U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,466,959 times

Advertisements

You just gave me an idea I should have come up with on my own.

Forest, I have a mission for you, should you decide to accept it.

Can you design a chicken tractor that one woman who walks with a cane can move on her own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM

29,749 posts, read 47,567,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
You just gave me an idea I should have come up with on my own.

Forest, I have a mission for you, should you decide to accept it.

Can you design a chicken tractor that one woman who walks with a cane can move on her own?
We have problems with ruts and old tree stumps, the ground is rugged and not flat/level. So it must be lifted up and carried, to be moved.

I have seen them designed with wheels so one end could be lifted and carted into it's next position. But that would only work on flat/level packed soil.

Try this: six panels [eight foot by four foot PVC rectangle strung with chicken wire, each panel might weigh 5 to 10 pounds], four of them stood up to form a corral, two on top as a roof, all panels connected together with twine.

Just let the chickens out, and cut loose all twine, it will collapse, and then you move each panel individually.

Set them up in the new location, leaving one corner open. Shake a pail with a 1/4 cup of feed in it, as you walk a circle around the pen, then dump it in through the roof. The chickens will be following you around the pen, and will all go inside when you dump their feed inside.

Would that work for you?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:48 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,466,959 times
Sounds workable to a degree, but I have trouble bending over. Well, I can bend over, it's getting back upright that I would have trouble with. I'll keep thinking along those lines. And you're right, the stumps and saplings and such would be a problem for maneuvering it.

Thank you.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:00 PM

17,185 posts, read 22,223,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Yet another thing I've never seen in the wilds of nature! I can imagine pulling an apple straight off the tree, brushing it off with my shirt and taking a big bite, juice splattering all over my chin and cheeks! MMMmmmm!!!
apple picking is quite the event and adventure in the fall, the orchards open up to the public and you wander about in the orchard picking your own off the apple trees of your choice.

many orchards offer horse drawn wagons to bring folks from the parking lot to the orchards...kids love this,,and most kids love the apple picking.....

strawberry picking seems to be growing in popularity also,same idea,,take your containers and go picking strawberries, out in the strawberry fields

Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
... Thank you.
You are welcome, sweet heart.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM

393 posts, read 790,739 times
I am awaiting shipment of my apple trees this May! I ordered 6 Honeycrisp (my absolute favorite variety) and for cross-pollination, 1 Macoun and 1 Crimson Crisp (the latter is scab-resistant). I ordered them on a semi-dwarf rootstock.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
I am awaiting shipment of my apple trees this May! I ordered 6 Honeycrisp (my absolute favorite variety) and for cross-pollination, 1 Macoun and 1 Crimson Crisp (the latter is scab-resistant). I ordered them on a semi-dwarf rootstock.
Sounds great !

Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM

5,498 posts, read 6,441,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
Last year I purchased 11 trees of various varieties on the Russian Antonovka semi-standard rootstock (for its ability to withstand heavy clay soil).

Unfortunately, the deer have been at all but one of them. I don't know if they are going to survive, I should have fenced them...hindsight is...

Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Last year I purchased 11 trees of various varieties on the Russian Antonovka semi-standard rootstock (for its ability to withstand heavy clay soil).

Unfortunately, the deer have been at all but one of them. I don't know if they are going to survive, I should have fenced them...hindsight is...
I hope they survive.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 PM

5,498 posts, read 6,441,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I hope they survive.
I checked them today, the unmunched Wealthy looks like buds are starting to form and perhaps some of the others as well. Time will tell.

Right now they're just heeled-in, I need to build the raised beds and transplant them. I ran out of money for that last year but a number of trees blew down recently so I'm going to cut them up and use them instead of buying lumber.

I had hoped to be able to buy more trees this year, but certain events have transpired which prevented it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine