U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,519 posts, read 4,929,945 times

Advertisements

HELLO ELCARIM!

THANK YOU for posting this! That was very nice of you!

My heartfelt sympathy & condolences Ms. MOLLY!

Sorry that you are going through this.

I hope that you will be back soon!

Best of wishes,

PEACE,

Countrylv22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Hey folks! I have a message from the fabulous Mrs. M! She's had a death in the family and will be taking a break for a few days.

I know we all love her and wish her healing!

Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,013,473 times

Quote:
the Navy refuses to allow vitamin supplements
Huh? any idea as to their reasoning for this one?

Quote:
We do shorten our days down to eighteen hours though. After long testing researchers found that an eighteen hour day is far more natural to humans than a twenty-four hour day is.
Very interesting. Did it take you long to to re-acclimate to a 24 hour schedule when you surfaced again?

Old 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
The further north you go, the more SAD becomes an issue. In Alaska, and northern Canada, they may only get a few hours of sun a day, and it is a real issue. In the extreme far north, no sunlight at all for several months. The Alaskans have lamps they use to help offset SAD. It is just the reverse in the summer, they have almost 24 hours of daylight, and have to put shades on the windows.

I think you are right, that people who drive in darkness and work indoors are much more likely to have SAD.

People who are outdoors a lot, even in the winter do not seem to be as affected by SAD.

Those of us in Florida who hate the heat get a form of this too. We want to be outside, but the temperature/humidity is oppressive. We are forced to stay indoors 4-6 months of the year, and it makes us extremely irritable. Especially if you are an outdoor type.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 10,931,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Those of us in Florida who hate the heat get a form of this too. We want to be outside, but the temperature/humidity is oppressive. We are forced to stay indoors 4-6 months of the year, and it makes us extremely irritable. Especially if you are an outdoor type.
Yep! I understand. Here, we're stuck indoors about 9 months out of the year either due to heat or rain. When I say you can cut the air with a knife, I'm not kidding! There are times when I open my front door and that heat hits me in the face and it takes my breath away. It's really awful!

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,184,885 times
I am still wondering about why the crew on board a submarine don't seem to be effected by it????????????????????????????

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Default Submariners can be affected by SAD - ??

Seeing the Light of Day

That link is to an article where they are working with submariners who cannot remain alert......

Who knows!

Old 01-26-2008, 07:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Do submarine crews sleep more hours in 24 hours during an 18 hour schedule than they do on land? I know I go through SAD. I have for at least 15 years. There's nothing better than turning the bed on high, letting it warm up then climbing in for a nap - at noon. When we moved out here and got livestock and poultry I had to go outside at least twice a day in winter. The more time I spend outside the better I feel. It's kind of like falling into a trap. When I'm outside in the sun I feel better. Then it's cloudy for a week and I slow down. Then the sun comes out but I don't have any energy to go out even though I know I'd feel better. I feed and water the poultry and come back in. I didn't connect the headache to SAD until maine.4.us said it. I do get worse headaches in winter, usually January and February. I'm getting piglets in the spring.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:10 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,915,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've heard of SAD but have no idea what the symptoms are. Can you describe it for us?

I'm SAD all the time in the Texas sun and heat that keeps me from being able to venture outdoors most of the year!
Traditional Seasonal Affective Disorder is a cyclic depression that hits every winter. Not everyone is affected... often it seems to me to be more prevalent in folks raised in a southern climate (or with a Mediterranean heritage) when the live in a northern or mostly winter-cloudy climate than northern born and northern bred ... but that is not a scientific study, just my experience.

I have had a similar experience come mid-summer since I have been in the south.. TX.. NC... I think even when I was a kid in SoCal but I can't remember that well back that far (dark ages, you know...) it seems like the rising sun, which is no brighter coming in the kitchen window at sunrise in August than it is in February, just HURTS when it shines on me... and I get mega-depressed... I took drugs for a couple of cycles (well, I was depressed year round then) but for the last few years have started taking St. Johns wart about mid-May through the end of Sept and it helped.

I have recently been finding references to summer SAD in the literature, and the are not meaning the regular condition, only "down under" so we are not the only ones.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Summer SAD

From what I gather, it is real, and it affects about 1% of the population. This is an interesting link, and has a lot of information...like it affects women more than men, and there seems to be a connections between Summer SAD and mental issues with relatives....gee, that fits me, except I am not a woman.

Seasonal Depression Can Accompany Summer Sun - New York Times

Some Summer SAD experiences

The last link has some great reading in it.

Last edited by maine4.us; 01-26-2008 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: left out link

Old 01-26-2008, 08:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,541,357 times
I've never heard of Summer SAD! Very interesting article. Peronally, I love the heat and the humidity here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine