Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to the Portland area next year from Pittsburgh. My primary residence will be in Ft Lauderdale. I will be spending 3 to 4 months in ME during warm weather. I am looking for a community where there is a low tax rate. I envision a 2-2 condo with an attached garage. When I lived there 12 years ago, I remember that the Portland taxes were significantly higher than Cape Eliz. and Scarboro. What community has the best tax rates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,252 times
Welcome rgrene.

The tax rate is somewhat irrelevant because a community can have a low mill rate, but the homes could be evaluated much higher than a neighboring community with a higher mill rate, but lower home evaluations. The best thing to do is look at specific properties and see how they fit into your budget - principal, interest, taxes, insurance and condo fees.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
I've read this post over and over trying to understand what "MUNI" means - I gather it's a tax of some kind, but all I can figure out is a Maine University tax of some sort, can't figure out the other two letters. We have property taxes, Personal property taxes, sales tax and some of our cities have user fees to drive and/or work in that city. (Which I refuse to pay, but mensaguy has to pay to work in the city). I thought the word might be municipal, but I've never hear of a municipal tax, unless it's another word for property tax, then why wouldn't they call it property tax. I know some cities have a city tax on top of state tax, property tax and personal property tax, so I'm going around in circles trying to figure it out.

I wish people would spell out what they are asking.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:42 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Muni is short for municipal.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:32 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Huh?

"mensaguy has to pay to work in the city"

How does that work? How is it enforced? Who does he have to pay?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Huh?

"mensaguy has to pay to work in the city"

How does that work? How is it enforced? Who does he have to pay?

Zymer - his employer witholds 2.00 + tax a week as a privilege for working inside the city limits. Every employer has to do that now. The employers then remit the funds to the city, each and every month. So, because he works in the city and drives on their streets, he pays $8. a month, unless there are 5 weeks in the month, like this one for the right to work in the city of Charleston. And what's worse is that the city can double the fee any time they want without any kind of election or input from the people of the city. They have already doubled it once, I hear rumbles of it doubling again by the end of the year. So, that's $96.00 a year plus tax to coming out of his paycheck right now. I hate it, hate it.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:42 PM

That doesn't sound right, to me. I'd be raising some holy hell over that.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Zymer - Yep, the city declared it legal - here, have a read.

Welcome to Charleston WV (http://www.cityofcharleston.org/collector.htm - broken link)

Old 01-29-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Zymer - Yep, the city declared it legal - here, have a read.

Welcome to Charleston WV (http://www.cityofcharleston.org/collector.htm - broken link)
Wow. I would probably be going to jail...

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrene View Post
I am moving back to the Portland area next year from Pittsburgh. My primary residence will be in Ft Lauderdale. I will be spending 3 to 4 months in ME during warm weather. I am looking for a community where there is a low tax rate. I envision a 2-2 condo with an attached garage. When I lived there 12 years ago, I remember that the Portland taxes were significantly higher than Cape Eliz. and Scarboro. What community has the best tax rates?
Every township has it's own different mil rate.

And as was mentioned while one township might have a low mil rate, they might also have high assessed values.

A good starting point though is mil rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine