Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 02:30 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times

Advertisements

Here's to a shining light for Miss Molly and prayers for healing.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 AM

612 posts, read 1,216,333 times
Default "Life is a Dance"

It was a busy morning,about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80's, arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had
an appointment at 9:00 am. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat, knowing it would be over an hour before someone would to able to see him.
I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy with another patient, I would evaluate his wound. On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one
of the doctors, got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor's appointment
this morning, as he was in such a hurry. The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his wife. I inquired as to her health.
He told me that she had been there for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer's Disease. As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late.
He replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not recognized him in five years now. I was surprised, and asked him, "And you still go every morning,
even though she doesn't know who you are? "He smiled as he patted my hand and said, "She doesn't know me, but I still know who she is. "I had to hold back tears
as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm, and thought, "That is the kind of love I want in my life."True love is neither physical, nor romantic. True love is an acceptance
of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be.The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.
"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

Last edited by Eastport4me; 02-02-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Font

Old 02-02-2008, 11:47 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
excellant!! thank you

Old 02-02-2008, 12:26 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times
Default A good marriage is !!!!!!

Well MeNMe, folks often claim that a post brings them to tears. Doesn't happen often to me, but--Wow, that one touched me. She must have been a wonderful wife, and I bet he was a great husband--still is. I hope that they had many decades of happiness together. Sorry, I can't give you any more reps right now.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Default Kids are so creative!

Olivia, my 6 y.o., just came in to ask me when we can go to the beach. I told her Maybe in March or April. She then said, "I guess we can't go to the beach anymore when we move to Maine, because there will be snow covering the sand."

She paused a few seconds, then blurted out, "I know! We can make SNOW castles!!"

Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM

612 posts, read 1,216,333 times
A carrot, an egg, and a cup of coffee...You will never look at a cup of coffee the same way again.

A young woman went to her mother and told her about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not know how she was going to make it and wanted to give up She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved, a new one arose.

Her mother took her to the kitchen. She filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to boil In the first she placed carrots, in the second she placed eggs, and in the last she placed ground coffee beans. She let them sit and boil; without saying a word.

In about twenty minutes she turned off the burners. She fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. She pulled the eggs out and placed them in a bowl. Then she ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl. Turning to her daughter, she asked, 'Tell me what you see.'

'Carrots, eggs, and coffee,' she replied.

Her mother brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. The mother then asked the daughter to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard boiled egg.

Finally, the mother asked the daughter to sip the coffee. The daughter smiled as she tasted its rich aroma The daughter then asked, 'What does it mean, mother?'

Her mother explained that each of these objects had faced the same adversity: boiling water. Each reacted differently. The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. However, after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak. The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior, but after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened. The ground coffee beans were unique, however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.

'Which are you?' she asked her daughter. 'When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

Think of this: Which am I? Am I the carrot that seems strong, but with pain and adversity do I wilt and become soft and lose my strength.

Am I the egg that starts with a malleable heart, but changes with the heat? Did I have a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a financial hard ship or some other trial, have I become hardened and stiff? Does my shell look the same, but on the inside am I bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and hardened heart?

Or am I like the coffee bean? The bean actually changes the hot water, the very circumstance that brings the pain. When the water gets hot, it releases the fragrance and flavor. If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and change the situation around you. When the hour is t he darkest and trials are their greatest, do you elevate yourself to another level? How do you handle adversity? Are you a carrot, an egg or a coffee bean?

May you have enough happiness to make you sweet, enough trials to make you strong, enough sorrow to keep you human and enough hope to make you happy.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the most of everything that comes along their way. The brightest future will always be based on a forgotten past; you can't go forward in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling.

Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.

May we all be COFFEE!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Eastport4me; 02-02-2008 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 02-03-2008, 04:38 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Meinme, repped you on the first, but I have to spread it around before I can rep you on the 2nd.. beautiful stuff!

Old 02-03-2008, 08:31 AM

Just to take FULL advantage of this "off topic" thread, can you believe that it's going to be 79 degrees here tomorrow? In February?? We're mid-upper 70s all week, it appears. Disgusting!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:36 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,851 times
I don't want to hear about it....We have barricaded the house against the warm weather here in Florida. The house is a comfy 68, but it is 74 outside, and too hot for the Super
Bowl, even on TV. Don't have the A/C on, but it's a thought. The high was supposed to be 70, but oops they blew it...high tomorrow is going to be 74 so that means about 80+. The poor Maple tree has budded out, and we will get frost, and it will look like my hair, thin all summer. Same thing happened last year.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 PM

Yep! Sucks hot air!! I've already had the a/c on this afternoon, but I do think I'm going to turn it off now. My toes are getting chilly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine