U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM

9,521 posts, read 14,313,796 times

Advertisements

MaineWriter said:
"This (http://bangornews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=159958&zoneid=500 - broken link) is a rough account of the story, minus some important details. We know how the media works."

Bless you for leaving out those important details. They are a burden to those who know. It is best not to burden others. Enough said about that.

What you did today served to lighten the load of family and friends. I don't know how many times I heard the statement, "Vinal can take care of that." He certainly could.

Salmon and peas by the fourth.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 PM

323 posts, read 860,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
The priest said something like that. We're sad that he's no longer living but we need to celebrate that he was here with us for so long. At the end of the service there was a time for anyone to come forward and share stories. One man told one that had us all laughing. The thought behind this was to end on a happy note before we moved to the reception.

A short version of my story is that he and I raced each spring to see who got the peas planted first, whose broke ground first, how tall they were each week, whose blossomed and put on pods first, and ultimately, who had peas ready to pick first. We both intentionally chose varieties with the fewest days to maturity as possible. I fell into this when he told Steve he was planting peas the coming weekend and Steve said I'd already planted mine. He made a smart aleck comment a couple of people will choose to be offended by so I won't bother repeating it, and the race was on. He didn't know I'd planted mine in a hoop house in March that first year. Steve only said that I'd already planted mine, not when or where. Sometimes I won, sometimes he won, we always had fun. He had this race with a gentleman who passed away a few years ago too. When he was a week behind he went to the grocery, bought peas and took them to this man and declared himself the winner. I don't think the man ever knew though our friend took great joy in telling everyone what he'd done with a funny smile. At the end of the service Steve tucked a pack of seed peas in our friend's hand.

That is an amazing story and I am sorry for your loss. You are so brave to stand up and talk about your friend at his funeral I am sure he is smiling from above.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,124,302 times
And most people say in today's world we are not spiritual, HOGWASH, BALONEY, MALARKEY.....all you have to do is listen to your heart, and you know. I am getting tired of all those people who just do not believe, in people, or in anything. Makes me want to just slap them around a few times. It you can dream it, it is real. If you doubt it, you thought too much. Just enjoy it!!! and believe that is is for you! The families, and anyone who might have know them .

Last edited by maine4.us; 02-11-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: too many r;s....

Old 02-12-2008, 06:29 AM

3,231 posts, read 6,545,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Thank you again. I got through it with a very shaky voice because I started to cry on the way to the podium. I made people laugh and a few people cry (including my husband) and a lot of people stop me to ask, "Who are you?" Everyone else asked to speak are family members and that left people wondering how I was related. I'm not related, just someone who wrote something about a man who sincerely cared about everyone, that was some how found read by his family. There were at least 350 people there today and a lot who went to visiting hours yesterday. He really was a great man. Being able to do this was an honor. And life goes on.
I'm sure you did a wonderful job. The ability to make a few people laugh always seems to lighten up a service. I'm sure he'd be honored as well that you were able to put some wonderful thoughts together to honor his life.
Wishing you a peaceful day today.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,517,896 times
Does it strike any of the rest of you that those of us who maintain positive attitudes and lead our lives happily are amazingly annoying to those people who don't live that way?? lol....

We get our share of complainers on this forum, and boy, don't they seem to just get wound up with those of us who live here happily, or who want to live here, OR who actually know how to find a job here (especially in WashCo ).......

Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 PM

5,971 posts, read 11,143,258 times
We're annoying and they've become very amusing. Did you see Lettuce Tell The Truth? She/he/it joined today just to crab about Caribou. Cracked me up! The humor didn't escape me. Lettuce... hahahahahaha I'm still amused.

My 14 year is very strong willed and since the age of 9 or 10, outspoken. If she has a strong opinion on something she's probably going to voice it whether you agree with her or not. We've taught her that 1) she has the right to her opinion and 2) she has the right to voice her opinion and most importantly, 3) everyone else has the right to be spoken to respectfully. It's not a difficult concept. There's nothing wrong with complaining about something if you have decent communication skills.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:35 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,820,785 times
People don't seem to like it when you disagree with them Molly. Everyone has good days and bad ones but, it's the wonderful attitudes of most of you that just brighten my day right up! Many thanks to the forum members for being so warm and friendly. You're all such rays of sunshine.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:56 PM

29,742 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Does it strike any of the rest of you that those of us who maintain positive attitudes and lead our lives happily are amazingly annoying to those people who don't live that way?? lol....

We get our share of complainers on this forum, and boy, don't they seem to just get wound up with those of us who live here happily, or who want to live here, OR who actually know how to find a job here (especially in WashCo ).......
I dont know, I don't think that I am all that negative.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

7,395 posts, read 11,517,896 times
yes MW I noticed "lettuce" and it didn't escape me that under LTTT's name it now says "not a member" either.....and hmmmm....do I believe in coincidences? not so much....

Old 02-12-2008, 05:08 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,352,514 times
...............?????

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine