U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is the real middle class
less than 25k 0 0%
25k to 40k 6 14.29%
40k to 55k 10 23.81%
55k to 70k 18 42.86%
more than 70k 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 PM

52 posts, read 146,070 times

Advertisements

Many people confuse assests and liabilities. A new car that you need to pay off is a liability. Even if paid for in cash, the car is destined to depreciate (with very rare exception). That's not to say that new cars are bad, they just don't represent smart investments.

For those who don't like reading economics textbooks but would like an easy reading primer on financial management try picking up a copy of "The Millionaire Next Door." It talks a lot about what Forest has already touched on.

Most popular vehicle for millionaires in the US? Rolls Royce? No. Ferrari? No. It's the Ford F-150, 30% of millionaires drive one. If you don't want to read the whole book, here's a quick review that touches on the topics. Book Review: The Millionaire Next Door (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 05:56 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
I'll second the plug for "The Millionaire Next Door". It's a very good read. Should be required reading in freshman high school class, along with a common-sense course on personal economics.

I had a course called "Economics" freshman year of HS, it dealt solely with national economics and just about useless on a personal level. It's no wonder why so many people are so screwed up financially these days. Nobody (that I know of) teaches them about personal finance until the School of Hard Knocks whacks them up side the head.

Easy credit, "buy now pay later", "What you want, when you want it" (I hate that advertisement)...how to become a slave without even trying (or realizing). I cringe when I see someone in a grocery store whip out a credit (not debit) card to pay for $10 worth of groceries...sure, finance your bread on the 30 year amortization plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine