Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 02:21 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Quick note. Pinewood derby for Washburn is finished. I have a 1st place winner in the house again this year. #2 son won last year, this year it is #1 sons turn to bask in the limelight. I'm proud of them both because for one of the heats they had to race against each other, and without any encouragement, they got to the end of the track and shook each others hand before their race.
Congratulations!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
A lot of what we are looking at are Front wheel drive.. we will be keeping my beat up ol' toyota pick up though.. .Rear wheel, and yea, I know what you mean. Good studded tires (if allowed) and a decent load in the back help, as does knowing the particular truck (doughnut-in-parking-lot practice! Yeah!)

when in iffy conditions my mantras have always been "keep to your lane" and "don't worry about what direction you are pointing, only what direction you are going." And make sure you know how to pray <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Wednesday as I was pulling out from our driveway, I watched a guy in a 1.5 ton pickup, he had gotten the truck to stop perpendicular to the road, blocking both lanes. He worked at it and eventually got going again, but even as he drove off in the distance, his pickup kept fish-tailing.

4WD is great when off-road, and you can truly become seriously stuck with it.

I am a firm believer in Front-Wheel Drive, you just never fish-tail.

A lot of our neighbors drive pickups. Some may have 4WD, all use Rear-Wheel Drive on the pavement. It is very common, whenever you see these guys pulling out on to the pavement, or slowing to pull into their driveways, or simply driving in a straight line on flat level straight road; their pickups fish-tail.

I am looking for a Front-Wheel Drive pickup. Had one years ago, need another one.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:43 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
It looks like the only deisel-fueled Front-wheel Drive pickups are 20 year old VWs too.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM

455 posts, read 1,228,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Quick note. Pinewood derby for Washburn is finished. I have a 1st place winner in the house again this year. #2 son won last year, this year it is #1 sons turn to bask in the limelight. I'm proud of them both because for one of the heats they had to race against each other, and without any encouragement, they got to the end of the track and shook each others hand before their race.
Congratulations on the boys winning. We did the derby with the nephews years ago. Sounds like they are good boys. What else would they be with you for a dad.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:09 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
"Nothing is.....but thinking makes it so" Shakespeare
Are you an existentialist, dear elston??
Read any Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus lately?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Forest:

I can't remember who made it, but in the early 80's someone, maybe Mitsubishi made a front wheel drive small pickup. It had two rear facing bucket seats mounted in the bed. It was a great concept, as the seats could be removed. I can't find any info on them, but my neighbor had one. I remember his kids being buckled in the two bed seats.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:26 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Are you an existentialist, dear elston??
Read any Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus lately?
Luigi Pirandello seems to operate on this philosophy as well. Beckett, Albee and Pinter also have that --nothing is what it seems--thinking is more real than that which we know to be true.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,148 times
I think that was the Brat? was it a Suburu?? seems to come to mind... I had a friend who wanted one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Forest:

I can't remember who made it, but in the early 80's someone, maybe Mitsubishi made a front wheel drive small pickup. It had two rear facing bucket seats mounted in the bed. It was a great concept, as the seats could be removed. I can't find any info on them, but my neighbor had one. I remember his kids being buckled in the two bed seats.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:44 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Thank you everybody for the congrats to the boys. They had a ball, and so did I. Just for giggles and grins, here are a couple of shots of the Ruffians during the race. Have to excuse the one real grainy shot, the flash failed and I had to adjust the brightness a bit to bring out the picture from the darkness. It looks like foohey, but shows how close the two were coming to the finish. No we don't have electronic times before anybody asks, the pack just bought the new track and we still want the local firemen to act as judges for the races. They get a kick out of it, and the boys like seeing them there. The last two are my two and their trophy's. Every boy who races gets the same trophy for being a participant, and the top places get a ribbon to go with their's. The pack feels that every single boy there put their best into their car and they all are winners in their own right so they all get the "bling", with special additions for the fastest cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-2008-pinewood-derby-39-medium-.jpg   Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-2008-pinewood-derby-41-medium-.jpg   Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-2008-pinewood-derby-62-medium-.jpg   Maine's Own Off-Topic Thread -- Pt.2-2008-pinewood-derby-66-medium-.jpg  

Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,806 times
Okay, it is my understanding that the lovely weather the upper midwest is currently experiencing will be heading in your direction in the next 24 hours.

Just so you are all warned. Last nights windchill was -35*.

Today's high never got above 0* and the windchill was already at -26* during the 6:00 local news.

Should be just about the same during tomorrows NFC Championship game at Lambeau. No, I am not attending. I will be in my nice warm living room, 30 minutes south of Lambeau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine