U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times

Advertisements

I have to go out to a meeting and want to get this in for GC shuts us down. El, there are farms all over Maine that raise meat naturally and humanely. You won't have a problem finding meat here.

I don't think the gov't is going to give up a project it has put over a decade of money and time into. They'll figure it out. If the horse people can (I'm unfamiliar with that group) the gov't will be ale to muddle through eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM

528 posts, read 2,177,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
While there have been some problems with cow cloning, the horse people seem to have it worked out fairly well. .
how has it been worked out? There have only been a few dozen horses cloned that I'm aware of (a handful of top performance horses outside of the ones produced for scientific studies), and many of the registeries have not even considered the subject since there has been no reason to do so. It's still extremely expensive to clone a horse.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 AM

454 posts, read 780,445 times
My Brand-ex used to work evenings in a rather large butcher shop in NY while he was training to be a chef, many moons ago. He used to come home and tell me about some of the practices, and ways the owners used to cut corners and try to save money....as well as some of the atrocities that happened at processing plants.
I will spare the details...but I can tell you that I still don't eat red meat (whether it be cloned or not), and when I buy meat for the DHTB, it is ONLY locally grown and processed, and I usually grind it at home...at least I can control what goes into the meat.
And MW is right...buying any meats (and dairy and produce and....) locally will be easy for you here in Maine.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Scamper, champion barrel racer cloned:

World Champion Barrel Race Horse Cloned

$150k, four failed attempts.

Cloning is too prohibitively expensive, even if perfect animals are produced, to be considered as a feasible supply source for the mass meat market.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:11 AM

455 posts, read 1,087,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have to go out to a meeting and want to get this in for GC shuts us down. El, there are farms all over Maine that raise meat naturally and humanely. You won't have a problem finding meat here.

I don't think the gov't is going to give up a project it has put over a decade of money and time into. They'll figure it out. If the horse people can (I'm unfamiliar with that group) the gov't will be ale to muddle through eventually.
You go girl!!!!! I want to get back to raising and hunting for our own food....I definatly stay away from those grocery stores. (scary). I may not be politically correct on the issues..but back to nature and old fashion living is what I want. Maine here I come (only 68 days to go).

Old 01-17-2008, 10:13 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
how has it been worked out? There have only been a few dozen horses cloned that I'm aware of (a handful of top performance horses outside of the ones produced for scientific studies), and many of the registeries have not even considered the subject since there has been no reason to do so. It's still extremely expensive to clone a horse.
It's extremely expensive to clone any mammal, which is my point. Sure, you can find some people who will pay the price to clone an animal that is going to be kept alive, but cloning for slaughter...no point, the market wouldn't support it.

I don't think we need to worry about cloned beef in the supermarkets any time in the next few forseeable futures. Improperly maintained abbatoirs, mad cow disease, and other problems would be much more pressing concerns.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM

52 posts, read 146,070 times
Another trick to make meat look fresher is to package the meat in carbon monoxide, this make the meat retain a much redder color than it otherwise would.

I wouldn't be worried about saftey concerns from coloned meat, it won't be any different than the original animal that was cloned. What I would be concerned about is if cloning really takes off then you seriously open herds to being wiped out by disease. On of the more important aspects of our immune system (and other higher animals) is the MHC typing (this is what has to be matched for most organ transplants, etc). There are many different MHC subtypes in humans and different subtypes do a better job of recognizing different foreign antigens to fight off diease (i.e. one is better at recognizing and fighting against pneumonia than influenza, but a different type is better at recognizing influenza than pneumonia, etc). Maintaining this variety helps protect the species against being completely wiped out in a pandemic.

If large numbers of livestock are cloned they will all have the same genetic susceptibilities to diease, and this could seriously put the meat supply at risk from a pandemic. So much for the biological advantages of sexual reproduction.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 AM

175 posts, read 373,226 times
I personally don't know about all this cloning business. Sounds a little to "SCI-FI" to me. I guess this just makes us one step closer to becoming a "Stepford Wife" or husband, or child, etc.... Should just leave well enough alone..

Old 01-17-2008, 01:28 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
If you are concerned about your food, then go to the Farmer's Market. "Come and see"

The farmers at the Orono FM, list their addresses on the website, and all welcome farm visits by customers. "Come and see"

Want to see how the beef is raised? Come and visit.

Want to see my chickens? Want to review their feed? Come and see.

The 'Certified Organic' process has become very political and expensive. Many of our farmers are dropping it entirely, as the list of approved chemicals grows each year.

Many farmers have taken on the attitude of: "We are natural, Come and see".

We fully intended to become 'certified organic' but now after we started the process and have learned more about the process.

We have decided to follow the example of others and to say:

"We try to be as natural as practical, come and see".

Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM

528 posts, read 2,177,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Scamper, champion barrel racer cloned:

World Champion Barrel Race Horse Cloned

$150k, four failed attempts.

Cloning is too prohibitively expensive, even if perfect animals are produced, to be considered as a feasible supply source for the mass meat market.
yes, I'm well aware of the attempts to clone Scamper (and they did produce a colt eventually), but your post said the horse people had worked it out fairly well - that seemed to imply it was routinely being done. That is not the case, obviously (at those prices! ). I agree with you that the process is far too expensive at this point to be supplying the meat market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine