U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,138,945 times

Advertisements

Could I find a deer here last November? Nooooooooo. But they've found my apple trees in the last two weeks and have eaten tips of branches on almost all of them. I'm planting peaches and apricots next week and will cage them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 AM

5,489 posts, read 6,432,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Could I find a deer here last November? Nooooooooo. But they've found my apple trees in the last two weeks and have eaten tips of branches on almost all of them. I'm planting peaches and apricots next week and will cage them.
There is a pair that hang around here regularly, even in Nov (maybe they know they're safe here). They usually don't spook anymore if I pull in while they are feeding. There was a third with them a couple of weeks ago that did spook, but the other two didn't. I haven't seen Hopalong for quite some time though, coyotes probably got him- I think it was the winter before last (I really should start writing stuff down) when I spotted him kind of hopping through the snow, his left front leg was broken.

They don't usually go in the fenced garden area, and I knew I should have fenced the trees (even got some freecycled fencing and posts) but just didn't get to it- work picked up early and stayed heavy through Jan. so I didn't even finish getting firewood split up. Maybe I'll get everything done on time *this* year...or not.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:05 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I know a farm where there are about 30 different apple varieties. Some trees have two very different kinds and they are all the old varieties. One thing you need to be wary of is deer. I have a friend who planted about 10 saplings. The first year they were 7 feet tall; The second year they were 4 feet tall and the third year they were nibbled down to stumps by deer.
How do commercial farmers keep deer and otherr wildlife from eating their crops?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I was given two butternut bare-root trees today.

The lady who gave them to me does really good with her apples and peaches. I asked her about how to stop animals eating them. She insisted the only cure is 6 foot tall chicken-wire fencing.

It was a part of a deal we had bartered in exchange for me spending a day helping her mend fences. With the snow load on her fences, she loses about half of her fence posts each winter. Last week I dug up 20 fence posts that had snapped off as the posts rotted, and we replaced them.

My back still hurts.

Any one want 2 butternut trees?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,917,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My back still hurts.

Any one want 2 butternut trees?
Sure, if you really want to hand them off! I'll be in the neighborhood tomorrow afternoon, picking up my cart wheel, which I had welded.

I have to dig a hole SOON to plant my new "farm sales sign" (the a-frame chalk board keeps getting erased by the weather) and while I am swinging the mattock and wielding the shovel, I might as well dig a couple more holes.

DM me or message me on Facebook!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:48 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,145,643 times
Peaches in Maine, MW? I would have thought it too cold for consistent bud survival.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 PM

29,730 posts, read 47,517,527 times
I was in Belfast today on a farm where she grows peaches.

In Brooklin Maine is a farm ['Five Star Nursery'] that has a peach orchard. As vendors in a farmer's market they do well selling peaches every year.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,145,643 times
I don't doubt your reports that there is a peach industry in Maine, fb. I was just surprised that the climate would be mild enough.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,138,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Peaches in Maine, MW? I would have thought it too cold for consistent bud survival.
It's thanks to the benefits of hybridization (which is not genetic engineering). There's been a variety good to zone 4 but it wasn't the best for eating off the tree. It was ok for canning. There are varieties that bloom later so they miss frost. I'm told they're delicious off the tree.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 AM

16,455 posts, read 21,480,134 times
Hey FB, are there any actually healthy butternut trees around you? They're almost all dead here, from butternut canker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine