Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 07:35 AM

124 posts, read 178,611 times

Advertisements

Which major international airport does those living in Northern Aroostook County (Eagle Lake area) use when traveling overseas?

I was looking at google maps, and I am presuming if one would travel to Europe, etc you would drive to Quebec City? Is this true? Or would you just drive the six hours to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:51 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
I do a fair amount of travel and have never found flying out of Fredericton as cheap as here in the states. I assume Quebec City would be the same. For International travel it would be either driving to Boston, or making a connection through Boston or Philly. Bangor has flights into Philly. Maybe from up North someone would take PenAir out of Presque Isle to Boston, then take a flight out of there overseas. PenAir partners with Alaska Air so it would include two fares most likely. A lot of people drive to Bangor, then take the Concord Trailways bus to Boston and fly out of there. I find myself doing that quite a bit, although there have been some pretty good fares out of Portland lately. Last year I made the mistake of flying out of Bangor to Philly, connecting to a flight to Ireland. It was only $100 more than going out of Boston, so I went for the convenience. Big mistake! The flight to Philly was delayed 3 hours so I missed the connection in Philly and ended up losing one day off my vacation, instead spending that day running through airports. Had I gone out of Boston, that wouldn't have happened. Another time I flew out of Bangor to Denver instead of Boston-Denver. After an 11 hour delay, my 45 minute flight from LaGuardia to Bangor took off. I much would have preferred the 4 hour bus ride that I could have slept on. So at the end of the day, most often flying out of Boston is the best bet if you consider reliability and price.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
I suspect that the only deals to be had for N Mainers flying out of Quebec City would be to non-US sun destinations like the Dominican Republic and Cuba (if you want to go there)...

Old 06-12-2015, 11:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
You can get a cheap flight to the Dominican Republic straight into Puerto Plata out of Boston. Not so to Cuba. Do you think the DR is under Castro rule or something? GREAT place. Buddy has beach bar in Cabarete, east of Puerto Plata.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
You can go Quebec City, Fredericton or Bangor. We have used all 3 but usually use Fredericton (live in Caribou).

Old 06-21-2015, 11:48 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
You can get a cheap direct flight out of Boston. However, I may be visiting my son in Texas. But the drive to Boston and then home means that I will need a day to drive and then fly out the next day, and the same on the return. So the cheap flight of $290 round trip, gets two motels of $150 added to it, bring the cheap round flight up(for two of us) to more than $900, which is actually less than flying out of Bangor and stopping over in Philly. Since I have relatives outside of Philly, if I get stuck there, I can stay with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: