Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,038,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not think it will truly make any difference in anything.

People who do illegal things, will continue to do illegal things.

People who are law abiding will continue to be law abiding.

I know people on both sides of this topic. I enjoy living in a state that is more pro-gun than Texas is, and has always been more pro-gun than Texas.
It's the same as Vermont, the world has mot ended in Maine or Vermont because of the laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,095,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I enjoy living in a state that is more pro-gun than Texas is, and has always been more pro-gun than Texas.
There is somewhat of a reason for that. Like Texas, there are parts of Maine where there is no law enforcement; its the wild wild west, for both big nasty critters and big nasty humans. Its not that there aren't any cops. Its just that they are spread so thin that getting one to arrive in your area may take a couple of of hours.

Where I live in Maine, calling 911 will have cops on my back door step in about 4-8 minutes.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:08 AM

65 posts, read 98,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
There is somewhat of a reason for that. Like Texas, there are parts of Maine where there is no law enforcement; its the wild wild west, for both big nasty critters and big nasty humans. Its not that there aren't any cops. Its just that they are spread so thin that getting one to arrive in your area may take a couple of of hours.

Where I live in Maine, calling 911 will have cops on my back door step in about 4-8 minutes.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away..

Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM

334 posts, read 425,340 times
Well, Congratulations, Maine. You done good.

So, some ******* said that this new law was what the school shooters were waiting for? How ignorant does one have to be to be called a liberal?

A bad guy, before or after this new law was passed, never gave a wit about ANY laws, period. Mr. Liberal he bought the gun illegally because he was a prohibited person. That's against the law. Maybe he stole it or if he didn't steal it it probably has the serial number rubbed off and that's against the law. He didn't open carry it as required but He concealed carried all the time before the law was even thought of and that's illegal, too. He knew he breaking all those laws then and didn't care. Then he decids to go on the attack. He broke the law that prohibits guns on school properly. Did he worry about breaking the law and committing murder? Mr. Liberal, laws are like lock on your front door. They keep honest people honest.

Just how hard is it for some people to so difficult to understand that bad guys will do anything they want because they are bad guys. There are well over 11,000 laws on the books both local, state, and federal to control firearms. 11,000+!! Is one more stinkin law going to be the one where the bad guy will stop and think before he acts? Ask the liberal that one question. Passing laws that attempt to stop bad guy behavior is like believing that peeing in the ocean will raise the water levels around the world. Pass another 11,000 laws and they won't care. All that you'll accomplish is to make law abiding citizens accidental felons when they don't know or understand some convoluted law. A good guy with a concealed handgun may be a Godsend to someone. Just open any of the NRA mag and read the dozen or so daily stories that prove good guys with handguns do stop crime day in and day out.

I know! Let's OUTRIGHT BAN ALL GUNS! That'll do it, right? Ya think a bad guy will follow that law? Answer me truthfully so I can judge just how lacking your logic is.

Maine has seen the light. They've joined states like Alaska and Vermont (! right?) in give back to their citizens their rights under our constitution. As far as I'm concerned before one more stupid, ineffective law gets passed limited the 2A, there better be two dozen laws that restrict the 1A because more people are affected by lying bastards who claim to be our representatives than any good guy with a handgun.

Whew. Rant off. I just don't understand why anti-gun liberals can't fathom what's right in front of their eyeballs.

Rome

Old 10-16-2015, 11:58 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,095,619 times
Cuffler,

Have you had any chance to shoot any "bad guys"? Do you know what will happen to you if you do, and you aren't law enforcement? Even if its judged to be real self-defense and not cowboy-ism(and the laws for what is real self defense are pretty clear and defined, and the word SELF is prominent), you will still be liable for serious and expensive civil lawsuits.

I'm 66 years old. I have never found myself in a situation where I would need a gun for self defense, because I don't go into those places. Not to say it couldn't happen, but if I'm walking in a street and somebody sticks a large knife in my back and asks for my money, I'm not going to be reaching for my gun.

Or if I'm in a bank that is being robbed by a team with assault rifles, I'm not likely to take out my revolver and try to shoot one of them.

Actually my brother in law was actually killed in his own home because he had a weapon. He came out of the bedroom with a loaded shotgun to confront an armed burglar. The burglar shot him through the head as a reflex when he saw the gun. If he had not had a weapon, its unlikely the burglar who was armed and masked with gloves on, would have shot him dead.

When I lived in another state I actually had a concealed carry permit. But in may case it was just easier to transport the handguns(a 357 mag and a 22LR) when I didn't have to widely separate the ammunition and the guns with locks everywhere, so I'm not some flaming liberal in regards to the issue.

But your wild rhetoric doesn't make me comfortable for you carrying a concealed weapon since I'm not sure whether you understand all the possible consequences for using it.

S

Last edited by slyfox2; 10-16-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2015, 12:18 PM

334 posts, read 425,340 times
I would rather have the choice as to what my actions might be in a particular situation rather than have no choice than to be a victim at the hands of some person bent on my demise or some other innocent persons demise. I'm not law enforcement but a citizen who is properly trained with firearms. I'm also an certified instructor in both rifle and pistol.

Deciding to carry is NOT an easy decision. It is a serious one and is a personal decision.

I'm fully aware of the consequences. My mom was retired ATF my mother-in-law retired LT in the local PD.

The question I have for you is how would you feel if you watched someone else be harmed right in front of you. The vast majority of people don't give this one second of thought because we all suffer from the "normalcy bias". This kind of thing doesn't happen to me or here, only elsewhere. God forbid that I ever have to make that decision but it is one I can make with some confidence and I can live with that should it be necessary.......which I truly hope it won't.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Cuffler,

Have you had any chance to shoot any "bad guys"? Do you know what will happen to you if you do, and you aren't law enforcement? Even if its judged to be real self-defense and not cowboy-ism(and the laws for what is real self defense are pretty clear and defined, and the word SELF is prominent), you will still be liable for serious and expensive civil lawsuits.

I'm 66 years old. I have never found myself in a situation where I would need a gun for self defense, because I don't go into those places. Not to say it couldn't happen, but if I'm walking in a street and somebody sticks a large knife in my back and asks for my money, I'm not going to be reaching for my gun.

Or if I'm in a bank that is being robbed by a team with assault rifles, I'm not likely to take out my revolver and try to shoot one of them.

Actually my brother in law was actually killed in his own home because he had a weapon. He came out of the bedroom with a loaded shotgun to confront an armed burglar. The burglar shot him through the head as a reflex when he saw the gun. If he had not had a weapon, its unlikely the burglar who was armed and masked with gloves on, would have shot him dead.

When I lived in another state I actually had a concealed carry permit. But in may case it was just easier to transport the handguns(a 357 mag and a 22LR) when I didn't have to widely separate the ammunition and the guns with locks everywhere, so I'm not some flaming liberal in regards to the issue.

But your wild rhetoric doesn't make me comfortable for you carrying a concealed weapon since I'm not sure whether you understand all the possible consequences for using it.

S
My cousin was murdered in his own home by someone with a baseball bat because he didn't have a gun. If he had a gun, he would probably be alive today.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:41 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,567,552 times
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Simple as that.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Simple as that.
Exactly..

Old 10-16-2015, 02:58 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,188,266 times
I'm all for the 2nd Am., as well as the 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th and 14th (and others). Should be interesting when this all unfolds and the nummahs now packing their manhood under their armpit because of all the publicity are confronted by the police. Who shoots who? Who "protects" the others in Denny's when an apparent robbery is going on and two or three guys draw down simultaneously? I've made it 60 years here in Maine without having to carry a gun, but now my concern is the morons who can legally run around packing heat, without a permit that might've found they're nutbags, because it makes them feel tough. So I'll carry, I guess. Center of mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine