Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 07:55 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I know one farmer in Houlton who has not traveled beyond where he can see his farm for over 40 years. He's in his 70's so I don't know about the first 30 years of his life, but he doesn't even go to town. There is a phobia some people have and this guy has it and is perfectly content as long as he can see his own farm. He hasn't traveled more than a mile from it over that time.
Wow, that is definitely to the extreme. Sounds like some mental health issues going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
When I lived in Hancock county and had a job in Bar Harbor, I worked with an older guy who only left Mount Desert Island once every 10 years or so.
I can understand that. There is a fear that, like Brigadoon, it will disappear overnight if we leave.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:14 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Folks should do/live/eat/work/play in ways and places that make them happy and comfortable. I've known people who had never travelled outside Maine or even their county. I've found them delightful in every way.

Old 05-26-2015, 04:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
I'm wondering if this could be a French trait? I know there are many up in the County.

My wife was born in Fall River, MA. Back when her mom was alive, she'd comment on which neighbors of hers (all French) had never left Fall River. There were quite a few. Then I remember the town of Woonsocket, RI, where my work sometimes took me. A lot of French live there, all Canadian-derived. I recall that many of then had not ventured beyond the town limits of Woonsocket, in quite a while.

A Frenchman who lived in Providence (dragged there from Fall River by his Fall River-born French wife) was once required to fly out to California for work training. It nearly killed him, and he never left again!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:20 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Actually, almost all Valley French people have been out of Maine. Almost all have been to Connecticut, due to the massive number of them who have either worked there or had family members live there. That's for starters. 90% go to Canada on a very regular basis, or have lived there.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:06 AM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Never been out of Maine? Maybe not, but plenty of people from "real Maine" (as some like to call it... North of Augusta parts of Maine) rarely if ever go far. My family is from Washington County and it's pulling teeth to even get them to come visit me down here in the Portland region. It's a huge scary metropolis to them; I mean Bangor is the "big city" to them, a special once every few months trip for something big (buying a car, Christmas shopping, etc). I finally, after being down here for years, got my parents to come stay for a few days and they were scared to death driving on the Turnpike or in Portland area traffic.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Folks should do/live/eat/work/play in ways and places that make them happy and comfortable. I've known people who had never travelled outside Maine or even their county. I've found them delightful in every way.
+++

Exactly. Who are we to judge them? I actually admire people that are totally content with their locale and don't feel the need to leave it. I find myself being more of a "homebody" as I get older........but I also don't feel a longing to be around people.....especially large crowds. And the way the world is evolving.......I'm very happy on my 63 acre "slice of heaven" most of the time.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:38 AM

506 posts, read 683,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Never been out of Maine? Maybe not, but plenty of people from "real Maine" (as some like to call it... North of Augusta parts of Maine) rarely if ever go far. My family is from Washington County and it's pulling teeth to even get them to come visit me down here in the Portland region. It's a huge scary metropolis to them; I mean Bangor is the "big city" to them, a special once every few months trip for something big (buying a car, Christmas shopping, etc). I finally, after being down here for years, got my parents to come stay for a few days and they were scared to death driving on the Turnpike or in Portland area traffic.
Or they really don't want the hassle of dealing with traffic and people. Who can blame them?

Old 05-27-2015, 07:25 AM

155 posts, read 196,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Or they really don't want the hassle of dealing with traffic and people. Who can blame them?
Nope they're just scared. There are so many misconceptions about other places up there; a lot of times reinforced by the older generations. "Oh you go to Portland/Boston/New York you'll get mugged or your car will be stolen."

Old 05-27-2015, 08:31 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Nope they're just scared. There are so many misconceptions about other places up there; a lot of times reinforced by the older generations. "Oh you go to Portland/Boston/New York you'll get mugged or your car will be stolen."
On the flip side I've been asked, or heard comments, by folks who have come to Maine:

How many people are killed by bears in a year?
Will I hit a moose/deer and be killed if I drive to Moosehead?
I'm afraid I won't find inside plumbing up North.
I'm afraid to drive on roads without street lights.
I wouldn't have come if I'd know there wasn't wifi everywhere!
My kids have to have cable tv, you don't have cable tv?
Why is it so dark here? It's not dark like this at home? It's really creepy.
Lobsters at home don't have green stuff in them. Will I get sick.
I couldn't come in the winter, I'd be afraid I'd freeze to death.

Kinda funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine