U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:58 PM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times

Advertisements

We were discussing Maine livestock on another thread, but it may have been Off-Topic so I will start fresh here.

The Tilton's Auction yard near Corinth on Puddle duck road is shut down. They intend to build a new auction yard and have it open in March. Though I was told yesterday that Tilton's will not be opening again. So I do not know.

I did attend Clarks livestock auction near Skowhegan on Rt 104 yesterday.

They sold rabbits, geese, ducks, ...

Chickens went from $5 to $10

Goats went from $30 to $75

A set of five pot-belly pigs went for a buck a piece [one boar and four sows]

Three sows and a boar all of which looked like they had to be 400 pounds each, went for $50 a piece.

They sold thirty drop calves [dairy calves, some were six days old, some were so young that their umbilical cords were still attached and had blood on them] sold at $20 to $40 a piece.

Cows, steers, heifers ranged from $200 to $500.

Clarks Auction appears to have no scale.

It was my first look at Clark's Auction, I had never seen a livestock auction yard as tiny as Clarks before.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 05:19 PM

5,826 posts, read 6,141,889 times
Well, that figures!

Looks like if ya want sumthin, ya gotta do it yourself. There any good auctioneers looking for work between Bangor and Millinocket?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 15,315 times
I grew up down the road from Clark Farm on Rt 104 Now I at least know what happens there! Always seems to be busy when I am driving by.

Thats all I have, no useful info...

new to the board as well!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:07 PM

7,713 posts, read 7,796,031 times
Welcome to the forums rsxbmpn

Old 02-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Well, that figures!

Looks like if ya want sumthin, ya gotta do it yourself. There any good auctioneers looking for work between Bangor and Millinocket?
That would be nice.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:30 PM

2,052 posts, read 2,859,955 times
What ever became of Hemphill's (sp), are they still around?

Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,140,540 times
There is one over on the Horseback Road in Burnham Maine, but I forget the name.

There are many ways to move livestock though, with a lot of auctions taking place at the many summer fairs we have here. They are not an every week sort of deal though. The BIG livestock auction is the Northeast Livestock Auction at the Windsor Fairgrounds in Windsor around the first of May.

But in some ways its all a moot point, because Mainer's tend to sell their livestock directly to dealers. The best dealers have trailers and show up at your farm every week or so and see if they can generate a deal. That is how we move a lot of cows, and acquire them too. Its better that way because we just don't have time to attend auctions...we got a farm to run...let them bring the animals to us. At the same time the quality is better because you have the reputation of the livestock dealer on the line. If you get a bum cow, you can ask the dealer about it the next week. And of course if the cow looks crappy, you can refuse to buy it.

My aunt is a softie and runs what we call a hospital farm, taking in cows that others are sending to auction. She actually makes money by nursing some of these guys back to health. Broken legs do mend and if a good milking cow can be had for slaughter price, you can make money. But such deals would never take place at auctions.

My final word of advice on auctions is pretty much just to skip them if you are selling for profit. Just about every animal headed to auction in the Northeast funnels through the auction hall at New Holland, PA anyway. New Holland sets the price for just about every species of livestock east of the Mississippi so you are better to get a dealer that shows up at the farm and ships your livestock directly there.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
There is one over on the Horseback Road in Burnham Maine, but I forget the name. ...
Could it be 'Houston Brooks' ?
This Weeks Sale Antique Auction House Maine antiques Houston Brooks Auctioneers

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM

10,987 posts, read 10,943,487 times
400lb pig for 50.00???????????? wow,,,what a bargain....thats alot of cheap sausage!!!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
400lb pig for 50.00???????????? wow,,,what a bargain....thats alot of cheap sausage!!!
Oh yes, that includes hooves, oinker and the most annoying part the squeal.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine