U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:59 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,458,040 times

Advertisements

I've seen them in just about every Maine community I've ventured through and I've asked about them just about everywhere I go. The people I've spoken with are usually newcomers to their use and have no long-term knowledge of their durability. Others offer no information, but do make a cautious expression. That expression looks like the face of experience but with a reluctance to badmouth a product or admit they made the mistake of getting one.

Can anyone clear this up for me? Can those things really support the weight of snow all year? Although the below link is not necessarily the company I would be doing business with, this is the style I am curious about.
Shelter King House Style 2 Car Instant Garage - 22 X 24 - EliteDeals.com (http://www.elitedeals.com/shkihost2car.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:06 PM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
I do not have one.

Two summers ago, we had a series of wind storms come through that ripped apart many canopys, greenhouses and the like.

A couple of houses from here, is one of those frames, that until recently was covered. But I noticed during the most recent melting, the tarp is now missing. I can not say what brand name it was.

Those do look tempting.

However I can also agree with the feeling of reluctance and worry, wondering if it will last the season? Will it last another year?

Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,810,482 times
A friend told me they put up one of those "portable garages" for storage, (the garage being full) because, they are not a permanent structure, therefore not taxed.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 AM

528 posts, read 2,176,773 times
We've never had one either, but I have seen some ripped apart after storms. I'm sure there are some made better than others, though...

Old 01-16-2008, 12:04 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,424,991 times
I know of one that has been up for several years, with no signs of damage. On the other hand, I *have* one that collapsed under snow load.

Things to look for:

Sturdy poles and struts. Thin walled, small diameter aluminum will collapse easier.

Heavy-duty anchors. I think there is a kind that kind of screws in to the ground, these will not pull out as easily as straight stakes.

Heavy-duty covering. Light polyethylene (like those cheap tarps you find in a lot of places) will deteriorate relatively quickly from the UV in sunlight.

A domed roof will be more resistand to wind but will collect more snow, if there is a lot of snow and you don't clear it off it could collapse (like mine did). Doh!

Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,641,772 times
my brother "HAD" one a cpl years back and one morning he got up looked out side and it was gone. he found it in his field out back the wind took it away.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM

411 posts, read 790,466 times
We had one for 2 years... never had any issues w/snow load, etc. as long as we cleared it off. We had a Shelter King brand, and a Cover-It brand at one point as well, found the Shelter King better built. Not alot more money... and we had the anchors that screwed into the ground. Was a 12X20 foot round style, although hubby really wanted the house style. We bought both used, and the previous owners had never had issues really. It's like anything else, you need to take care with it, or it will ruin. Eventually....

Old 01-16-2008, 08:05 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
If you keep the snow cleared and anchor them down well they can be useful. If you don't get up in the middle of the night during a heavy snow it will be collapsed onto the Tempo in the morning.

In Prentiss some people had a trampoline. It became airborne during a windstorm and flew into the high votage wires and promptly welded itself to the wires. It killed the power to this whole end of Maine. The same could happen to a portable garage. I can just picture it.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,012,848 times
We use homemade portable housing for our sheep. The housing is just smaller versions of portable garages. They work fine with a little maintainance and care. After bigger storms we have found our shelters blown far away from where they started,

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,262,924 times
They are very durable. I had one for 3 years. Snow can pile up to about 18" before you really have to clean it off. Snow removal is a breeze go inside of the shelter and just push up most of the snow will slide right off just be sure to remove what had fallen from the side walls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine