Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax, Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax, Telephone State and Local Tax, Telephone Usage Charge Tax, Utility Tax, Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Watercraft Registration Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened? Can you spell ‘politicians? And I still have to 'press 1' for English.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM

100 posts, read 378,781 times
[quote=dmyankee;2499134][font=Tahoma] Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and mom stayed home to raise the kids.

QUOTE]

Mom stayed home to raise kids. That is my DREAM job. But in todays society, alas, it is but a dream for me.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
We had to figure out if we could afford to leave our jobs in Orono and Bangor to move out here. We totaled the expenses of me working - gas, clothing, day care, eating at Governor's every Friday night, take out after a hard day at work, more expensive lunches than I'd have made at home, etc. I didn't include the cost of a second vehicle because I would have had one even if I hadn't worked. I had a good paying county job at the time but it didn't matter. In the end I was working 40 hrs a week, gone 50 hours a week, and putting my kid in day care for a take home of $50 a week. I could have saved more than that being home. Me working cost us money every week. I was depressed for days. I've worked part time at a couple of jobs since then but after our youngest was born I started working from home. We're a lot better off financially off after walking away from today's society. I'm not saying this is true for anyone else, it's only our experience.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
The next time you hear a politician use the word 'billion' in a casual manner, think about whether you want the 'politicians' spending your tax money. A billion is a difficult number to comprehend, but one advertising agency did a good job of putting that figure into some perspective in one of its releases.

A billion seconds ago it was 1959.

A billion minutes ago Jesus was alive.

A billion dollars ago was only 8 hours and 20 minutes, at the rate our government is spending it.

Tax his land, Tax his wage, Tax his bed in which he lays. Tax his tractor, Tax his mule, Teach him taxes is the rule. Tax his cow, Tax his goat, Tax his pants, Tax his coat. Tax his ties, Tax his shirts, Tax his work, Tax his dirt. Tax his tobacco, Tax his drink, Tax him if he tries to think. Tax his booze, Tax his beers, if he cries, Tax his tears. Tax his bills, Tax his gas, Tax his notes, Tax his cash. Tax him good and let him know that after taxes, he has no dough. If he hollers, Tax him more; Tax him until he's good and sore. Tax his coffin, Tax his grave, Tax the sod in which he lays. Put these words upon his tomb, 'Taxes drove me to my doom!' And when he's gone, We won't relax, We’ll still be after the inheritance tax!

Accounts Receivable Tax, Building Permit Tax, CDL License Tax, Cigarette Tax, Corporate Income Tax, Dog License Tax, Federal Income Tax, Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA), Fishing License Tax, Food License Tax, Fuel Perm it Tax, Gasoline Tax, Hunting License Tax, Inheritance Tax, Inventory Tax, IRS Interest Charges (tax on top of tax), IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax), Liquor Tax, Luxury Tax, Marriage License Tax, Medicare Tax, Property Tax, Real Estate Tax, Service charge taxes, Social Security Tax, Road Usage Tax (Truckers), Sales Taxes, Recreational Vehicle Tax, School Tax, State Income Tax, State Unemployment Tax (SUTA), Telephone Federal Excise Tax, Telephone Federal Universal Service Fe e Tax, Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Tax, Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax, Telephone Recurring and Non-recurring Charges Tax, Telephone State and Local Tax, Telephone Usage Charge Tax, Utility Tax, Vehicle License Registration Tax, Vehicle Sales Tax, Watercraft Registration Tax, Workers Compensation Tax.
STILL THINK THIS IS FUNNY?

Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago, and our nation was the most prosperous in the world. We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class in the world, and mom stayed home to raise the kids.

What happened? Can you spell ‘politicians? And I still have to 'press 1' for English.
Good post with two exceptions.

75 years ago three taxes did exist which would have slightly effected your list.

There was an income tax, but the only bracket in it was for the extremely wealthy, the top 1% of the wealthy did have to file income taxes.

Also there was property taxes [in cities].

And there was import tariffs.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:07 AM

2,052 posts, read 3,973,212 times
I stand corrected!

Old 01-13-2008, 01:12 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,507,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
We had to figure out if we could afford to leave our jobs in Orono and Bangor to move out here. We totaled the expenses of me working - gas, clothing, day care, eating at Governor's every Friday night, take out after a hard day at work, more expensive lunches than I'd have made at home, etc. I didn't include the cost of a second vehicle because I would have had one even if I hadn't worked. I had a good paying county job at the time but it didn't matter. In the end I was working 40 hrs a week, gone 50 hours a week, and putting my kid in day care for a take home of $50 a week. I could have saved more than that being home. Me working cost us money every week. I was depressed for days. I've worked part time at a couple of jobs since then but after our youngest was born I started working from home. We're a lot better off financially off after walking away from today's society. I'm not saying this is true for anyone else, it's only our experience.

It's my experience as well....and I truly believe that unless the second income is substantial--I'm thinking 65K or more, it's most everyone's experience. It really does require an honest look at things though, and some families are so caught up in keeping up with the Jones', or at least maintaining that appearance of keeping up, they will never sit down and take that look. Unfortunately, children are only children for a short time, and sometimes parents realize too late what they've missed for so very little in return.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:16 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
It's my experience as well....and I truly believe that unless the second income is substantial--I'm thinking 65K or more, it's most everyone's experience. It really does require an honest look at things though, and some families are so caught up in keeping up with the Jones', or at least maintaining that appearance of keeping up, they will never sit down and take that look. Unfortunately, children are only children for a short time, and sometimes parents realize too late what they've missed for so very little in return.
Well, for those of us who don't have kids, it's not so bad.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:47 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Maine
The Facts on Maine’s Tax Climate

Here are some basic facts on Maine’s tax system and how it compares to other states:

Tax Freedom Day Arrived on May 4th in Maine

Tax Freedom Day is the day when Americans finally have earned enough money to pay off their total tax bill for the year. In 2007, Maine taxpayers had to work until May 4th (ranked 11th highest nationally) to pay their total tax bill, four days after Tax Freedom Day for the nation as a whole on April 30th. The Tax freedom Days of neighboring states were: New Hampshire on April 22nd (33rd nationally) and Massachusetts on May 6th (9th nationally).
It is a fact that this has been published.

It is not a fact to say that all Mainers had to work until May 4th to pay their total tax bill. I am thinking that ours was done in January.

This is from one group of folks using statistics to try to prove something. From their stats saying that Maine ranks 11th, is fine with me. According to their methods ten other states are worse.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:09 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times
Maine has taxes? I'll be darned. It doesn't seem to keep the deer from multiplying, the shrimp from gathering in nets, the lobsters from being caught, the wild berries from growing, the moose from getting bigger or the trees from being felled.

The taxes have not impacted the depth of blue in the sky above nor the crisp freshness of spring waters around the state. There is no loss of income as a result of the taxes and there are not the worries in Maine that other states suffer through - crime being one.

The hummingbirds still flock to the feeders and chickadees still roost on pine branches. Snow keeps falling and snowmen still abound in yards across the state.

The essence and spirit of Maine is alive and well, taxed or not. The things that matter to the sensitive beings of the state worry not with taxes but of the frangrance of a freshly baked pie cooling on their window sil.

All states have a tax burden to bear, but given my choice, I prefer to bear that burden in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine