U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 09:37 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times

Advertisements

Just remember this, Mr. Potter: that this rabble you're talking about, they do most of the working and paying and living and dying in this community. Well, is it too much to have them work and pay and live and die in a couple of decent rooms and a bath?
IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,495,927 times
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. / APOCALYPSE NOW / 1979

Old 04-05-2008, 12:12 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Just got back from the Presque Isle Sportsman show. The oldest son Nick is all excited. There were a few raffles for rifles and shotguns throughout the show and as long as he is old enough to hunt legally, he can enter the raffles for the weapons. There has to be an adult to sign the papers for him to legally get it, but his eyes lit right up and awestruck he asked if he could buy a ticket. So, remembering how it felt the first time I was old enough to do the same thing, I floated a 20 his way and he entered every raffle he laid his eyes on. What he doesn't know, is that he is going to end up with a shotgun this summer no matter what.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Just got back from the Presque Isle Sportsman show. The oldest son Nick is all excited. There were a few raffles for rifles and shotguns throughout the show and as long as he is old enough to hunt legally, he can enter the raffles for the weapons. There has to be an adult to sign the papers for him to legally get it, but his eyes lit right up and awestruck he asked if he could buy a ticket. So, remembering how it felt the first time I was old enough to do the same thing, I floated a 20 his way and he entered every raffle he laid his eyes on. What he doesn't know, is that he is going to end up with a shotgun this summer no matter what.
You are doing your son a big favor by getting him involved with the safe use of firearms at an early age...you are to be commended!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You are doing your son a big favor by getting him involved with the safe use of firearms at an early age...you are to be commended!

He has been shooting and learning on a bb gun from about 5 or 6 years old. He got his first 22 this Christmas at 9 (Turned 10 in Jan) and does VERY well with it. Momma, had her doubts for sure being raised in Mass and never around guns of any type. Bless her heart, she knows my brothers and I all grew up shooting and being safe from an early age so she agreed that our boys should be raised knowing about firearms as well from an early age. Each of the Ruffians are different and will be on their own timeline as to when things are introduced and when they make the step to the next level.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
He has been shooting and learning on a bb gun from about 5 or 6 years old. He got his first 22 this Christmas at 9 (Turned 10 in Jan) and does VERY well with it. Momma, had her doubts for sure being raised in Mass and never around guns of any type. Bless her heart, she knows my brothers and I all grew up shooting and being safe from an early age so she agreed that our boys should be raised knowing about firearms as well from an early age. Each of the Ruffians are different and will be on their own timeline as to when things are introduced and when they make the step to the next level.
I taught my daughter at around 12 how to shoot the .22. I got my son a bb gun at around 10 and he shot the .22 at 12. Neither of them as well as my stepson have showed any interest in hunting, though sometimes they will tag along with me. They're not against it at all it's just they have other interests. When my son was 15 I gave him my step Father's 30/30 Winchester as he had requested I do before he passed on. My son will probably never use it but it's his to do as he wishes. He and a bunch of his friends got in to paint ball for a few years. They had a great time doing that. They had the woods set up with targets, and hiding places. I had a CO2 bulk tank I filled all of their small tanks with. At one time we would have a dozen kids running around the woods shooting those stupid balls at each other. I didn't care for it at first as I had been brought up to never aim a gun at anyone no matter what kind it was. After a while I mellowed out as I saw the safety equipment they used and I was always there to remind them they none of the paintball practices applied to real life guns except the safe handling proceedures. They had fun but when they reached driving age that was it for the paintball.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:53 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
Hearing in progress........

Answer......You want answers?

Question....I think I'm entitled to them.

Answer......You want answers?

Question....I want the truth!

Answer......You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world..............

"A Few Good Men" with Tom Cruise and Jack Nicholson...1992.

Here is a parody of this scene that is funny, I think.......

We join the congressional interrogation in progress...

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I think I'm entitled to them.

Clemens: You want answers?

Congressman: I want the truth!

Clemens: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has baseballs. And those balls have to be hit by men with bats. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Congressman Waxman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for steroids and you curse HGH. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that HGH, while illegal, probably sells tickets. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, sells tickets...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that mound. You need me on that mound. We use words like fastall, slider, splitfinger...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent playing a sport. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and falls asleep to the Sportscenter clips I provide,! then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a bat and dig in. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Congressman: Did you order the HGH?

Clemens: (quietly) I did the job you sent me to do.

Congressman: Did you order the HGH?

Clemens: You're ---damn right I did!!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
They had fun but when they reached driving age that was it for the paintball.

You mean when they reached girl's alone in a car, age.

Even if it were an old clunker, you were behind the wheel and it was a beautiful thing as I remember it.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Even if it were an old clunker, you were behind the wheel and it was a beautiful thing as I remember it.
The girl or the car?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
The girl or the car?
How much trouble do you think I would get in if I said both ?

Maybe, take your pick... Nope that doesn't sound any better.

I know , The Car of course! I'm appalled you would question my uprightness and Political Correctness. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine