U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

2,133 posts, read 5,147,964 times

Advertisements

To get back on topic for just a second, I think the best way to find that type of job would be to work through an employment agency.

I have rarely seen them advertised openly in the newspapers, other than the Sunday Portland paper. Debt collection is not a job that most people can do for any length of time so you might even check with the temp agencies to see if they get those types of jobs that would eventually lead to a full-time position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 AM

281 posts, read 943,487 times
Thank you for the laughs! I am a business credit and collection manager in Atlanta. But I collect business debt not consmer debt. I remember as a kid seeing people with tar siding, junked out yards, plastic on the windows....BUT they had themselves a huge satalite dish and a pretty new Ford!

Last edited by CreditWitch; 01-17-2008 at 10:22 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-20-2008, 05:42 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,728,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndi04605 View Post
I am looking for a Debt Collection job Bangor Maine area. Thank you
Though I can't help with the jobs lead, thought I'd share this with you...I currently work in a call center as well. Welcome, Cyndi.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,728,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
The way to avoid a visit from the repo man or a debt collector is to live with in your means. Drive a car you can afford. Leave your credit card in your purse.

I know there are exceptions to this - but most people I know that have debt collectors beating on their door usually have over extended themselves. Spending money on c**p they don't really need. Buying new fancy cars. Keeping up with the Jone's.

I was raised that I'm only as good as my word. If I buy something and agree to make payments, I'm expected to make those payments. If I don't, I deserve to have car, TV, etc repossessed.

Good thing for me I drive a beat up old (but paid for) truck and when we desire a new TV or whatever, we save our money and pay for it cash. Credit card are for emergencies only, IMHO
Well put. It seems so simple, but clearly the majority of folks just don't get it.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,150,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
The way to avoid a visit from the repo man or a debt collector is to live with in your means. Drive a car you can afford. Leave your credit card in your purse.

I know there are exceptions to this - but most people I know that have debt collectors beating on their door usually have over extended themselves. Spending money on c**p they don't really need. Buying new fancy cars. Keeping up with the Jone's.

I was raised that I'm only as good as my word. If I buy something and agree to make payments, I'm expected to make those payments. If I don't, I deserve to have car, TV, etc repossessed.

Good thing for me I drive a beat up old (but paid for) truck and when we desire a new TV or whatever, we save our money and pay for it cash. Credit card are for emergencies only, IMHO
Hey- you forgot one- don't get sick or need medical services or prescriptions when you don't have adequate insurance! (Not all consumer credit debt is the result of senseless self-indulgence...).

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,818,846 times
Excellant discussion. Deerislesmile,, you hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,014,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Hey- you forgot one- don't get sick or need medical services or prescriptions when you don't have adequate insurance! (Not all consumer credit debt is the result of senseless self-indulgence...).
Very true though this is why I started the second sentence of my post with "I know there are exceptions to this".

The vast majority of those people I know in debt are indeed the result of self-indulgence. Quite frankly I have a hard time sympathizing with these folks.

To those of you that are ill and suffering, I offer you my prayers.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM

40 posts, read 85,103 times
I think they must be joking about your car being damaged or being shot!!

There is a call center in Brewer Maine....near Bangor. They're having great luck w/ selling the mineral makeup product over the phone. They're in the industrial park...sorry..don't know the name of it.

Collections jobs can be done from home if you search online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine