Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Maine: software sale, cost of living, selling my house, find a job, rental property management.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:28 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,362,313 times

Advertisements

Thanks...I guess I know what I need to do, it just helps to put some thoughts out there and see if others think it's being rational. I'm in no hurry, and our 2 week 'test' recently went very well, so it would appear that we are quite compatible in a 24/7 relationship.

I need to 'experience' the area at different times of the year in order to make a fair assessment, and it needs to be for at least a week at a time, ideally with a 'hall pass' from my company that would let me go out and work remote - all I need is internet connectivity and I'm good to go. I'd like to get a feel for what the people are like, what goes on, places to go & things to do, summer traffic (it can't be worse than I-70 into the mountains here, can it?!), job market, etc. etc.

I've explained to her that the last thing I want is to move out there, not have things work out, and then grow to resent her for being the reason I pulled up stakes in CO. I'm thinking it's going to be another year or so before I'm ready, assuming things continue to go well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
Shuffler, I understand your situation well. I too am facing a choice of relationship or place, though the relationship is where I am now, and Maine is the place I want to move to (he doesn't). Very tough decision, and you seem to be approaching it the smart way. Take your time and do lots of research. I also understand why you don't want to leave CO. Every time I visit, I want to move there. But I would miss the lush green of the east...

This forum rocks and you will learn a lot. The people here are funny, warm, and welcoming.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Shuffler, I understand your situation well. I too am facing a choice of relationship or place, though the relationship is where I am now, and Maine is the place I want to move to (he doesn't). Very tough decision, and you seem to be approaching it the smart way. Take your time and do lots of research. I also understand why you don't want to leave CO. Every time I visit, I want to move there. But I would miss the lush green of the east...

This forum rocks and you will learn a lot. The people here are funny, warm, and welcoming.
That's about it - relationship or place - the goal is to have both, so it's my mission to learn as much as I can and get back out there. It's all about feeling good with whatever decision I come to. At the same time, it's interesting to see all the posts in the CO forum about 'moving to CO' and posting my 'semi-native' insights there. It's clear that some people are delusional when it comes to this kind of thing! I like to think I'm keeping a level head...

Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
That's about it - relationship or place - the goal is to have both, so it's my mission to learn as much as I can and get back out there. It's all about feeling good with whatever decision I come to. At the same time, it's interesting to see all the posts in the CO forum about 'moving to CO' and posting my 'semi-native' insights there. It's clear that some people are delusional when it comes to this kind of thing! I like to think I'm keeping a level head...
I've contributed to the TN forum as a native on the "Moving to TN" threads. The City-Data forums are a great resource for those wanting to get the real scoop from natives and the newly transplanted. We need more than just the pretty picture that the States' and Cities' websites paint to attract new residents.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 AM

the 'chamber of commerce/realtor' views are always a bit biased & over-optimistic...it's good to level-set people on things...these forums are great and I appreciate all the insight & feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: