U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times

Advertisements

This thread made me look a bit harder going into town today. Passed 4 of the portable garages on the way. 3 were ripped to shreds this winter because of the heavy snowfall and high winds. 1 Looked to be in good shape yet, but the owner was out there clearing out around it today and he tends to be a "bit" (read as: WOWSER YOU WOULDN"T BELIEVE HOW) anal about things. He also has a mid 80's Dodge Omni that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,459,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
but the owner was out there clearing out around it today and he tends to be a "bit" (read as: WOWSER YOU WOULDN"T BELIEVE HOW) anal about things. He also has a mid 80's Dodge Omni that looks like it just rolled out of the showroom.
I wonder now if it might be prudent to keep some sort of camp stove going in it to prevent the buildup of snow on it. That won't do anything for a wind storm, but have to wonder how or if a wind storm would even reach me in my forest nest.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:08 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Honestly I think that you might be better off with a two car garage from those good folks in Smyrna.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Honestly I think that you might be better off with a two car garage from those good folks in Smyrna.
Agree with you again! Not as cheap as the portable ones, but built to outlast the original owner.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
True enough.

A stick-built garage is in the plans, the portable is where I intend to harbor a variety of livestock including rabbits, poultry, pigs, goats and quite likely, a pony. I also need a sheltered place to cultivate mushrooms.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:58 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
... the portable is where I intend to harbor a variety of livestock including rabbits, poultry, pigs, goats and quite likely, a pony. I also need a sheltered place to cultivate mushrooms.
Beneath the forest canopy, all of these critters can grow.

Rabbits, poultry, hogs, goats and horses can all prosper within a dense forest setting.

Many folks inoculate logs and prop them against tree trunks. I am trying mushrooms in our basement though.

However ginseng can grow on the forest floor too.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Beneath the forest canopy, all of these critters can grow.

Rabbits, poultry, hogs, goats and horses can all prosper within a dense forest setting.

Many folks inoculate logs and prop them against tree trunks. I am trying mushrooms in our basement though.

However ginseng can grow on the forest floor too.
The portable garage is intended for my comfort - to tend my stock and crops without standing in puddles, in rain, in wind and blizzard. Much of the canopy is gone after autumn.

I once made the mistake of wanting a milk cow. It didn't matter that I didn't have a barn, I just just knew the cow wouldn't mind a little rain. Well, lemme tell ya, milking a cow twice a day in pouring rain leaves a lot to be desired. And when a cow needs to be milked, there is no waiting until the rain passes - she needs to be milked on a fairly regular schedule.

The goats, by the way, I intend to milk. I try not to make the same mistake twice. There will be no goats until I have a shelter for them ... um... for me to milk them. There will be no rabbits until I can process them out of the weather. There will be no poultry until I can collect their eggs while remaining dry and not having to do the Easter egg hunt every day. I do not care to have my portabellas crossbred with toadstool spawn. They will be nurtured in a protected area.

I learned the first lesson the hard way. If "Murphy" comes to visit, he will not catch me unaware - again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine