Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:30 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times

Advertisements

so according to you and sub, even jacking up prices, 1.5 million for 20 miles square of forest (13k acres) its roughly 1k per acre, that is cchheeaapp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:44 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
so according to you and sub, even jacking up prices, 1.5 million for 20 miles square of forest (13k acres) its roughly 1k per acre, that is cchheeaapp
We bought two parcels of bare land, at two difference prices per acre. Both were less than that.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:17 PM

631 posts, read 748,880 times
^ Exactly what I didn't elaborate upon, that you indirectly answered.

When you get into the pricier territory, typically beachfront property, you find that the property tax rates are actually lower and even in some cases the assessment values are also lower. You will definitely pay more in property taxes, but because most or all of the properties are high income mandated, so much revenue is being generated for that township, the township can afford to lower those rates while still accomplishing all of the typical goals of any other township. Wouldn't be surprised if the excise tax rates were also lower on vehicle property, because in the grand scheme of things, because more expensive cars will still lead to more money than economical cars even if the rates are lower, atypical to people who generally have more money. I would wager that "brokerman" is a reference to being a bank broker and thus those payments are more easily affordable.

You can see this when you look at the seacoast region in New Hampshire where the property tax rate in New Castle for example, is at 0.8% for the total assessed value of the home. In Maine, it can be often 0.5-1.2%.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
... Wouldn't be surprised if the excise tax rates were also lower on vehicle
Vehicle Excise tax is the same through-out the state of Maine.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Vehicle Excise tax is the same through-out the state of Maine.
That is literally impossible, because I tried the excise tax calculators of 4 different townships on my car to experiment and every town was slightly different.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Excise Tax, Property Tax, MRS

Quote:
Excise tax is defined by Maine law as a tax levied annually for the privilege of operating a motor vehicle or camper trailer on the public ways.

WHERE DO I PAY THE EXCISE TAX?
Excise tax is paid at the local town office where the owner of the vehicle resides. When a vehicle needs to be registered, an excise tax is collected prior to the registration.

HOW MUCH IS THE EXCISE TAX?
The amount of tax is determined by two things:

The age of the vehicle
Manufacturer's suggested retail price ("MSRP")
HOW IS THE EXCISE TAX CALCULATED?

Excise tax is calculated by multiplying the MSRP by the mil rate as shown below. The rates drop back on January 1st of each year.

YEAR 1 .0240 mil rate

YEAR 2 .0175 mil rate

YEAR 3 .0135 mil rate

YEAR 4 .0100 mil rate

YEAR 5 .0065 mil rate

YEAR 6 .0040 mil rate

Old 09-06-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it is possible those are the bare minimum values. It COULD be increased slightly per town for additional revenue or add a hike to the MSRP rate for the township specifically.

My car's suggested MSRP value is $30,230 and was made in 2014.

Saco, ME: $582.03

Waterville, ME: $529.03

Medway, ME: $580.03

Ellsworth, ME: $582

I guess the town could also tack on agent fees too.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:09 PM

I pay the Maine state excise rates. I did not realize that some towns might add onto that rate.

I know the state has one property tax mill-rate for each county, and towns add onto that rate as much as they need for their revenue.

I did not know they did it for excise tax also.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:08 AM

426 posts, read 505,881 times
The only city/town excise tax out of whack was Waterville. The others are within a few cents or $2.00. I think the clerk in Waterville looked up something incorrectly, quoted the wrong line etc.

But to the original post, I grew up in NYC, moved to NJ for 25 years and retired in Maine 6 years ago. There isn't a day that doesn't go by, that I thank my lucky stars for Maine. Part is personal- my daughter, SIL and the 2 grandson's live close by and make my daily life full of joy. But, lots of that joy is derived from living in Maine. For instance, garage sales- found "Raphael" - the red teenage mutant ninja turtle, missing from the 4 year old's collection, for fifty cents. Made his day! My mom, who died at age 58, used to have bone china cups and saucers, but over the decades all the cups got broken, chipped etc. Found 4 sets, mint condition, from a lovely woman who said they were from her grandmother- for less than $5.00. Driving to the beach in less than 10 minutes, on Labor day weekend. The flowers, the sunny skies, the gardens, the Owls Head Transportation Museum, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, the Portland Museum of Art, the laid back people, the friendliness, the way we help people, the architecture, the "quintessential Maine" look of so many towns. Thankful for Congresswoman Pingree, Senator King, and sometimes Senator Collins. Very happy how responsive they are, and how often we are on the same page. The water I drink from Sebago Lake (Portland Water district). Did you know that it is one of only 50 water supplies in the nation that does not have to be filtered? (Not the same as untreated). The watershed of 270,000 acres of forest above the lake that make the water so delicious. "These are a few of my fav-or-ite things".

Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM

60 posts, read 81,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
^ Exactly what I didn't elaborate upon, that you indirectly answered.

When you get into the pricier territory, typically beachfront property, you find that the property tax rates are actually lower and even in some cases the assessment values are also lower. You will definitely pay more in property taxes, but because most or all of the properties are high income mandated, so much revenue is being generated for that township, the township can afford to lower those rates while still accomplishing all of the typical goals of any other township. Wouldn't be surprised if the excise tax rates were also lower on vehicle property, because in the grand scheme of things, because more expensive cars will still lead to more money than economical cars even if the rates are lower, atypical to people who generally have more money. I would wager that "brokerman" is a reference to being a bank broker and thus those payments are more easily affordable.

You can see this when you look at the seacoast region in New Hampshire where the property tax rate in New Castle for example, is at 0.8% for the total assessed value of the home. In Maine, it can be often 0.5-1.2%.
Interesting that someone recently moved from a differing state becomes an instant expert and wants to change how things are done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine