U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 9,582 times

Advertisements

Hi Im new to the site, so hi everyone. I live in Ohio but would like to move up on the land Im buying. I, buying land in North Amity Maine, never went up to see it yet, im buying 200 acres because im a hunter and was wanting to know what that part was like for the hunting and living there. Im trying to get up there this spring to see what it is like there and maybe me and the family will move there once I get me a home on the land. If anyone out there that has any pictures of anything in that part to share with me would be very nice. Im doing alot of thinking about this just to get away from it all here in Ohio. thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 09:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,451,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbase30 View Post
Hi Im new to the site, so hi everyone. I live in Ohio but would like to move up on the land Im buying. I, buying land in North Amity Maine, never went up to see it yet, im buying 200 acres because im a hunter and was wanting to know what that part was like for the hunting and living there. Im trying to get up there this spring to see what it is like there and maybe me and the family will move there once I get me a home on the land. If anyone out there that has any pictures of anything in that part to share with me would be very nice. Im doing alot of thinking about this just to get away from it all here in Ohio. thanks alot
northern maine is nice very liberal but nice did you know that you can;t hunt on sunday in maine?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,451,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbase30 View Post
northern maine is nice very liberal but nice did you know that you can;t hunt on sunday in maine? it's also the highest taxed state in the nation and has a low pay scale. great to visit but think before you move. Why do you think a state this big is so few ppl.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:00 AM

4 posts, read 16,927 times
I actually thought it was more the climate... but from what ive learned on this sight, the taxes and job opportunites are also a big factor. Im from Mass at the moment, so taxes are something i can relate to... from what ive seen of Maine, there doesn't seem to be quite as many.. ahem.. M*******s... so the quality of the people is one motovating factor, at least for me.

Id suggest securing a job before you move. I'm looking into land in northern Maine up around Houlton and Caribou. Houlton is near N. Amity and i think that will be the "major" town around you. (anyone up there can correct me if I'm wrong about this). With any big move it is best if you can check it out in person.. if you can get a bit of time off take a vacation up there and get to know the area.

good luck

Old 11-11-2006, 12:41 AM

420 posts, read 1,347,009 times
northern maine and southern maine are like two different states. They are quite different. Northern maine is generally conservative and rural. Potato farming, the forest industry and other agricultural things have a large presence. There isnt as much tourism either. Usually the summercaters stay along the coast.

Old 11-11-2006, 12:53 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,601,590 times
Deer hunting is not as good in Northern maine due to brutal winters and loss of wintering habitat (cedar swamps and hemlock stands) however the deer are very big. A buck that dresses over 200 lbs is not uncommon.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,582 times
Thanks for the questions, I think the hardest part was to buy the land and I have it, its just now getting a home built or have a trailer put there. This place I have is in North Amity so it might be fine. What will it be like to hunt the moose and black bear like. Is these animals even there to hunt, I just wanted something different to hunt for. I belive I will do as you say, take a trip up there a few times to see for myself what its really like there and then go from there. Thanks for getting back with me on this

Old 11-11-2006, 11:22 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,601,590 times
Lots of bear and Moose but Moose hunting is by permit only

Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,644 times
Default Amity is extremely rural

I too own part of North Amity. It is extremely rural, just what I like. All woods and not many people.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 PM

1,461 posts, read 220,382 times
have you been to antartica well is very pretty, very cold though... my husband saw snow every month of the year except July.. Snow on the ground by Halloween no questions asked.. Then again he lived about 15-30 north of Caribou.. so thats extremes.. but if you can handle cold then you're good..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine