U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:38 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,147,270 times

Advertisements

One item you may want to take into consideration when viewing the overall Oregon tax load is the absence of any sales tax. One of the few places in the world where a sticker price of $1.99 actually gets yu a penny change from 2 bucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM

8,187 posts, read 21,755,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
One item you may want to take into consideration when viewing the overall Oregon tax load is the absence of any sales tax. One of the few places in the world where a sticker price of $1.99 actually gets yu a penny change from 2 bucks.
True, but Oregon does have really high property tax. The state has to get paid somehow.

I am still not sure about the taxes that I pay in Maine. On one side the state sales tax is the lowest that I have ever seen and the tax on my revenue so far has been almost non-existent (which makes me wander if I will owe when I file?). On the other side, cigarette tax is extremely high, registering a vehicle seems a bit expensive, beer is overpriced if bought from a store (seriously, Geary's is cheaper in Minnesota, and it is brewed right here in Portland), gas is too expensive in relation to the average wage, food items in general seem to be overpriced in relation to the average wage.

Not sure if it is all due to taxes, though, but Portland at least seems to have a cost of living that is out of whack with the general economy of the state.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,939,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I am still not sure about the taxes that I pay in Maine. On one side the state sales tax is the lowest that I have ever seen and the tax on my revenue so far has been almost non-existent (which makes me wander if I will owe when I file?). On the other side, cigarette tax is extremely high, registering a vehicle seems a bit expensive, beer is overpriced if bought from a store (seriously, Geary's is cheaper in Minnesota, and it is brewed right here in Portland), gas is too expensive in relation to the average wage, food items in general seem to be overpriced in relation to the average wage.

Not sure if it is all due to taxes, though, but Portland at least seems to have a cost of living that is out of whack with the general economy of the state.
last week I paid 3.199 for a gallon of gas in Maine, When I got to AZ I paid 2.789 and a few days later I paid 2.679

I see these kind of differences just from Maine to Mass. 41 cents.....52 cents...thats a huge difference. I know Maine charges more in gas tax when compared to most other states....I have to assume that the businesses as well are paying more in tax to the state of maine all way up to the gas carriers. There is a trickling effect with taxes. By the time we pay for products on a shelf we are paying for everones taxes.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 AM

38 posts, read 131,603 times
Default Taxes can't be that bad.

Well, currently I live in California. Gas- $3.59-$3.99 for premium one of the highest in the nation... if not the highest, 8.25% sales tax in Los Angeles, 1.25% housing taxes (with the average house where I live way over $1million=$12,000++/yr paid in taxes, food prices are one ofthe highest in the nation, cost of electric utilities is one of the highest, and it costs $200-$500 just to register your car every year-depending on how expensive your car is. And just think, it used to be 2-3 times more expensive to register your car before Arnold (The Governator) of California lowered this cost to register your car. The list goes on and on from there.... So while Maine may pay its workers less and may have high taxes, to the people in Southern California, life is muchhhhhhhhhh more affordable where you are. And you have cleaner air and less pollution to boot! Its not wonder that my wife and I are considering moving to Maine in the near future.

Last edited by Maine2009; 01-18-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine2009 View Post
Well, currently I live in California. ...
I grew up in California. Between Modesto and Merced. My family all live there still.

I took a four year sabbatical in my career and I attended college in Fresno.

Going back to work, I visited my relatives annually through-out my career. I have seen what they go through. What they pay, and how the area has changed.

When I was approaching retirement, I was encouraged to move back to the Modesto area.

I choose Maine.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,088,313 times
Alice has my vote on the best way to say it. And I would have given her all the reps possibile, but alas not allowed. Maine is worth the costs, taxes and decrease in wages that come with the move. We will be arriving in Maine in two months and we will have given up a job that pays twice what will be made in Maine. All the furniture we have now and alot of the other "stuff" we have gathered over 20 years down here in Florida. (small car and small bank account - make it impossible to bring things via truck etc)
When we get there we will have gained so much more that we could ever hope to have here. The beautiful state and it's people are worth what ever it takes us to be part of again. We will move into a very small house (to rent) and start planting a garden and hunting to help us beable to live the dream of being back in a state we were both born and raised in and miss desperatly. sorry for raving on and on.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:37 PM

8,187 posts, read 21,755,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine2009 View Post
Well, currently I live in California. Gas- $3.59-$3.99 for premium one of the highest in the nation... if not the highest, 8.25% sales tax in Los Angeles, 1.25% housing taxes (with the average house where I live way over $1million=$12,000++/yr paid in taxes, food prices are one ofthe highest in the nation, cost of electric utilities is one of the highest, and it costs $200-$500 just to register your car every year-depending on how expensive your car is. And just think, it used to be 2-3 times more expensive to register your car before Arnold (The Governator) of California lowered this cost to register your car. The list goes on and on from there.... So while Maine may pay its workers less and may have high taxes, to the people in Southern California, life is muchhhhhhhhhh more affordable where you are. And you have cleaner air and less pollution to boot! Its not wonder that my wife and I are considering moving to Maine in the near future.
Yes, living in LA is extremely expensive but you are missing something. Mainers just don't 'make less money'-they make significantly less money as compared to LA. I wouldn't even call it pocket change-more like pocket lint. Yes, there are plenty of poor people in LA, but it is typical for someone to make $100,000+ a year. That happens in Maine, but it is more of the exception. Maine has a really high percentage of college graduates who leave the state once they receive their degrees-and it is because it will get them no where here. They could easily make 2-3 times of what they'd make here in almost any other state-depending on degree.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Yes, living in LA is extremely expensive but you are missing something. Mainers just don't 'make less money'-they make significantly less money as compared to LA. I wouldn't even call it pocket change-more like pocket lint. Yes, there are plenty of poor people in LA, but it is typical for someone to make $100,000+ a year. That happens in Maine, but it is more of the exception.
True.

In L.A. earning $150k/year is middle class; and you can live in a high crime neighborhood with a two hour commute on congested freeways, sucking in smog.

Or you can live in Maine on $40k/year and enjoy a much higher standard of living.

It is a big difference.

I prefer Maine.

Quote:
... Maine has a really high percentage of college graduates who leave the state once they receive their degrees-and it is because it will get them no where here. They could easily make 2-3 times of what they'd make here in almost any other state-depending on degree.
I was going over some CSA websites today, and my Farmers' Market site: and I was really surprised at how many farmers in Maine here carry degrees.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 PM

40 posts, read 85,097 times
[quote=casualobserver;2495638]I can understand facts are facts and the people who have chosen to live in Maine have obviously chosen to live with the facts cited above.

Nonetheless, the forum does get its share of "move to Maine" inquiries and it might be the neighborly thing to do to mention this to those who seem to be chasing dreams of panacea.

You should definitely consult a tax advisor before bringing or doing any business in this state. It's not tax friendly. If you're a high income earner or planning on bringing business here....the most attractive part is our excellent work force available. It's definitely a trade off and of course employers are forced to pay lower wages but the work force understands that. I wouldn't rule Maine out...just see what it means to you in Dollars and Cents first so you aren't surprised. Also..property tax..you may opt for a smaller home rather then be enticed by a huge mansion that could have a 9k annual prop. tax connected w/ it. You can purchase a home very inexpensively here in comparison to neighboring states...the property taxes and utility bills should be reviewed when last occupied before purchasing as the electric bills can also run well over 5k per year. A smaller, newer, energy efficient home w/ beautiful views is most practical. Land tax IS low !!

Old 04-25-2009, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 3,001 times
Dear Abby,

I am with you 100% - I miss Maine and and would rather live there in poverty where at least the people are warm and real than have all the luxuries in the world. Just wondering - Is your Dad's name Timothy and your Mom's Gail?? Your grandfather would be Robert and his wife would be Katherine??

All were all dear friends to me.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine