U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM

1,506 posts, read 2,035,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco17 View Post
I find it amusing that people think that if you can afford a $60K truck that you need for your work, that means that you're wealthy and should feel happy about paying the ME excise tax. People on here need to stop being so judgmental. The OP was simply trying to clarify the auto excise taxes. Telling him that he can afford it and to stop whining is plain rude. You shouldn't be telling someone what they can/can't afford unless you're their accountant.
You, too, are entitled to your opinion. No one said the guy was wealthy. No one has to be happy about paying taxes...excise or otherwise. Maybe you need your $60K truck for work and maybe it is a business expense. The OP was complaining about Maine's excise tax. If he can afford the $60K vehicle, he can afford the tax; otherwise, he needs to buy something he can afford. I don't appreciate people from away complaining about anything about Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,753,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you think I am jealous or envious of you, you are mistaken, but being from away it figures that is how you would interpret what I have said. Maybe after you live in Maine for awhile, you will have a better understanding of some things. I am irked by people from away complaining about anything about Maine. I think it is ridiculous that you have done well financially yet you complain about an excise tax that you can afford to pay. If SC is so much better related to vehicle costs, why don't you move there. You certainly wouldn't have to concern yourself with high heating bills or snow covered roads except on extremely rare occasions. I think you should be thankful that you have the means to afford such a vehicle as well as the excise tax instead of complaining.
Maybe could have been put a little less rudely lol. In one sense I agree with you. If you want to move to Maine, you gotta take the good with the bad. I think people here try to be honest about the good and the not so good things about living in Maine. But, by the same token, there is always room for improvement, and certainly everyone has the right to want to keep THEIR OWN MONEY. We have lots of people in Maine that think that because someone has some money, they shouldn't complain about having it confiscated to give to others. It's perfectly fine to complain about that, and lot's of non-away people complain about it.

I really respect people like Submariner that can live in Maine on a limited amount of money and be happy. There are a lot of them here and it takes a special kind of person to live in the unorganized townships. They work hard. Heat their homes with wood. Go without city services. Are self-sufficient. But it's important to disclose that when advising new Mainers. Yes it can be done, but it isn't for everyone. There's a reason why so few people live here. It's harder than most other places much of the time. But, to me, it's worth it.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 PM

124 posts, read 116,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most of Maine [52%] is Unorganized Townships [UTs]. To date 40 UTs are townships that were once organized, but they each decided to burn their town charter to lower their taxes. UTs still pay property taxes. We still pay for services like: our roads, garbage, the county sheriff, and schools for our children. But UTs do not have town offices, or salaried staff, or Rec Departments. Our tax mil-rate is set by the county.

Each organized township has a bunch of people on salary. Each organized township sets it's own tax mil-rate. Mil-rates vary over a very wide spectrum. It is not uncommon to see two adjacent towns, where one mil-rate may be 3X the other town's mil-rate.

The other big factor is that UTs tend to be fairly rural and remote. Many UTs have no paved roads and no power grid.

Organized towns tend to be far more urban.

I migrated to Maine searching for UT land; rural, remote, low cost, with low taxes. The UT where I found property, is not terribly remote. In fact the interstate cuts right through our town.

I would guess that realtors you speak with will mostly point you at organized towns. There is one realtor I am aware of who specializes in UT land, that is NMLM [Northern Maine Land Man] he regularly posts on this forum.

When I came to Maine, realtors I spoke with did not handle UT properties.
I think we will have to start looking further outside of the area that we have been focusing on.

It seems that Gardiner has high property taxes. Now I'm not going to mention which homes we have physically looked at or the price range, but here is one that I just pulled up in Gardiner to use as an example. 3 bedroom/2 bath on 1 acre - $240k is the asking price and the property taxes were almost $5500 last year. To me this seems extremely high. Do you agree or is this typical for that area?

I have noticed from town to town, similar homes vary greatly in property taxes.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:56 PM

929 posts, read 1,972,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Gee, I didn't think they even asked that any more. I thought they plugged in your VIN number and got the list price of your specific car.
I doubt most town offices have access to a database that would contain that. I know they don't in the town I register vehicles in.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,753,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydinMaine View Post
I think we will have to start looking further outside of the area that we have been focusing on.

It seems that Gardiner has high property taxes. Now I'm not going to mention which homes we have physically looked at or the price range, but here is one that I just pulled up in Gardiner to use as an example. 3 bedroom/2 bath on 1 acre - $240k is the asking price and the property taxes were almost $5500 last year. To me this seems extremely high. Do you agree or is this typical for that area?

Generally, the more urban the area, the higher the taxes will be. $5,500 seems high, but I suspect is about what the taxes on that house would be in Bangor. I live in a town outside of Bangor, and my taxes on a house in the low 200's are about $4,000. But you have to be careful. I owned a house in the 150's in Caribou and (from memory) they were around $3000. The point being, that cities that have a small tax-base are going to have higher property taxes. They have the same expenses, but don't have the property value to tax... hence the higher taxes.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you think I am jealous or envious of you, you are mistaken, but being from away it figures that is how you would interpret what I have said. Maybe after you live in Maine for awhile, you will have a better understanding of some things. I am irked by people from away complaining about anything about Maine. I think it is ridiculous that you have done well financially yet you complain about an excise tax that you can afford to pay. If SC is so much better related to vehicle costs, why don't you move there. You certainly wouldn't have to concern yourself with high heating bills or snow covered roads except on extremely rare occasions. I think you should be thankful that you have the means to afford such a vehicle as well as the excise tax instead of complaining.
Have you read any of my posts or do you have your crosshair aimed at anyone not from Maine? You would have thought I came in here bashing Maine. I made mention of your excise tax and asked a question. As a soon to be new resident of Maine, you can imagine my surprise. If you enjoy your excise tax so much I would gladly let you pay mine!

Have you ever been to SC? I have several times and would not want to live there. I used it as a reference to your statement about personal property taxes. Just a reference is all. Never said it was better than Maine.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Public schools are pretty much funded by property taxes. In Ellsworth, a fairly new, 2 BR, 1 bath, no garage, approx 1 acre, taxes are more than $2,000 a year....another similar house with a 2-car garage--$4000 a year so I am not surprised by $5500 in Gardiner for a house with those features on 1 acre.

I just saw a 4 BR, 2 bath house, 2-car garage built in 2006 on Winkumpaugh Road in Ellsworth for $150,520 Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data - Trulia (disclaimer: not saying you want to live in Ellsworth, but someone might be interested)

Here's one in Gardiner with 5 BR, 2 bath, 2-car garage for $219,000. 1121 River Avenue, Gardiner, ME For Sale | Trulia.com

Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Generally, the more urban the area, the higher the taxes will be. $5,500 seems high, but I suspect is about what the taxes on that house would be in Bangor. I live in a town outside of Bangor, and my taxes on a house in the low 200's are about $4,000. But you have to be careful. I owned a house in the 150's in Caribou and (from memory) they were around $3000. The point being, that cities that have a small tax-base are going to have higher property taxes. They have the same expenses, but don't have the property value to tax... hence the higher taxes.
Quote:
Public schools are pretty much funded by property taxes. In Ellsworth, a fairly new, 2 BR, 1 bath, no garage, approx 1 acre, taxes are more than $2,000 a year....another similar house with a 2-car garage--$4000 a year so I am not surprised by $5500 in Gardiner for a house with those features on 1 acre.

I just saw a 4 BR, 2 bath house, 2-car garage built in 2006 on Winkumpaugh Road in Ellsworth for $150,520 Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments for Rent, Local data - Trulia (disclaimer: not saying you want to live in Ellsworth, but someone might be interested)

Here's one in Gardiner with 5 BR, 2 bath, 2-car garage for $219,000. 1121 River Avenue, Gardiner, ME For Sale | Trulia.com
So the property taxes I'm running across are typical for the area. As long as that is the norm, I can deal with it.

I have noticed that most of the properties we have looked at are currently under homestead exemption with the current owners. That will not transfer over to me so will I be in for a surprise and see a big jump in the property tax the first year I own it or can I expect for it to remain close to the same?

Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Have you read any of my posts or do you have your crosshair aimed at anyone not from Maine? You would have thought I came in here bashing Maine. I made mention of your excise tax and asked a question. As a soon to be new resident of Maine, you can imagine my surprise. If you enjoy your excise tax so much I would gladly let you pay mine!

Have you ever been to SC? I have several times and would not want to live there. I used it as a reference to your statement about personal property taxes. Just a reference is all. Never said it was better than Maine.
Yes, I have read your posts; we just don't agree on some things nor do we share the same perspectives. Say what you want, but to me what you said about the excise tax is complaining about Maine. I don't think anyone is particularly happy about paying taxes of any kind. Yes, believe it or not I have been to SC several times and I wouldn't want to live there. Well, at least we have one thing we can agree on: SC is not better than Maine.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
So the property taxes I'm running across are typical for the area. As long as that is the norm, I can deal with it.

I have noticed that most of the properties we have looked at are currently under homestead exemption with the current owners. That will not transfer over to me so will I be in for a surprise and see a big jump in the property tax the first year I own it or can I expect for it to remain close to the same?
If my understanding is correct, the homestead exemption knocks $10,000 off the value of the property before the property tax is calculated. Property Tax Exemptions, MRS The mill rate for Gardiner is $19.20 per $1,000 of valuation; you would pay more until you establish the property as your permanent residence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine