Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times

Advertisements

On the southwest shore of Allagash Lake where the sun almost never shines there are some caves. Springs run into the caves and the water freezes. Since the sun never hits it and the ice is really thick it often doesn't melt from year to year. These are called the ice caves. If you look on Page 55 of your DeLorme Atlas near the middle of the page you'll see the ice caves marked on the map. We say the best ice is more than two years old and that ice is the only accepable substitute for frozen cider in a Maine old fashioned.

Been there. Done that. Wore out the T-shirt.

I expect that everybody here has a DeLorme Atlas, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:56 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,876,281 times
I don't mind snow but the yard at this house is so small, we've run out of room to put it already. As long as everyone is home safe and sound, it can snow up over the roof. It's fun!

btw: Our wind chill is dropping to -35* tonight. I'd rather have snow...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

I got one when I was up there this fall. MOST USEFUL book! I highly recommend.. even if you are not a "map geek" like me.. I love maps...

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:
On the southwest shore of Allagash Lake where the sun almost never shines there are some caves. Springs run into the caves and the water freezes. Since the sun never hits it and the ice is really thick it often doesn't melt from year to year. These are called the ice caves. If you look on Page 55 of your DeLorme Atlas near the middle of the page you'll see the ice caves marked on the map. We say the best ice is more than two years old and that ice is the only accepable substitute for frozen cider in a Maine old fashioned.

Been there. Done that. Wore out the T-shirt.

Sure do. I will definitely check out page 55.
So antique ice in the Maine old fashioned, eh?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Yep, I've got mine!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,957 times
Default Love snow, too!

Hi, this is my first post on here, but have been reading the forum for months. I love the snow, too. I grew up in Massachusetts, and have lived in Colorado and Montana. Now we live in Texas, which I find to be beyond miserable! I am a weather junkie, too, and look at the forecasts for Maine every day. We live in West TX, where the summers are dry and 100 degrees, day after day after day after day. We call it living in the air conditioned "bubble" all summer...venture out at your own risk. It is no type of childhood I want for my kid. The winters cool down, but there is no snow, so what is the point? We are moving to the Portland area in June, and I cross off the days on the calendar every morning when I get up. We just can't wait to get back to living again....4 seasons, outdoors all the time, the foliage, the ocean, the Red Sox, getting a few dopey dogs to run around with ....just all of it!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,099,406 times
Quote:
.....I expect that everybody here has a DeLorme Atlas, right?

I wouldn't be without mine! The places I would've missed if I hadn't had one....

(and the geocaches I wouldn't have been able to find the road to....)

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
MaineMathTCHER -

When anyone asks:

"Am I crazy ... "

I have to think that the first step in healing is to first recognize that you have a problem.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:05 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMathTCHER View Post
... but the SNOW, and more Snow is so fresh, lovely, and inspiring!
I am either crazy or living in the perfect place for me!
There is a 12 step program for dealing with this type of affliction.

Open your door, take 12 steps, fall over backwards and make a snow angel. Get up and look how amazing it is. Simple, yet captivating. Doesn't cure you of the winter and snow longing, but aggravates it, and makes it so you don't want to go inside.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
"spread it around..." Great program Bydand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: