Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:42 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Those camp owners didnt actually own anything. They always knew something like this could happen someday and,........ it did. Imagine if we didnt have property rights the issues that we would have to deal with.
That's true. They leased the land. Be that as it may, it was still a crappy thing to do. By doing that, and accusing Mainers of liking welfare, she alienated everyone up there.

Why is she surprised then when everyone fights her tooth and nail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 02:52 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
399083453 imagines:
"Those camp owners didnt actually own anything. They always knew something like this could happen someday and,........ it did. Imagine if we didnt have property rights the issues that we would have to deal with."

Try to sell the people who own million dollar homes on leased land looking across the lakes at Mount Katahdin the idea that they don't own anything. Try explaining that to the Katahdin Federal Credit Union or Katahdin Savings who hold mortgages on those properties.

"Imagine if we didnt have property rights the issues that we would have to deal with."

We don't have to imagine it. People in the Unorganized Territories can't even vote for the people who rule over them. Oh, they can vote for governor, but the people who actually rule over what they can do with the land they own are the LURC board, now renamed as LUPC to confuse people. They just made LURC bigger, stronger and meaner.

The state is driving down property values and it is completely intentional. A nice, neat 2 bedroom home with full basement in Millinocket just sold for about $6,500. There is our future. The town sold 16 homes for a grand total of $48,000 or an average of $3,000 each. A few needed demolishing, but some were nice.

What would such homes sell for in Portland? Why would there be a difference in their prices? Do you suppose that those owners in lower Maine have property rights? Do you think we should have property rights up here?

Old 10-26-2015, 05:18 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,650,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Try to sell the people who own million dollar homes on leased land looking across the lakes at Mount Katahdin the idea that they don't own anything. Try explaining that to the Katahdin Federal Credit Union or Katahdin Savings who hold mortgages on those properties.
Leased land has time limits and surrender clauses. If those banks issued mortgages on houses with 1 year surrender clauses, there is nothing to explain. They understood the contract when they issued the mortgage. Its simple contract law.

Dont get me wrong, I dont like that she did this, but I do support her legal rights to do so.

Last edited by 399083453; 10-26-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 05:27 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Leased land has time limits and surrender clauses. If those banks issued mortgages on houses with 1 year surrender clauses, there is nothing to explain. They understood the contract when they issued the mortgage. Its simple contract law.

yep, The property owner has rights. It is leased land, not owned land.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:59 PM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Quote:

Dont get me wrong, I dont like that she did this, but I do support her legal rights to do so.
It's not quite so simple. Most of the land she owns used to be owned by Webber Timberlands. The Webber family owned thousands of acres in the area. The leases issued by the Webber family were 99 year leases. Webber lands were sold to multiple other owners. Farrar Timberlands, Prentice Carlise, Robin Crawford, and Gardner Timberlands just to name the majority of them. When the land changed ownership, the new owners all changed the leases to one year renewable leases. Probably wasn't legal, but the lease holders didn't have any organization or deep pockets to take the issue to court. I know, because I had one of those leases. Fortunately, I was able to read the tea leaves and sell my camp before all the crap started hitting the fan. Actually, my lease was on land Farrar bought from Webber, and the new owners were able to purchase the lot. Farrar basically financed his land purchase by selling off the camp lots to the owners who previously had leases. Quimby on the other hand had no intension of allowing the leases to continue.
So before we call all the people foolish who would build a camp on a leased lot, there is another side of that coin. Most of those leases were 99 year leases. Too bad someone didn't take the new owners to court when they changed the terms of the lease. Didn't seem legal to me, but no one had any money to find out the answer in court. Once again it was the Golden Rule...those with the Gold make the Rules.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 PM

kellysmith missed the boat on this:
"but the lease holders didn't have any organization or deep pockets to take the issue to court."

Guess you never heard of the Maine Leaseholders Association. They were active for about 20 years and did deflect some of the worst seizures as Great Northern was bought, sold, sliced to pieces and eventually demolished. There is video on line of the smokestacks being dynamited.

https://wabi.tv/2014/11/21/millinock...e-stacks-come/

It is a huge victory for the environmental industry.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The title of the thread is:

Update on push to make Baxter National Park land??

but all the posts deal with the proposal to create a national park from land not currently used for a national or state park; i.e., NOT Baxter State Park.

Soooo, could anyone post a link to any source that talks about making Baxter State Park into a National Park? As far as I can tell, this is a proposal that doesn't exist, but people are responding here as if it does.

Thanks.
So, as far as I can tell, based on no link to any source being provided, the "push" to make Baxter State Park into part of a National Park doesn't exist, except perhaps in the minds of a few, and this thread is just misnamed. Thanks.

In terms of creating a National Park in northern Maine, I just don't see it. My wife and I spent this weekend on MDI, and Acadia is fabulous. What a beautiful park, and what a treasure for everyone to enjoy. But northern Maine, although beautiful, just doesn't have the quantity and quality of natural attractions located in close proximity to one another to justify a National Park. I just don't see a sufficient number of people visiting year after year to be of any help to Maine's economy. Baxter's fine, and I think it's more than sufficient.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:33 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
So, as far as I can tell, based on no link to any source being provided, the "push" to make Baxter State Park into part of a National Park doesn't exist, except perhaps in the minds of a few, and this thread is just misnamed. Thanks.
Yeah, misnamed, but I think most of us knew what was meant.

Quote:
...But northern Maine, although beautiful, just doesn't have the quantity and quality of natural attractions located in close proximity to one another to justify a National Park. I just don't see a sufficient number of people visiting year after year to be of any help to Maine's economy. Baxter's fine, and I think it's more than sufficient.
I'd have to agree. Even if the project was completely funded by the Fed for the park itself, there would still be considerable funds required from the taxpayers in the surrounding areas to build and maintain infrastructure up to the parkland, and insufficient ROI to make it worthwhile.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:37 AM

"Even if the project was completely funded by the Fed for the park itself, there would still be considerable funds required from the taxpayers in the surrounding areas to build and maintain infrastructure up to the parkland, and insufficient ROI to make it worthwhile."

Any time you say "funded by the Fed" it is taxpayer dollars used to take land out of the local tax base. It's a lose/lose situation.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:25 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Any mandate funded by Feds will be unfunded and then local people will have to pay for it forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine