Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:45 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times

Advertisements

I've been here 60 years, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on home. I grew up on Moxie and Coffeepots. You can still get the best coffee pot at Ledbetters on Hammond St. in Bangor. The "2-meat" is simply Skip's old "Deluxe." Wicked.

By the way - notwithstanding the New Farmer's Almanac - the paper wasps are building high and I saw a HELLUVA black bear on the Coldbrook Road a mile from Dysart's the other day. I used to guide bear hunters downeast, and this thing was an easy 350#, maybe 400, FAT, shiny, roly-poly and covered almost one lane of the road in a bound before it ran through a yard, under a swingset and disappeared off into the woods towards Wheeler Stream. Of course, wife jumps out of the car an tears after it holding up her phone in front of her. No photos, and some serious reflection after she came back to the truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM

631 posts, read 749,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
I've been here 60 years, and I think I've got a pretty good handle on home. I grew up on Moxie and Coffeepots. You can still get the best coffee pot at Ledbetters on Hammond St. in Bangor. The "2-meat" is simply Skip's old "Deluxe." Wicked.

By the way - notwithstanding the New Farmer's Almanac - the paper wasps are building high and I saw a HELLUVA black bear on the Coldbrook Road a mile from Dysart's the other day. I used to guide bear hunters downeast, and this thing was an easy 350#, maybe 400, FAT, shiny, roly-poly and covered almost one lane of the road in a bound before it ran through a yard, under a swingset and disappeared off into the woods towards Wheeler Stream. Of course, wife jumps out of the car an tears after it holding up her phone in front of her. No photos, and some serious reflection after she came back to the truck.
We have one of them paper nests facing the street, going to take it after November's cold when the colony should be gone. We went to Palmyra yesterday and seen a bundle of orb weavers wrapped them branches up, typically around the pine cones. Pleasant drive that Hartland Ave on to Main St. was. Still waiting for a moose, but not a lottery won early while going I-95 N.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
The trick with the wasp nest is to throw it in the freezer after you pluck it. Leave it there in a trashbag for a few days. Otherwise they could come rolling out into your living room and that's very inconvenient. We had one on the shed that looked like an alien's head hanging down and extending outward like a mouth. Over a foot across, but I would've needed to carefully cut it off the soffit with a long blade so I just left it. A woodpecker got at it and went nuts. Some of it's still there.

Wife always said if I wanted a moose bad enough, I know where to get one, but having never been drawn, I'm all done donating $5/try to IF&W. What a racket. I'll stick with deer. Should be a great partridge year out the stud mill road from what I've seen and heard. Broods did well, but there ain't jack for deer down there any more.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM

631 posts, read 749,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
The trick with the wasp nest is to throw it in the freezer after you pluck it. Leave it there in a trashbag for a few days. Otherwise they could come rolling out into your living room and that's very inconvenient. We had one on the shed that looked like an alien's head hanging down and extending outward like a mouth. Over a foot across, but I would've needed to carefully cut it off the soffit with a long blade so I just left it. A woodpecker got at it and went nuts. Some of it's still there.

Wife always said if I wanted a moose bad enough, I know where to get one, but having never been drawn, I'm all done donating $5/try to IF&W. What a racket. I'll stick with deer. Should be a great partridge year out the stud mill road from what I've seen and heard. Broods did well, but there ain't jack for deer down there any more.
What's your personal ammo of choice (for hunting 4 legged creatures)? Got any innawoods scary stories?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Depends on the creature

Moose 220 grain Nosler partition
Deer & bear 165 grain Sierra boat tail
Coyote down through woodchucks 55 grain Sierra SX

No scary stories, just rescues of people who were unprepared.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:53 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
the caterpillar nests are all on the north side of the trees,,,this means a mild fall , no significant snowfall til December or January

Old 08-25-2015, 06:43 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
That's a bummer to hear fiance and I were thinking of moving from CT to ME after becoming nurse's. Bit worried of the snow and remoteness. Do love the outdoors ha have time to think. Have a family member who lives up there, but doesn't stay up in ME during the winter most of the time. Cousin side think he has a family member lives up in Northern area think he loves it.

Last edited by RunD1987; 08-25-2015 at 07:45 PM..

Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
You don't need to equip yourselves like Ice Road Truckers to travel in Maine winters. Ordinary cars are actually used here. It is good to have two sets of tires and wheels for any vehicle. Winter tires are important. There are many threads on this topic. I recommend Firestone Winterforce tires for winter. Blizzak's are also good.

Tread compound is more important than tread patterns.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:30 AM

506 posts, read 683,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The long term trend is that young Mainers leave at the ages of 25 to 30 to provide a better income for their family. Their kids grow up away from Maine, but they come to stay with their grandparents most summers. Then when the family becomes empty nesters Mom says, "Lets go home. Let's get out of this rat race." They pack up and come home at the age of 55. They pay cash for a house because houses in Maine generally cost less than half what a similar home would cost in more prosperous areas. A 2 bedroom on a tiny lot in California can sell for $650,000.

Then at the age of 66 or 67 they realize that it costs $35 to register their vehicle in South Carolina. Their retirement is not taxed and gas is cheap. They pack up again and buy a small place down there where they live for 185 days a year. They come back to Maine, but they can no longer vote here.
Pretty much sums it up......Maine is a great place to grow up and grow old.......in between......not so much.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:26 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Pretty much sums it up......Maine is a great place to grow up and grow old.......in between......not so much.

not so sure,,,

but I do admit when you are 18 yrs old,,,half the friends I knew wanted to "get the hell out of here" not so much maine,,,but there time to get away from family,,,spread their wings,,,
many kids probly have this attitude,,,but maine isn't a destination like florida and other warmer states

do other states offer better pay and more opportunities??

yes,,,im sure some do.... I've had 4 job opportunities that I could have made more money out of state...but I refused all of them.. why??
I like fishing, hunting, atv-ing fresh air, nice people, and little traffic,
and I like the low crime ..... also, more pay doesn't mean more in your pocket,,,,cost of living is higher in the cities

my son is in his 6th yr of college (in maine) and he will have anywhere he wants to go ...at his choosing,, there's part of me that wants him to see experience other places, but also I would like to ee him stay close (what parent wouldn't)

many of his friends are nurses, therapists, and most all have stayed in maine

keep in mind the "kids" today are slammed with much more news today than in any generation before us,,,,and most news is bad news/tragedies/sensationalized....that's the theme ive heard from this younger generation... ,, not so much to spread my wings and "explore the world or new horizons" is that where can they go they wont get shot walking down the street or a safe place to raise a family

yes, maine needs big employers,,, (not the government) we need more manufacturing, development to keep the younger kids here,,,that are not dr's and pharmacists, and nurses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine