Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM

21 posts, read 87,908 times

Advertisements

Are there flying roaches aka palmetto bugs aka water bugs or anything similar (Palos Verdes beetles, June bugs,Circadas) in Portland Maine or nearby areas. I am referring to the huge roaches like you find in Florida, Texas, South Carolina and the tropics; they often come in the summers only in cold areas. Sadly, I am a huge roach phobic, particularly flying roaches. I actually feel very embarrassed that I am so terrified but thus is the nature of phobias--irrational fear. I am planning to relocate and checking out various states. I am in Northern California. Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
There are June bugs here, but I have never seen BIG A**ED ROACHES until I moved to southern NM last year. Holy cow, they came out at night especially, some flying and some not, HUGE ugly things!!!

Sorry, I'm not helping you, am I? I'm glad to be back in Maine where they are not.

Edited to add: I was wondering the other day if we have cicadas here. Every summer I hear a certain noise on the really hot days. And last week there was the weirdest, ugliest thing on my back steps. I've never seen one before. I suppose I should go do some googling.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:03 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
i've never heard of flying roaches before, but i have seen japanese beetles, very small compared to roaches, and they usually avoid people

Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glittergurl View Post
Are there flying roaches aka palmetto bugs aka water bugs or anything similar (Palos Verdes beetles, June bugs,Circadas) in Portland Maine or nearby areas. I am referring to the huge roaches like you find in Florida, Texas, South Carolina and the tropics; they often come in the summers only in cold areas. Sadly, I am a huge roach phobic, particularly flying roaches. I actually feel very embarrassed that I am so terrified but thus is the nature of phobias--irrational fear. I am planning to relocate and checking out various states. I am in Northern California. Thank you in advance for your help.
In Maine and all of the Northeast, I'd be more concerned about getting lyme disease from deer ticks.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:50 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Edited to add: I was wondering the other day if we have cicadas here. Every summer I hear a certain noise on the really hot days. And last week there was the weirdest, ugliest thing on my back steps. I've never seen one before. I suppose I should go do some googling.
Yes we do. I saw one a few days ago. A little boy brought a praying mantis to show 'n tell at his daycare in Old Town two weeks ago.

Old 08-22-2010, 04:53 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Praying manti (?) are cool!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM

21 posts, read 87,908 times
thank you all kindly for your replies. I very seriously phobic and appreciate your willingness to answer such a seemingly silly question. It is very important to me. Maine is on the the potential relocate list. sinere thanks!

Old 08-22-2010, 05:25 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,319,184 times
I USED to have noral crawling roaches in my first rented house almost 40 year ago that were four inches long. You had to spray the RAID foam directly on top of them to take them out.

God forbid if the buggers could fly. Cr@p! They ate their way through the rubber seal into my refrigerator. I had to keep my silver ware under water.

Wiki: Cockroaches are among the hardiest insects on the planet. Some species are capable of remaining active for a month without food and are able to survive on limited resources like the glue from the back of postage stamps.[20] Some can go without air for 45 minutes. In one experiment, cockroaches were able to recover from being submerged underwater for half an hour.[21]

Ootheca of Periplaneta americana; Florianópolis, SC, Brazil.
It is popularly suggested that cockroaches will "inherit the earth" if humanity destroys itself in a nuclear war. Cockroaches do indeed have a much higher radiation resistance than vertebrates, with the lethal dose perhaps 6 to 15 times that for humans. However, they are not exceptionally radiation-resistant compared to other insects, such as the fruit fly.[22]

The cockroach's ability to withstand radiation better than human beings can be explained through the cell cycle. Cells are most vulnerable to the effects of radiation when they are dividing. A cockroach's cells divide only once each time it molts, which is weekly at most in a juvenile roach. Since not all cockroaches would be molting at the same time, many would be unaffected by an acute burst of radiation, but lingering radioactive fallout would still be harmful.[23]

I know pre-historic roaches too. did they fly?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I have never seen a roach in Maine. We have no ticks where I live. We are just too far north. A few roaches arrived back in the 1970s in the Loring AFB area with military families from down south, but they died out within a couple of years.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i've never heard of flying roaches before, but i have seen japanese beetles, very small compared to roaches, and they usually avoid people
Yeah, I got to know them when I lived in Texas. Wake up at night, turn a light on and the walls would ripple, thousands of them scattering. Maybe I embellish just a tad but it was something to see. Got used to them after a while. Got used to shaking out my boots too, just in case something nasty and poisonous had crawled in. Glad we don't have many critters like that here.

Cicadas...run on a 7 year cycle I think. Sound like a loud whining hum on very warm days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine