U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM

5,488 posts, read 6,428,655 times

Advertisements

I suppose that all depends on one's point of view. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
I've only been a fireman since September of 1957 and I have never heard of an IFSAC. I didn't get a DM on this the other day and didn't delete any either.

Maybe it's like the NREMT which is a club for EMTs. You join the club, take their test and they put you on their membership list. I used to be an EMT, but never joined the club.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I've only been a fireman since September of 1957 and I have never heard of an IFSAC.
Just a newbie then huh? LOL.

Hats off to you and a load of respect as well NMLM. Tough job, and one I would rather have you guys sitting around NOT earning your keep. When you guys (and Gals now) are called on, that means bad news for somebody 99% of the time.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:42 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
Texas Commission on Fire Protection IFSAC - Frequently Asked Questions (http://www.tcfp.state.tx.us/standards/ifsac_faqs.asp - broken link)

This is the page that talks about the seals. I'm guessing it explains what they're for. DH just gave me the link so you'll know what he's talking about. If you don't know about it, though, I'm guessing it's not a requirement in Maine.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,460,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Does this forum update on a schedule? Sometimes it seems to update instantly. Sometimes it takes a while. Maybe when I post it happens to be just before an update, but sometimes it takes hours to update. Just curious.
It's been pretty patchy with me lately. I post something and then when my brain kicks on, I want to edit it and can't find it. It takes a few minutes sometimes. But then, I'm not on the best of computers, either.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:44 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
The servers occasionally lock up. When I first signed up, my first login appeared to bomb to me. So, I did it again, but with a different screen name. I got a 2 point whatever from a moderator, and I DM'd him and he deleted the bogus account, and reversed the whatever, because now it is gone. I asked him to delete the profile. I think that city-data never anticipated the volume of postings nationwide. I work with computers, and they would have to have a mighty mighty BIG server to handle over 200K users. Granted, probably only 100K actively post, but that is still a whopping big handful of users. They have a lot of the features of the forum software disabled. I suspect it is mainely (hehe) because of the sheer volume of traffic.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,164,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
I think that city-data never anticipated the volume of postings nationwide. I work with computers, and they would have to have a mighty mighty BIG server to handle over 200K users. Granted, probably only 100K actively post, but that is still a whopping big handful of users. They have a lot of the features of the forum software disabled. I suspect it is mainely (hehe) because of the sheer volume of traffic.
Good point.

Wonder where their server is located.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Good question. From what I can determine, SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. is the server that does Welcome to city-state.com (http://www.city-state.com - broken link). They appear to be located in Seattle, Washington. That would explain a slowdown about 9pm here in the east. All those Californians getting home and getting online about 6pm, and about noon eastern time when all those Californians login at work in the morning. Time zones shift on the net. More people in a time zone will slow others down in different time zones.. It's sort of like 5pm work traffic clogging the streets. Hey, does that happen in Maine? I hope not!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
That happens on Friday nights during the summer at the Kittery toll botth.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:23 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
It's sort of like 5pm work traffic clogging the streets. Hey, does that happen in Maine? I hope not!
In Washburn I have to wait longer to get on the main road at 5 AM than I do at 5 PM. Sometimes there are 3 or even 4 vehicles at the same time downtown in the mornings. Traffic is rough, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine