U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 12:02 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,154,461 times

Advertisements

One of the farmcollies passionately hates porcupines. She has a distinctive bark when she finds one. Since I'm not usually far away I can call her off before she gets in trouble. Not many pests wander into the dogs' territory anymore. So far so good. We had a bobcat last week. It walked out of the woods, up the side of the greenhouse and was going into the garden when I yelled at it. We went snowshoeing Saturday to look for tracks. It seems to be that one lone cat and it seems to have moved off. I was surprised at how many rabbit tracks there are out there. The cat has a lot more meals to go than I realized.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 PM

29,757 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Do you have the same problem with porcupines?
We did find some porcupines quills in our cat's fur last fall.

She is a great hunter, for each litter she can go out hourly and within a few minutes comes right back in with a mouse, rat, frog, or something.

Well the last time she was in heat, she took off for three days. When she returned she had quills in her fur.

This litter of kittens was born 14March.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 PM

182 posts, read 429,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Two nights ago our stupid dog found a new playmate. She got sprayed by her new playmate, so now she stinks. Last night our son bathed the dog with tomato juice and H2O2. It helped some but not nearly enough. So tonight I will be bathing her again, more tomato juice and H2O2.
The secret remedy in use at most professional dog grooming shops is hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Mix it to a paste and smear it on. Let it sit for at least 10 min.

Unfortunately speed is another factor. You want to have it on the dog as soon as possible. The longer you wait the less effective this or any other remedy will be.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM

29,757 posts, read 47,624,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
The secret remedy in use at most professional dog grooming shops is hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. Mix it to a paste and smear it on. Let it sit for at least 10 min.

Unfortunately speed is another factor. You want to have it on the dog as soon as possible. The longer you wait the less effective this or any other remedy will be.
Thank you.

I had to go down to Skowhegan anyway to the new Tractor Supply store, so while there I picked up some 'skunk off'.

The first day when our dog first presented with skunk smell, I used tomato juice mixed with H2O2.

Which helped, but it came back.

Then once I had acquired the 'skunk off', I used it.

Which helped, but then it came back.

We have concluded that our dog, did I mention that our dog is stupid-dog?

Our dog likely has the body of the skunk somewhere preserved in a snow bank, and is rolling in it each time that she goes out.

We can wash her, and keep her inside as she dries, and she smells fine.

But she is mostly an outside dog, she likes to sleep with the goats, so she wants out. She refuses to sleep underneath any form of shelter. She likes to curl-up on top of a snow bank, and to melt a dish into the snow. Six hours later she wants back in, to eat and socialize, maybe to dry off, for a while, but she stinks again.

Previously she has preferred to roll-in the bodies of everything dead, so she is likely doing this each time that she goes out.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:59 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,358,037 times
The winds reached sustained speeds of 138 MPH on the top of Mt. Washington yesterday, with gusts reaching 148 MPH. This morning, the wind is blowing 82 MPH and with the windchill it's -51*. Nice day on the "rock pile!"

Mount Washington Observatory – Webcam Network
FAQ

Old 03-22-2008, 07:44 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,222,051 times
For anybody who might be slightly interested. Here is the National Weather Service climate log for my area. NOAA's NWS Forecast Office Caribou, Maine

I believe it updates itself everyday with the temps, precipitation, and total snowfall amounts for this winter season. So Far this season we are at 186.2" Which is 5.1 inches over the record. They are saying if we just get the normal snowfall for the remainder of the season we will finish with just over 200"

Old 03-23-2008, 07:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 5,733,674 times
Since we can be off topic in here, I just wanted to share with you that for those of you who saw my post about not being on much due to satge managing for Glass Menagerie. I had mentioned that I had auditioned for the next production. I also said if I got a part, I amy not be able to be on as often.. well I'll be on as much as I used to be .

Old 03-23-2008, 07:03 AM

38,466 posts, read 18,230,112 times
congratulations dramamama, "Break A Leg"!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
congratulations dramamama, "Break A Leg"!
Thanks. Elston. I didn't get it. The director was seriously considering me for a leads.. and between the 2 of us.. well he picked the other girl. Now I have no part (yet again) and everyone else that's even remotely close to me, has finished auditions. I seem to only get good roles when we have guest directors.*sigh*.

I get to be in an interactive murder mystery.. unfortunately almost everyone involved is in the show I didn't get cast in including the director..Very awkward for me.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:20 AM

Tried to rep you, but I have to spread it around.. My mom warned me about things that spread around!

Last edited by dramamama6685; 03-23-2008 at 08:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine