U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:32 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times

Advertisements

Roof shoveling? Metal roofs!?!? Never heard of either since I moved to Maine-Never heard of such in Minnesota either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:41 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
Yup and yup. I didn't think we were going to have to clear snow from a metal roof. I was wrong. It built up last week and wipe out our radio cable for internet and satellite dish for television when it finally let go. We'll be having those moved in the spring.

We got a lot of snow back to back. It usually clears itself when there hasn't been 25" in two days.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:34 AM

612 posts, read 1,063,335 times
Experts recommend removing roof snow to prevent leaking. Is this really necessary? Read article below for reference.

Experts recommend removing roof snow to prevent leaking (http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=158504&zoneid=500 - broken link)

Last edited by Eastport4me; 01-16-2008 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: add read article.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:19 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEnME View Post
Experts recommend removing roof snow to prevent leaking. Is this really necessary? Read article below for reference.

Experts recommend removing roof snow to prevent leaking (http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=158504&zoneid=500 - broken link)
Yes, it is under some circumstances.

A shingle roof once it forms an ice dam along the eave will push water up underneath the shingles and into the attic.

I have a neighbor who experienced this last week. I helped them to remove their ice dams.

A metal roof [which are fairly popular in this area] is not subject to such issues.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Roof shoveling? Metal roofs!?!? Never heard of either since I moved to Maine-Never heard of such in Minnesota either.
You were not paying attention then. I have a cousin who shovels roofs during the winters, and installs metal roofing during the summers. They live just north of Duluth, MN.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You were not paying attention then. I have a cousin who shovels roofs during the winters, and installs metal roofing during the summers. They live just north of Duluth, MN.
Aside from the Boundary Waters, nothing is really going on north of Duluth except for caribou. So, you are correct-I was not paying attention.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:13 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

A metal roof [which are fairly popular in this area] is not subject to such issues.
FB, I'm going to have to disagree on this one. After that big snow I got a leak on the second floor. I haven't located exactly how and where, but it's there.

I've been told that one needs to check the screws periodically to make sure that they are tight and that the gasket-washers are in good shape.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:04 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Metal roofs have their own unique issues.

Each screw is supposed to have a special type of rubber grommet, those grommets fail if they have been tightened too tight. Some of mine did fail when I was installing our roof.

However in terms of ice dams causing problems, I simply do not see it happening. My metal roof panels reach from the peak to the eave. 20-some foot with one piece of sheet metal. There is no way for an ice dam to back water up and between the shingles.

Will ice / snow tighten a screw? Over-tightening it to cause it's grommet to fail? I doubt it.

Will ice / snow loosen a screw? I could see that as more likely.

I think that an annual tour of my roof would be a good thing to do. Sweep it off, hose it down. and do a visual inspection. I did one such inspection last summer, and I plan to do one each summer.

I rather like the view from our roof top. I would like to put a deck up there with a gazebo as a place to sit and watch out over the marsh.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:21 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Aside from the Boundary Waters, nothing is really going on north of Duluth except for caribou. So, you are correct-I was not paying attention.

Except for the people who live there and call it home. I suppose there is nothing north of Portland either in Maine?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Except for the people who live there and call it home. I suppose there is nothing north of Portland either in Maine?
Yes, there is Hibbing (which has some very strange, interesting history), Bemidji and a slew of other small towns. Northern Minnesota is very beautiful. I was just being cheeky as I rarely been up that way. I thought that Portland was Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine