Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM

124 posts, read 171,200 times

Advertisements

Are there any gas stations that offer ethanol free gas in the Augusta/Waterville area? I've always ran ethanol free gas in all of my power equipment and would like to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,972,655 times
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Old 09-03-2015, 08:25 PM

37,214 posts, read 60,926,856 times
Generally all airports have Av gas.

My last motorcycle needed to run on it, otherwise the ethanol dissolved the carb gaskets every 2 years.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM

3,668 posts, read 7,353,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydinMaine View Post
I've always ran ethanol free gas in all of my power equipment and would like to continue.

That's an admirable goal but not really necessary. We've all been running E10 gas here in New England since 2003 and there are seldom any problems if you keep the gas fresh and use an appropriate stabilizer when storing the equipment in the off-season.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:25 PM

37,214 posts, read 60,926,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
... We've all been running E10 gas here in New England since 2003 and there are seldom any problems
I jumped on my bike, fired it up and gas sprayed out both sides, soaking both of my pant legs. The gaskets had been dissolved.

But no problems, right?

Just use a little stabilizer and we're good. Is that it?

Do I spray the stabilizer on the flames? Or on the idiot who put ethanol in my gasoline?

Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,551,923 times
I went to use a 5 gallon plastic case can this week and the nozzle fell off because the internal parts that allow the fuel to flow out at a bout a pint a minute had dissolved due to the contaminant, ethanol.

You can buy alcohol free aviation fuel at the dam between Millinocket Lake and Ambajejus Lake on the Golden Road. I bought two new plastic gas cans, snipped the internal flow limiter off and the gas flow freely.

You can buy free flowing nozzles for your old gas cans at places like Home Depot. They are marked for use on water jugs, but they work just fine on my old plastic gas cans. They come with two different collars so they will fit either style of gas cans. Time will tell if ethanol rots these new nozzles.

Gasoline weighs 6.4 pounds per gallon. five gallons is about 32 pounds. With the weight of the can it's nearly 40 pounds that you have to hold while your gas drizzles out at about a pint a minute. That gets old in a hurry. It's dangerous too.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:13 AM

631 posts, read 743,987 times
I have to add some additional brew in the cub cadet mower so it lasts longer, but I could have sworn it said "Ethanol" on the packet, but maybe I'm mistaken?

OT, but relevant: I eventually figured out why people don't go 70-75 on the majority of the I-95 stretch. I drive 120 miles a day back and forth to UMaine and I now cruise along at 55mph because:

1. I don't want to hit a deer or a mouse.
2. My gas mileage increased from 24mpg to 30mpg.
3. I get up early so I don't have to rush.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:32 AM

Ethanol is terrible on engines, especially small engines. Before I switched to ethanol free gas I was rebuilding my carbs on my lawn equipment every year or two. Since switching to ethanol free gas I never have any issues. My riding mower has had ethanol free gas in it since new and I don't want to run ethanol blend if I don't have to.

I have found some of the airports carry it but it's all high octane stuff. High octane gas in small engines can actually harm them so I've been searching for 87 or 89 octane. I figured with all of the lakes around here either marinas or gas stations near the lakes would carry pure gas. No luck though.

Submariner - That is exactly why I want to stick with ethanol free gas. Ethanol is terrible stuff for our engines.

Northern Maine Land Man - I use motorsports racing fuel cans. They are 5 gallons and have an open nozzle that allows free flow. They are better than the standard red gas cans you see at the stores.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,551,923 times
"I use motorsports racing fuel cans. They are 5 gallons and have an open nozzle that allows free flow. They are better than the standard red gas cans you see at the stores."

What color are they and where do you get them?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"I use motorsports racing fuel cans. They are 5 gallons and have an open nozzle that allows free flow. They are better than the standard red gas cans you see at the stores."

What color are they and where do you get them?
You can order them on Amazon. They offer several different colors. I just use the white jugs.

Amazon.com: VP 5 Gallon Square Red Racing Utility Jug With Deluxe Filler Hose: Automotive

You can get them with or without a shutoff valve on the hose.

If you go to VP Racing website you can see they offer them in several different colors which would be handy if you're using them for diesel, kerosene or pre-mix fuels.

VP racing gas cans, VP racing fuel containers

Most motorcycle and ATV dealers carry them also. Some brands have another handle lower on the jug so you can grip with two hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine