Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 07:31 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quotes from Albert Einstein:

"Too many of us look upon Americans as dollar chasers. This is a cruel libel, even if it is reiterated thoughtlessly by the Americans themselves."

"No, this trick won't work...How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?"

"My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind."

Old 06-30-2008, 08:23 PM

"Yes, we have to divide up our time like that, between our politics and our equations. But to me our equations are far more important, for politics are only a matter of present concern. A mathematical equation stands forever."

"The release of atom power has changed everything except our way of thinking...the solution to this problem lies in the heart of mankind. If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker."

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 AM

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

"Now he has departed from this strange world a little ahead of me. That means nothing. People like us, who believe in physics, know that the distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat."

Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM

Biblical Ways to Acquire a Wife

1. Find an attractive prisoner of war, bring her home, shave her head, trim her nails, and give her new clothes. Then she's yours. - (Deuteronomy 21:11-13)

2. Find a prostitute and marry her.-- Hosea (Hosea 1:1-3)

3. Find a man with seven daughters, and impress him by watering his flock.-- Moses (Exodus 2:16-21)

4. Go to a party and hide. When the women come out to dance, grab one and carry her off to be your wife. -- Benjaminites (Judges 21:19-25)

5. Have God create a wife for you while you sleep. Note: this will cost you a rib.-- Adam (Genesis 2:19-24)

6. Agree to work seven years in exchange for a woman's hand in marriage Get tricked into marrying the wrong woman. Then work another seven years for the woman you wanted to marry in the first place. That's right. Fourteen years of toil for a woman. -- Jacob (Genesis 29:15-30) [and walk away with two wives]

7. Cut off 200 foreskins from your future father-in-law's enemies and get his daughter for a wife. -- David (I Samuel 18:27)

8. Even if no one is out there, just wander around a bit and you'll definitely find someone. (It's all relative of course.) -- Cain (Genesis 4:16-17)

9. Become the emperor of a huge nation and hold a beauty contest. -- Xerxes or Ahasuerus (Esther 2:3-4)

10. When you see someone you like, go home and tell your parents, "I have seen a ...woman; now get her for me." If your parents question your decision, simply say, "Get her for me. She's the one for me." -- Samson (Judges 14:1-3)

11. Don't be so picky. Make up for quality with quantity. -- Solomon (1 Kings 11:1-3)

12. If a man find a girl who is a virgin and rape her, he is to give her father a roll of dimes and he is married to her. Deut 22:28-29

13. Have your first wife locate, arrange and present to you, your second wife. Gen 16:1-3

14. Wait for your brother to die. Take his widow. (It's not just a good idea, it's the law). -- Onan and Boaz (Deuteronomy and Leviticus, example in Ruth)

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Biblical Ways to Acquire a Wife

12. If a man find a girl who is a virgin and rape her, he is to give her father a roll of dimes and he is married to her. Deut 22:28-29
I knew those rolls of dimes would come in handy someday!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Wow! Now that really simplifies the dating game!!

Old 07-02-2008, 10:59 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
28If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found;

29Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days.

fifty shekels went a lot further in those days eh?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM

444 posts, read 928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
All right then, those of us who have been subjected to this particular type of violence certainly don't want to read about it on city data

Old 07-02-2008, 12:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
All right then, those of us who have been subjected to this particular type of violence certainly don't want to read about it on city data
Your pain is shared by all but none of us are mind readers. Forest was paraphrasing the bible not making up things arbitrarily. This thread is given deep latitude to go off topic as many "Deep thoughts" tend to drift into theological, supernatural, and even the down right weird. No one is promoting rape or violence toward women. It's just pretty ironic that the bible would, if not condone that behaviour , the condemnation is not real stern. That's the point.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM

444 posts, read 928,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Your pain is shared by all but none of us are mind readers. Forest was paraphrasing the bible not making up things arbitrarily. This thread is given deep latitude to go off topic as many "Deep thoughts" tend to drift into theological, supernatural, and even the down right weird. No one is promoting rape or violence toward women. It's just pretty ironic that the bible would, if not condone that behaviour , the condemnation is not real stern. That's the point.
Sorry, you are totally right. It is just a quote. I shouldn't have said anything. It just struck me in a dark spot. I'll go away now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine