U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to Maine to be near his family once my son leaves for college. We live in Thousand Oaks, California. He's from Ma, dad in Middleboro - mom in Penobscot, Maine. We want to be somewhere in the middle. I've been researching southern Maine and am zooming in to Portland, and/or Brunswick/Kennebunkport/small town near Portland. We either want to buy a condo/small house in Portland or a small house with land in a town nearby. I'm a teacher. He's an MIS Manager for Baxter Pharmaceuticals. Here are my worries/questions?
Am I going to be able to make longlasting friendships with Mainers when I am a native Californian (I will be friendly, dress warmly, help in the community, try not to be pretentious). Also, any recommendations on living in Portland versus outside? We prefer walking or public transportation to driving in snow. This is getting too long so I'll stop but I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:52 AM

1,818 posts, read 4,282,105 times
Welcome to the forum, mangojean. People are people, I've lived in Maine for (gulp) nearly 30 years and have found no place friendlier. You will fit in perfectly, there are plenty of people "from away" that are coming into Maine for the quality of life that it offers. Public transportation is not a strong point of the Greater Portland area, unfortunately. As a teacher, however, you will probably not have schools on particularly hazardous days. Is your husband going to be working at home or does Baxter have an office in Portland?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:22 AM

9,535 posts, read 14,362,016 times
There are going to be some real bargains in housing near Brunswick because the Navy is closing their base in Brunswick. It's a good time to buy. There are several colleges close by and though rural, the folks there are very well educated. You'll fit in especially well because military families have come and gone for many years. The region is used to new neighbors.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of good, useful information on this site. There are native Californians who have moved to Maine and do just fine. I think the whole key to 'fitting in' is attitude. If you don't try to change things or think you're somehow better than the locals, you'll have a rough time but if you just accept and become a part of any town you choose to live in, you'll do just fine.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:43 AM

1,818 posts, read 4,282,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Welcome to the forum - you'll find lots of good, useful information on this site. There are native Californians who have moved to Maine and do just fine. I think the whole key to 'fitting in' is attitude. If you don't try to change things or think you're somehow better than the locals, you'll have a rough time but if you just accept and become a part of any town you choose to live in, you'll do just fine.
I don't think that's unique to Maine!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,838,331 times
Welcome to the forum!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:44 AM

38 posts, read 131,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojean View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to Maine to be near his family once my son leaves for college. We live in Thousand Oaks, California. He's from Ma, dad in Middleboro - mom in Penobscot, Maine. We want to be somewhere in the middle. I've been researching southern Maine and am zooming in to Portland, and/or Brunswick/Kennebunkport/small town near Portland. We either want to buy a condo/small house in Portland or a small house with land in a town nearby. I'm a teacher. He's an MIS Manager for Baxter Pharmaceuticals. Here are my worries/questions?
Am I going to be able to make longlasting friendships with Mainers when I am a native Californian (I will be friendly, dress warmly, help in the community, try not to be pretentious). Also, any recommendations on living in Portland versus outside? We prefer walking or public transportation to driving in snow. This is getting too long so I'll stop but I'd appreciate any responses. Thanks.
Hi, my wife and I are also moving to Maine in a year or so. We live in Los Angles in The Valley..... just a few minutes away from you. We will be moving to the Portland area for a job transfer. Looking mostly in the Falmouth/Falmouth Foreside/Cape Elizabeth area. From what I've heard and seen of the Portland area, it looks like a very charming, safe, nice place to live and raise children if you have them.

I hear the public transportation isn't too good from some of the forum posts, but it isnt good here in Los Angeles either So i would just look for a home that is relative close to work if at all possible. Especially when the snows come, I hear its not a bad thing to try to live near your work.

My wife and I both grew up in the North East, and while we have been out here in California for 15 years, we both feel that meeting people, and making new friends is the same wherever you go for the most part. From your Post, it sounds like you have the right attitude for meeting people. Making friends will happen anywhere you go if you give people the vibe that your a nice, non-judgemental, easy going person, which you appear to be from your post. Also from what my wife tells me and from what I read on the forum here, Mariners appear to be fairly friendly people in general Feel free to stay in touch if you like...Good luck!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 6,772 times
My whole family moved to Brunswick, ME from Newbury Park (for those who don't know, a section of Thousand Oaks), CA and fitting in, adjusting wasn't a problem - they are absolutely right about the region being used to the military newcomers. And about getting a bargain - if you are looking to buy and stay a while, Brunswick/Topsham/Bath is a good place to be. However, you are going to have to learn to drive in some snow, because public transportation isn't really well-done in Maine yet. I would say outside of Portland, it's practically non-existent ...

Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for your replies everybody! Wow! This is so great (my first time going on-line with people I don't know - pretty exciting). What a small world. I'm glad to hear that there are others from my area. I love what I've seen so far of the Portland area. The idea of buying an old condo/house maybe in the West End really appeals to me. Are there any other teachers out there? I teach 4th grade.
I've driven in the snow. Drove across country in my little VW to Connecticut in some horrific snow. I lived in Connecticut for 6 years but think I'll like Maine much more.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are going to be some real bargains in housing near Brunswick because the Navy is closing their base in Brunswick. It's a good time to buy. There are several colleges close by and though rural, the folks there are very well educated. You'll fit in especially well because military families have come and gone for many years. The region is used to new neighbors.
Good to know. Thanks.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine