U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 PM

11,170 posts, read 11,287,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toria View Post
I may be forgetting, but I don't recall a grocery store in downtown Damariscotta?
yellowfront grocerystore use to be on mainstreet but needed to expand, moved up the road a piece, still within walking distance (damariscotta)

a few towns that comes to mind;

brunswick, searsport, southwest harbor, thomaston, hallowell, richmond,
bath, boothbay harbor
blue hill
northeast harbor
belfast
camden
rockland

id suggest driving up rte one (coastal rte) all the way up the coast to eastport and get a firsthand look at many mainstreet towns, see which one fits you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 10:15 PM

263 posts, read 418,593 times
Default Belfast

More pictures of downtown Belfast.

Last edited by arzachena; 03-09-2008 at 09:00 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM

1,961 posts, read 3,052,076 times
Belfast- what a great city!!!
Thanks for sharing those summer photos with us

Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 AM

527 posts, read 1,571,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
yellowfront grocerystore use to be on mainstreet but needed to expand, moved up the road a piece, still within walking distance (damariscotta)
I know where Yellowfront is - it's almost a half mile from downtown Damariscotta, on a very busy road (edit to say that I can't remember if sidewalks are there or not - but still not what I'd call real walk-able, especially in not so good weather).

agree, the Belfast pictures are lovely....

Last edited by Toria; 01-18-2008 at 06:45 AM..

Old 01-18-2008, 07:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,758,074 times
If you are looking in the Portland area, Yarmouth might fit.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:20 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,434,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
You're right. Some people can't think outside the box and apparently I can't think outside the car. My bad.
You can walk to Rising Tide quite easily though.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:27 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,434,624 times
Boothbay Harbor is my hometown. There is a small grocery/convenience store right in the town, not a difficult walk to Hannaford's, which is the large store in town. Lots of neat places in town to get a coffee, but the "funkier" coffee bars are only open in the summer. Mama D's on the other side of the harbor is a great place for coffee/sweets and lunches. A nice library in town. Sherman's is the local bookstore, they are good at ordering anything you want if they don't have it. A great asset is the old Opera House which has now been renovated (taken over by the town folk) and hosts concerts or all sorts, local talent, open mic nights, coffee and conversation lecture series and so forth.

The biggest drawback is employment (which is why we sold our home last summer and moved to VA) but if you are working from home that is ideal, and the fact that there is NO public transportation at all. To get to the bus (which can take you to the Portland or Boston airports if you need to get somewhere) you need to get off the peninsula and into Wiscasset, which takes about a 20 minute drive...so you can't walk it!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,836,167 times
The IGA in Eastport is about 1 block from our house. It's walkable from anywhere in the city and most people have those 2 wheel wire carts that they use to carry their groceries, packages, most anything. There is also a General Store of sorts across from the Post Office, a tea room, a pizza place, several restaurants, a book store, museums, shops, library, hot dog stand, live entertainment at The Rose Garden in the evenings, most places serve cocktails, beer and wine if they serve food. All of this between 3 and 5 walkable blocks from each other. In the summer, there's even more stuff open and walkable to, get one of those 2 wheel grocery carts.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:25 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,836,167 times
Also, 2 banks, a convenience store, fully stocked hardware store, two beauty parlors, Post Office, City Government Building, 2 schools, mustard factory, ball field, Farmer's Market (Spring, Summer, Fall), several antique shops. You can walk to pay your water bill, your oil bill, your sewer bill, your tax bill and save on stamps. There is mail delivery as well as PO boxes. Most people in Eastport tend to walk everywhere or to ride those battery powered little two wheeled scooters. Even the old people like me ride them. Mine is purple and is called a "Mod Betty", has a basket on the front for my purchases and there's no city restrictions on riding them on city streets.

Here's my scooter - Razor Pocket Mod Betty | Electric Pocket Mod Betty

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM

7 posts, read 11,308 times
Hi again, and thanks to all for the continuing info and suggestions!

I'm loving the look of Belfast, and will almost certainly work it into my itinerary when the Maine portion of my location scouting comes around.

I'm looking into Boothbay Harbor now, but early observations seem to indicate that rents there average about $200 more across the board than in Belfast. Not that I'm really all that restricted by rent cost or anything, but why settle for more, when you can settle for less? FWIW, "coastal," while fine and dandy, is by no means a must for me. I'm just as happy gazing zenlike into the trees as I am gazing into the ocean.

Can anybody suggest a place to get some prices on Eastport rentals? I took a look at the online edition of "The Quoddy Tides," but the classifieds link appears to connect to nothing...

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine