U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM

8,760 posts, read 15,113,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Thank you for your input. Nope, we do not prefer to be close to a city (Portland or Bangor). We have visited and stayed in all the smaller towns and villages up and down the coast and toured each peninsula. Pemaquid Lighthouse area is one of our favorites, but not to live in full time all year round. My husband likes the tiny fishing villages such as Harspwellville (if my memory is correct) but we have to compromise, obviously. I myself love Camden and we have stayed there many times (the little belted galloways, the children's chapel.......we've explored it all and Camden reminds me a lot of the town we reside in now in Vermont except for the "water" and harbor. Boothbay Harbor is quaint and a tourist trap to some but still interesting and affordable.......not quiet for sure, except when the tourists leave. As Vermonters for almost 40 years, we like small town living..........but are also thinking of the grandchildren and that perhaps they would prefer to visit us in a beach area....thus the Wells Beach and Yorks.......as we love the Nubble which is a lot more crowded than Pemaquid, for sure. As far as the fishing villages out on the various peninsulas, as we age in place, we really don't want to be driving 19 miles out to route one to shop. That is what I mean by services. Camden does have a hospital as well as Boothbay Harbor. We love Mount Batty in Camden although it is quite tiny compared to our Vermont mountains........... Deciding on a relocation place is a dilemma for sure..........as we have lived twice in Florida. Once for a year when the kids were babies.........and once when they graduated college for 4 months........but we always return to Vermont. Thus, we've decided to stay in NEW ENGLAND. Brunswick is a nice town also. We have stayed in Eastport each time we head to Prince Edward Island, Canada. On the way back we always stay in Boothbay Harbor after Bar Harbor. So, we are familiar with the towns, just can't decide. Camden has the nice library near the harbor.....and is such a pretty tiny little town and yes, that would be my first choice. Thanks again.
Why not just stay in Vermont? It sounds like you like the area and it seems to fit your lifestyle. The ocean is nice to visit and though I only live about 2 miles from it I don't go there all that much. I certainly do not think it would be worth the ungodly amount of money to buy , maintain , and pay tax on a place on the water for the amount of time it's pleasant enough weatherwise to be there. You can count on it hovering around 50F for the early part of the summer even when it is over 70F just 10 to 12 miles inland, that's COLD in the summer.
My family owns a cottage on the water, with a deep water dock, boat house, several deep water moorings,and the whole nine yards. It's really only pleasant enough to be down there for a couple of weeks in July and August. Outside of that it's too cold, foggy or buggy to be enjoyable. I'm sure if it wasn't for the boating access aspect and the fact they have plenty of money to pay the $10,000 a year taxes on the place they would have unloaded it years ago. I would much prefer to be inland on a small pond or river with a little privacy...right forest beekeeper?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 10:20 AM

13 posts, read 24,294 times
Sometimes it would seem easier just to stay in Vermont as you suggested as we have been living here for nearly 40 years, however, we vacation in Maine twice a year and have even explored the Moosehead Lake region. Depending on where we are traveling to in Maine it can take us from as little as 4 or 5 hours to many more to get to our destination. Obviously , we enjoy the ocean views, however, do not expect to live "on the water"......just be a little closer. We were raised in the middle atlantic states and my husband would enjoy boating and fishing again in the Atlantic Ocean, etc. Vermont has a lot less traffic than Maine and is a very scenic and beautiful state, however, a change of scenary is sometimes wished for during retirement. Maine's people are very much like Vermonters. Approximately 15 years ago, our daughter and her husband taught school on North Haven Island, Maine......car ferry to and from Rockland Maine. We had been visiting way before that timeframe...........but the island was a new experience for all of us. They only stayed about 2 years and then moved to Boston.
I do appreciate your cons (to balance out the pros and cons) and yes, it can get cold by the water. It can be 90 degrees in July on the mainland and like a refrigerator out at Cape Newagen on Southport Island........but refreshing. We like the cold. Again, not thinking of waterfront property. Thanks for your input. Maybe we will decide to just stay in Vermont and vacation in Maine. We've even looked at the Schoodic Point area but that is too desolate, although beautiful. By the way, lots of Vermonters dream of moving to Maine and when we are there, Maine people can't wait to visit Vermont. Ironic.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:55 AM

27,193 posts, read 42,328,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Why not just stay in Vermont? It sounds like you like the area and it seems to fit your lifestyle. The ocean is nice to visit and though I only live about 2 miles from it I don't go there all that much. I certainly do not think it would be worth the ungodly amount of money to buy , maintain , and pay tax on a place on the water for the amount of time it's pleasant enough weatherwise to be there. You can count on it hovering around 50F for the early part of the summer even when it is over 70F just 10 to 12 miles inland, that's COLD in the summer. My family owns a cottage on the water, with a deep water dock, boat house, several deep water moorings,and the whole nine yards. It's really only pleasant enough to be down there for a couple of weeks in July and August. Outside of that it's too cold, foggy or buggy to be enjoyable. I'm sure if it wasn't for the boating access aspect and the fact they have plenty of money to pay the $10,000 a year taxes on the place they would have unloaded it years ago. I would much prefer to be inland on a small pond or river with a little privacy...right forest beekeeper?
I agree.

It does sound like a wonderful place to be though [in July and August].

I do like sailboats. I do desire to sail. However in looking at our options and prioritizing things. Sailing had to be put down toward the bottom of the stack. I am simply not made of money.

My parents own a home up in the Sierra Nevadas, They only go up to it on weekends, and to host family BBQs. In the summer it is too hot, in the winter it has too much snow. So it's usefulness is limited. But so long as they can afford it, they are happy with it. Each year the area sees more homes, more folks demand services, and the taxes go up. Each year the brush fires threaten it, and the FDs want more funding.

sigh

Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM

It seems everyone , at some time in their life, would like to be someplace else.
Our son was raised in Vermont, went to college in Vermont and then left for Boulder, Colorado where he's been for the past 15 years (now in Denver). Colorado is very very dry and brown, so even when he comes back east he notices the GREEN and does miss our fall foliage colors...........however, even he says he misses WATER. He's a telemark skiier (out of bounds?), rock climber, mountain biker, hiker, etc. and enjoys the Rockies which are majestic compared to our little Green Mountains........but even though we've driven across the country and back on numerous occasions, we are still drawn to Maine for our retirement years...........fog and all. Being artistic, we both would still be creative during the long cold winters, just as we are in Vermont. Anyone familiar with the "old" nuclear power plant in Wiscasset area??? They are building new condos with marinas in that spot or thereabouts. Can't get a straight answer re the toxins that might be left over......or nuclear stuff. They kind of beat around the bush. Maybe that's why Boothbay Harbor area and vicinity has lower property values?????????? Just wondering. We get the nice big old fashioned Boothbay Harbor Register newspaper and read all the local happenings. Used to get the Camden paper and the Rockland paper, etc..........now just read online. Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Sometimes it would seem easier just to stay in Vermont as you suggested as we have been living here for nearly 40 years, however, we vacation in Maine twice a year and have even explored the Moosehead Lake region. Depending on where we are traveling to in Maine it can take us from as little as 4 or 5 hours to many more to get to our destination. Obviously , we enjoy the ocean views, however, do not expect to live "on the water"......just be a little closer. We were raised in the middle atlantic states and my husband would enjoy boating and fishing again ...
I know that these photos are not ocean, but it is water frontage.

All taken from the same spot, A view looking left, then straight, then to my right.

Would that be close enough?

Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM

It's very pretty and serene looking. Where is the river located? Reminds me a little of River Road which is the alternate road into Boothbay Harbor. Megunticook Lake near Camden is also very serene and kind of empty. Has a perk test been done on the land?
Is it off a main road or a dirt road??? Our daughter is in the process of selling their home in northern Vermont and hoping to build on some acreage they own.........the "site work" can get very expensive nowadays. Originally, they were hoping to build a "green" house off the grid........but are rethinking that also. Anyway, roads, wells, septic, electricity, etc. get expensive........prior to building on land like that. Any other homes in the area? And last but not least, where is it located?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
It's very pretty and serene looking. Where is the river located? Reminds me a little of River Road which is the alternate road into Boothbay Harbor. Megunticook Lake near Camden is also very serene and kind of empty. Has a perk test been done on the land?
Is it off a main road or a dirt road??? Our daughter is in the process of selling their home in northern Vermont and hoping to build on some acreage they own.........the "site work" can get very expensive nowadays. Originally, they were hoping to build a "green" house off the grid........but are rethinking that also. Anyway, roads, wells, septic, electricity, etc. get expensive........prior to building on land like that. Any other homes in the area? And last but not least, where is it located?
This is the Penobscot River. Located just a hair North of Bangor, in the township of Argyle.

My land has a perk test, and I was able to get a building permit for our house. Neighboring properties are currently for sale.

Our road is Rt 116, paved maintained year around and with power / phone / DSL at the pavement. We are 6.5 miles from the I-95 freeway offramp.

Heading out back behind our house you must cross the creek:

Before you get to the river.

And then when you head back:

Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 PM

I think we've been out that way once heading back from Moosehead Lake to Bangor and then Ellsworth to go north to Canada. Nice photos. Do you have lots of groundhogs?
Over the years our groundhog population was taking over our property (hedge hogs).
We trapped a total of 21 groundhogs in a have a heart trap two summers ago as they were getting too close for comfort to the back patio. Finally, we tore out all the back hedges, had all the big boulders excavated...........found their "underground home entrance and exit" and scared them all away. Put on a deck last summer and haven't seen them since. I took digital photos of each and every one; all different. Again, it's a very nice tract of land............enjoy. We are in a residential neighborhood in Vermont, but at times we think it would be nice to be more rural. Your place looks very peaceful. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Ground hogs? No.

Beaver, yes.

Wild turkey, yes.

Deer, moose, bear, and eagle, are not uncommon.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:11 PM

8,760 posts, read 15,113,147 times
Quote:
Can't get a straight answer re the toxins that might be left over......or nuclear stuff. They kind of beat around the bush. .
The spent fuel rods are still being stored on the Wiscassett site. Eventually they will have to be handled and moved by rail to a permanent storage facility in the West if and when the details of such a move can be worked out.
I'm not sure I'd want to live too close to such a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine