U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:56 AM

631 posts, read 575,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most years a power spike will fry our modem. I take it in and they replace it. One year I tried buying my own, but it could not synch-up. When I spoke with tech support they said that when they give a customer a modem, it's serial number is logged into your account. So only that specific modem can connect for you.

When I took the private modem back for a refund that sales guy said that it happens a lot. They sell modems and most are returned, because they can not connect to the phone companies here.

I use OpenDNS.
When I lived on our almond ranch out by the far end of Grayson Rd in Modesto, power outages were a brown or blackout for the whole street. When it happened, we lost routers from putting it in the wall without a surge protector. After the 3rd one and a destroyed motherboard on one pc, we started plugging everything into surge protectors. I only buy highly rated ones after a few cheapo surge protectors were a laughable failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 10:47 AM

285 posts, read 247,329 times
Default Could you provide us with that LIST?

Quote:
I would love to speak with that TWC installer.

I have called TWC. They flat refuse to go into my township.

I have a long list of townships in Maine [ie, the MAJORITY OF TOWNSHIPS OF MAINE] that TWC will not provide service to.

Seriously give me his name

Hi Submariner,

Hey, could you provide us with that list of Maine towns that T.W.C. won't provide service to, please!

Thankx!

CTwoodnutt

Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM

Default Surge protectors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
When I lived on our almond ranch out by the far end of Grayson Rd in Modesto, power outages were a brown or blackout for the whole street. When it happened, we lost routers from putting it in the wall without a surge protector. After the 3rd one and a destroyed motherboard on one pc, we started plugging everything into surge protectors. I only buy highly rated ones after a few cheapo surge protectors were a laughable failure.
Hi Kingdomkz,

Y-e-s on good quality Surge Protectors!!!

I'm an ex-IT guy, who uses surge protectors plugged into surge protectors, before plugging in many of my good electronic stuff. (PC, Internet Radio, TV, Stereo, other radios, etc). [I'm a 'Radio-nut]!

I must have 20 of 'em, and use them before I plug in ANYTHING electronic, that I want to save!
Mine are called 'Masterpiece' and are as large as a pitza box.
These were used to place on top of a desktop computers box, then the monitor was placed on top of it.
I live on top of a small 800' hill, and we always get lightning strikes, power outages etc.
Last year, a lightning bolt struck a power pole three poles away from my house, split the pole, started a fire with it, blew out the entire neighborhoods/hills power, but I D-I-D-N-'T loose any of my electronics!!

Buy good surge protectors, use them for everything you've got, and you'll be a happy little clam!

Have a good Saturday.

CTwoodnutt

Old 06-06-2015, 11:25 AM

30,646 posts, read 49,319,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
When I lived on our almond ranch out by the far end of Grayson Rd in Modesto
Modesto? Not Ceres?

Quote:
... power outages were a brown or blackout for the whole street. When it happened, we lost routers from putting it in the wall without a surge protector. After the 3rd one and a destroyed motherboard on one pc, we started plugging everything into surge protectors. I only buy highly rated ones after a few cheapo surge protectors were a laughable failure.
My laptop is plugged into a UPS, my DW's has it's own UPS, our modem and router have their own UPS.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
... Hey, could you provide us with that list of Maine towns that T.W.C. won't provide service to, please!

Thankx!

CTwoodnutt
I have spoken with them before to see if they planned to expand into our town [Argyle], at that time they said 'No'.

Here is a list of UTs in Penobscot County, I would expect them to avoid all UTs:
Argyle
Cedar Lake Township
Grand Falls
Greenfield
Grindstone
Herseytown
Hopkins Academy Grant
Indian Purchase 3
Indian Purchase 4
Kingman
Long A
Mattamiscontis
Prentiss
Pukakon
Soldiertown
Summit
Veazie Gore

TA R7 WELS
T1 R6 WELS
T1 R8 WELS
T2 R8 NWP
T2 R8 WELS
T2 R9 NWP
T3 R1 NBPP
T3 R7 WELS
T3 R8 WELS
T4 R7 WELS
T4 R8 WELS
T5 R7 WELS
T5 R8 WELS
T6 R6 WELS
T6 R7 WELS
T6 R8 WELS
T7 R6 WELS
T7 R7 WELS
T7 R8 WELS
T8 R6 WELS
T8 R7 WELS
T8 R8 WELS

I get a book from the state every year, the annual fiscal report, that breaks down the state / county budgets for each UT. Obviously it lists all UTs.

Tell me which county your interested in and I can list them for you.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Modesto? Not Ceres?

My laptop is plugged into a UPS, my DW's has it's own UPS, our modem and router have their own UPS.
Hi Submariner,

I have a dumb question....

What's a "DW" ?

Just wonderin' ...

Thankx,

CTwoodnutt

Old 06-06-2015, 11:35 AM

631 posts, read 575,652 times
Quote:
Hi Kingdomkz,

Y-e-s on good quality Surge Protectors!!!

I'm an ex-IT guy, who uses surge protectors plugged into surge protectors, before plugging in many of my good electronic stuff. (PC, Internet Radio, TV, Stereo, other radios, etc). [I'm a 'Radio-nut]!

I must have 20 of 'em, and use them before I plug in ANYTHING electronic, that I want to save!
Mine are called 'Masterpiece' and are as large as a pitza box.
These were used to place on top of a desktop computers box, then the monitor was placed on top of it.
I live on top of a small 800' hill, and we always get lightning strikes, power outages etc.
Last year, a lightning bolt struck a power pole three poles away from my house, split the pole, started a fire with it, blew out the entire neighborhoods/hills power, but I D-I-D-N-'T loose any of my electronics!!

Buy good surge protectors, use them for everything you've got, and you'll be a happy little clam!

Have a good Saturday.

CTwoodnutt
I will never NOT use a good surge protector, the $3500 I put into my personal build of a gigantic desktop with 3 monitors, I just can't afford to have the computer and equipment to explode, especially during school.

Quote:
Modesto? Not Ceres?

Modesto? Not Ceres?

Always been in Modesto, have unfortunately never left. I worked my way through the entire Ceres Unified School District system though, because our original house was literally on the border of Ceres and Modesto, if I crossed the street I would have been in Ceres, thus we went to Ceres schools. Specifically Westport > Blaker Kinser > Central Valley High School (This school opened up in 2006 to provide some breathing room for Ceres High, I was part of the first class at CVHS.) On a final note, my street was originally called Adamsville and was I believe the first township of Stanislaus County.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Submariner,

I have a dumb question....

What's a "DW" ?

Just wonderin' ...

Thankx,

CTwoodnutt
DW - Darling Wife,
DH - Darn-near-perfect Husband,
DD - Daughter,
DS - Son,

Old 06-06-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I have spoken with them before to see if they planned to expand into our town [Argyle], at that time they said 'No'.

Here is a list of UTs in Penobscot County, I would expect them to avoid all UTs:
Argyle
Cedar Lake Township
Grand Falls
Greenfield
Grindstone
Herseytown
Hopkins Academy Grant
Indian Purchase 3
Indian Purchase 4
Kingman
Long A
Mattamiscontis
Prentiss
Pukakon
Soldiertown
Summit
Veazie Gore

TA R7 WELS
T1 R6 WELS
T1 R8 WELS
T2 R8 NWP
T2 R8 WELS
T2 R9 NWP
T3 R1 NBPP
T3 R7 WELS
T3 R8 WELS
T4 R7 WELS
T4 R8 WELS
T5 R7 WELS
T5 R8 WELS
T6 R6 WELS
T6 R7 WELS
T6 R8 WELS
T7 R6 WELS
T7 R7 WELS
T7 R8 WELS
T8 R6 WELS
T8 R7 WELS
T8 R8 WELS

I get a book from the state every year, the annual fiscal report, that breaks down the state / county budgets for each UT. Obviously it lists all UTs.

Tell me which county your interested in and I can list them for you.

Hi Submariner,

Well, it might be a bit of work/typing for you, but I'm very interested in Oxford & Franklin Counties.

How would you know from that book w/those Fiscal reports what towns would have cable service???
It sounds interesting..

Please, at your leisure, let me know those, no rush.

You are just a Well of good information, Sir.
And I Thank You!

Have a Good Saturday!

CTwoodnutt
- (Watching the Formula 1 of Canada qualifying as I write this...see what I mean about Cable)!

Old 06-06-2015, 06:56 PM

780 posts, read 1,079,535 times
I like to refer to my husband as TOBAC...The Ole Ball And Chain.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine