U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2008, 08:16 AM

444 posts, read 808,136 times

Advertisements

I actually think it's allergies that I have, but they are affecting me stronger than they ever have previously in my life. What I think I need is a cortisone shot. Thank god it's not that virus that you are talking about, Mollysmiles. Was it a stomach virus?

Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
yes...ick! We were fine at my house, but two little ones (22 mos and 28 mos) were hospitalized for a couple of days because they'd become dehydrated Awful stuff! I'm having trouble with allergies this year too, and I don't normally at all....my saving grace has been the dayquil sinus, maybe that would help! Hang in there!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:28 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
I actually think it's allergies that I have, but they are affecting me stronger than they ever have previously in my life. What I think I need is a cortisone shot. Thank god it's not that virus that you are talking about, Mollysmiles. Was it a stomach virus?
Allergies:
Have you tried any of the homeopathic treatments for your allergies?

Old 05-18-2008, 03:11 PM

Forest, I'll have to do a search on homeopathic remedies

and, since this is the "off-topic" thread:
Being a Navy man...do you know anything about Pensacola? I'm having second thoughts about moving there. My husband has a good friend that has lived there since the beginning of time, and we did like it when we were on vacation...but a lot of people I've talked to have had very negative things to say about the city.

I am sooooo confused and sad because I feel like we can't find a home. I loved Texas, but my husband absolutely does not want to go back to Texas.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:00 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
Forest, I'll have to do a search on homeopathic remedies

and, since this is the "off-topic" thread:
Being a Navy man...do you know anything about Pensacola? I'm having second thoughts about moving there. My husband has a good friend that has lived there since the beginning of time, and we did like it when we were on vacation...but a lot of people I've talked to have had very negative things to say about the city.

I am sooooo confused and sad because I feel like we can't find a home. I loved Texas, but my husband absolutely does not want to go back to Texas.
I am at a loss.

I have never been to Pensacola Florida.

The Submarine Fleet has it's own bases, separate from the surface fleet. For the most part we are not encouraged to rub elbows with target sailors, so while I am familiar with most subases, I know very little about surface bases.

Subases tend to be fairly tiny. Surface bases appear to be huge and mostly warehouses.

Most of my dealing with the surface fleet has been while we are at sea, whenever we hear and begin tracking a surface target, we immediately assign a torpedo to it and to begin resolving a solution of how to go about introducing itself to that target. So long as that target remains within tracking distance, we keep an active solution for it, so if we need to we can send a torpedo out to be introduced.

I have been to Port Canaveral a number of times, each time after we launched missiles to put satellites into orbit we pulled in there for a week to review the telemetry of our missiles and their satellites.

Port Canaveral is nice

Old 05-19-2008, 06:34 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
I had some friends who lived in the Pensacola area and really liked it for years. They moved to a little town named Jay for a while and really liked that much better. If I recall correctly, Jay is north about 40 miles and right on the Fla/Alabama border.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Thanks guys

I feel kind of silly asking about Pensacola, Florida in the Maine forums, but I had the feeling I would get some useful feedback here. I posted a question awhile back on the Florida forum, but didn't get a lot of answers.

(sorry 7th and CG)

Old 05-19-2008, 08:29 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,508,869 times
ok.....here's one for mixed emotions.....

My oldest daughter, well, *oldest* actually!, is graduating from high school on June 8. She has been an average student, and since mid-winter the plan has been to go to either University of Maine at Machias, or the community college, for her first year out of high school. This way she could take her time, see if she liked college, and live at home. She's got an amazing eye when it comes to photography, but hasn't been exactly sure which direction to take that. She just really hadn't found her passion. This year she took Culinary Arts just to sort of fill her senior year schedule, and has LOVED it. She just really seems to have a passion and a talent for it.....so, on a whim, she applied to Johnson & Wales. In a matter of minutes I've gone from completely expecting her to be home another year to planning a trip to Rhode Island to visit the campus and making lists for scholarship opps (very late ones!!).......She got her acceptance letter last week, and this is the first time I've even really been able to think about it at length without getting teary! I think I would have been fine if I hadn't adjusted to the idea of her being home another year....she was even supposed to help out with the Varsity Cheering Squad and the community theater wants her too! There is a chance she won't be able to go....we absolutely can't pull off the tuition and other costs without financial aid and scholarships (can you say $30K/year??), so she may defer her acceptance a year, BUT we also have discovered some resources for help with that....

I know this had to come sooner or later. And I am very, very happy and proud. Like I said though, I really did think she'd be here another year, and I'd definitely gotten to the point of being happy about it. I'm just trying to reconcile it all! Thanks for letting me vent......

Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,811,809 times
Johnson and Wales is an excellant school, you must be extremely proud! I hope the financing works out well for her. R.I. isn't that far, she can grab a train to south station in Boston and get a bus right into Bangor relatively cheaply. I can only imagine how emotional it must be for you but if this works out for her it could be a wonderful experience. All my best wishes for you both.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,132,103 times
WOW! Congratulations to both of you!! I'm so proud of her! She must have been bouncing off the walls when she read her letter. It's an adjustment but you do get used to not having them in the house. I learned a lot about Minnesota in the two years Kristin lived there and I visited. The bigger adjustment comes with (here's a tissue) the changes you'll see in her when she comes home to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine