U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times

Advertisements

An area that provides a lot of municipal services must have a high budget to pay for all those things.

An area where there are nearly no services provided should in theory have a lower budget. [depending on the politicians and their cut]

We like rural.

It has been our observation that urban areas along with the higher density of people tend to have a higher density of politicians and municipality officals who each want their salary and a cut.

We have an apartment building in Norwich Ct. To inspect an apartment and get a "certificate of occupancy" [which is needed to rent] requires four different city inspectors. They each have their own version of code thet are inspecting for. One wants a door to be shut, the next wants the door removed. They each have their own system for taking their 'cut' to approve a unit. We have scheduled inspections where all four inspectors were in the building at the same time. It was fun watching their arguments. How can we exist as a society with conflicting building codes? But we do.

As a group they are ashamed to be asking for their 'cuts', so we get away cheaper by having them inspect as a group. Doing individual inspections costs much more as each inspector wants a higher cut.

Now I do understand that it does cost money to have a town clerk. Plus it will cost more for each time a guy must grease her palm.

It costs the tax payers every time a town hires another building inspector, or fire marshall, or health inspector, or housing inspector. Plus it costs more each time that you need their signatures. We are a nation of the best inspectors and politicians that your money can 'buy'.

We prefer towns where they have no clerks, no selectman, no mayors, no inspectors and no politicians. A lower town budget, lower taxes and less money that you pay each time you want to plant a tree [Or paint, or re-roof, or rent an apartment].

We like Maine

I understand that over-all it all averages out.

When I pay no state income taxes, and my property taxes are very low, and my vehicle taxes are low; then it 'feels' like I am paying very little taxes.

So I can be 'happy'.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM

134 posts, read 459,053 times
[quote=retiredtinbender;8533093]When i was stationed in UK we werre told we couldn't go home "a good Yank" unless we had a Volvo (complete with tour of plant and then pick up car) or a Belgian wall unit. Ex decided on teh wall unit. Glad to see some things don't change. Welcome back home.

Tks retiredinbender.. yeah got both the Volvo and the Belgian wall unit ... 10 years so lots of time to "accumalate' It has been fun and good but time to come back home and we are ready.

Forest your post is dead on. Other things go into the equation as well. We did a ranch with no basement and after seeing the property tax assesment on our property realized it was in our favor. It was funny to see what causes your property tax to be increased.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 4,940,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We have an apartment building in Norwich Ct. To inspect an apartment and get a "certificate of occupancy" [which is needed to rent] requires four different city inspectors. They each have their own version of code thet are inspecting for. One wants a door to be shut, the next wants the door removed. They each have their own system for taking their 'cut' to approve a unit. We have scheduled inspections where all four inspectors were in the building at the same time. It was fun watching their arguments. How can we exist as a society with conflicting building codes? But we do.
When are you going to sell that place Forest and buy something closer to home?. It must be a real headache to manage?

You have Portland, L/A, and Bangor to chose from.. I imagine anywhere near U-Maine must be good rent right now too..

(Certificate of Occupancy) I could totaly see the cities getting completley carried away with a law like that here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine