Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 01:14 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,089 times

Advertisements

Hi,
In my research of communities to move to I have been looking at test scores for schools in the Greater Portland area. I don't invest 100 percent in test scores, but it is really one of the only methods available for comparing schools. One of the problems is that the ranking is based on the test in Maine. When I look at North Carolina it is for that state's test. I have not been able to find anything to see how they equate to National Standards. If I just look at scores between my current area and Maine, Maine is significantly lower, but I am sure it is due to a difference in the tests. Can anyone direct me how to get a fair comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 01:52 PM

9 posts, read 31,091 times
I do not know of a way for a fair comparison but I live in Bangor and my wife and I love the education my kids are getting. I have one going into the 6th grade and one going into the 4th. Going into 4th they have both taken Otis Lenin ability tests for Gifted and Talented program. I'm not sure if that is a national test but 150 is the highest you can get and my oldest got a 149 and the other a 150. They have also tken Metropolitan tests and score in the 98 to 99 percentile (except spelling for the oldest ). I am not sure about the rest of the state but Bangor truly has one of the best school departments in the state and I'm pretty sure they rank high nationally.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:57 PM

222 posts, read 529,783 times
Default Been there, taught there

Hi-
I have taught on the west coast, in the middle of the country, and on the east coast. Maine schools are great in general and much more focused on actual learning than on teaching to the test. Some states (TEXAS) are so test driven the students are like puppets led to the scantron to bubble in canned answers to repetitive questions. It was a joke-seniors made it to graduation day unable to write a concise sentence or solve an algebraic equation-but they had fantastic bubbling skills. In Maine, the classes are small, and there is still a focus on learning.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:57 AM

581 posts, read 712,961 times
Default Maine is ranked 5th smartest state

This report also contains national educational rankings by state, though there may be some cost in accessing the full report: Smartest State 2006-2007

Old 07-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Thanks

Having gone through standardized tests myself I am not a big fan, but it seems to be the only measure to get an overview to compare schools. It appears with No Child Left Behind that states will spend their time teaching to tests that are set as the lowest common denominator to make sure they are making the grade. I really wish they'd do national testing since it seems like the tests can vary so widely between states. It's like comparing apples and oranges. I've been searching the net for a site that has what each states level of competency is on the national, but have yet to find it. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2007, 07:15 PM

44 posts, read 130,421 times
Default best schools

I for one don't hold a lot of stock in mandated testing but you can look over the results. Maine's department of education's website might have that information. I know some schools make the bad list because of factors out of their control like the lower socio economic reasons or immigrant status of their students. Schools in affluent areas tend to do better. Check also if the school has any national merit finalists and how many students go on to Ivy League schools. I work for a public high school here in Maine where I would want my kids to go when they reach that age. The school hasn't made adequate progress for three years but it is still top notch yet stymied by the social economic problems of its students. Some graduates are attending Brown and other fine colleges. I'm very happy with what we have gotten from our local elementary school for my own children and they are right where they need to be in terms of assessment.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 PM

36 posts, read 84,281 times
I sadly disagree with these posts. My husband and I have grown up in Maine all our lives and now reside in the Bangor area. We now have 2 children for whom we want the best education for. We have resorted to home schooling because of the lack of education and challenging a child's ability to advance. It seems they keep everyone on the same page if you know what I mean. Drug use is in abundance here and I'm sure it's everywhere, but disturbingly so in the schools here. 2 children were caught for trafficking and use in the 5th grade just a few weeks ago. It hits home because it was the very class my son would have been in.

We're actually planning to move to NC and we're doing the same thing you are, looking for good schools for our kids. I'd like a rest from home schooling and I know they'd enjoy some of the extras that we can't fit in or do at home. If you know of any good schools around Raleigh to Hillsborough areas let me know.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:38 PM

Default jim and cyn where do you live?

I am just wondering where is it around Bangor that kids are selling drugs in the 5th grade?
If you want to DM me for info on NC that is fine. It would be off topic for me to respond here.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 PM

874 posts, read 1,855,332 times
Not much to add but when looking at scores find out if a school is includes special ed students or if they are put in separate schools. Teaching special kids in classes with the rest of the kids is great for so many reasons. It will bring down standardized tests scores though. Also if a school, like the Portland schools have a higher percentage of ESL students this can affect test scores too. But the bonus children get from experiencing this kind of diversity is immeasurable. The schools my children and nephew attend are public schools. I am very impressed with the dedication of the teachers and the quality of instruction.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 PM

444 posts, read 928,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
Hi-
I have taught on the west coast, in the middle of the country, and on the east coast. Maine schools are great in general and much more focused on actual learning than on teaching to the test. Some states (TEXAS) are so test driven the students are like puppets led to the scantron to bubble in canned answers to repetitive questions. It was a joke-seniors made it to graduation day unable to write a concise sentence or solve an algebraic equation-but they had fantastic bubbling skills. In Maine, the classes are small, and there is still a focus on learning.
You are so right. My son was a kindergarten student at an elementary school in Round Rock, Texas. There were 21 kids in his class. He is now attending first grade at Old Town Elementary, and has 13 kids in his class. His younger brother just started kindergarten, and also has 13 kids in his class. I'm not sure if this is the "norm" for kindergarten and first grade class sizes in Maine, but the kids (and Mom) love it! There doesn't seem to be as much pressure on them to memorize facts. There seems to be a bigger emphasis on discovering the world around them through reading, writing, and math. Learning seems to be more interesting here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine