Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:53 AM

4 posts, read 20,326 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for apartment/house rentals, I would suggest you contact Vallee Real Estate 207-622-2220. They're right in the heart of Hallowell and they have quite a few listings.

You will find Hallowell to be a very gay-friendly town. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 01:48 AM

9 posts, read 42,397 times
Smile Hi

My name is Firespirit ( Linda), I lived near Augusta, Maine with my life partner for a year in a cabin in the woods, we were building it from the ground up, just us two lesbians, we are ages 50 and 57 years of age, Augusta is pretty borning and I didn't find the people very friendly at all and all the stores close up between 7:00-8:00 pm. You still have to watch out in different parts of maine, we ended up moving back to Poland, Maine. Last July we had a hate crime done to us by kids and a neighbor's kid who were suppose to be our friends who we fed and bought presents for on Christmas. They destroyed our home and stole everything we owned and trashed the rest, we lost everything. Now we are waiting to sue after the trials are over, the first kid got off, one kid left to go and 2 didn't get arrested at all, they stole my wife's father's ashes and totaled my car too, insurance didn't cover a thing hardly and what they did cover it was very little. They did over $50,000.00 worth of damage and the courts let them off without paying a dime. Please be very careful where you pick to live, people can be cruel and kids too. Portland, Maine is a place where gays can be gays, but no matter where you go you have to watch your back, we are still watching ours. We moved to Medway, maine now and found a quite place where there are a few gays and no one bothers us at all, but when the time comes we will buy a home on the lake in the woods where we can live the way we want to without other people trying to run other people's lives, there is alot of nice people out there, just be careful sisters and good luck where ever you go. Keri and I stick together and we don't trust people much anymore. Like I said we will be selling in a year or two and moving where it is safe. If you like check out the web site my son did when the hate crime was committed, www.unlockablebox.com (broken link). We never harmed a soul in our lives so this goes to show you no matter where you live gays are never safe, stick with each other and find other gays around and you'll be fine, don't want to scare you, just trying to protect you and watch your backs. Stay safe sisters if you are ever up this way please feel free to come and visit us. You have my e-mail address.. your welcome in our home... Linda and Keri

Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,853,847 times
OMGosh Linda, that is just horrible! I'm so sorry that you had that experience. Unfortunately there are ignorant people in every town. But really, I know so many gay couples and my DH & I are proud to call them friends. None of them have run into any problems in recent years as I think more and more "straight" people (I really hate labels) realize that their new neighbors are just super nice people who happen to be a same-sex couple.

It stinks that you weren't able to collect from the low-lifes who destroyed your home. That isn't right. Hopefully your civil suits will be more successful. I wish you all the best in your search for a lake front retreat to call home.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:44 PM

406 posts, read 1,649,506 times
We've been staying in Farmingdale while waiting to close on our house in Readfield. I've been to Hallowell several times and have seen lots of equality stickers and rainbow stickers around...Vallee Real Estate has an equality sticker on their door...

I was saddened to read the account of the hate crime. My heart goes out to you women. Best wishes to you and I hope you find the peace you're looking for.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,038 times
Hello I think you are safe to move to that area, I live in bath with my partner and have no problems, Augusta seems to be the safest bet. I am also a morgage broker so contact me if i can help Mark

Old 08-07-2009, 12:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,048 times
Red face Thinking of relocating...

Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if someone could help us out here. I am a mortician and my husband is in retail management. We are thinking of moving to the Portland area soon. We don't know anything about the area and would like to find a nice apartment in the downtown area but still want to be in a gay neighborhood. Where should we begin looking? We are going to fly up in the next month or so to at least start looking around.
If we could get some input that would be great!

Thanks to any help in advance.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:34 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,431,212 times
Welcome. You'll find Hallowell to be one of the most gay friendly and gay populated areas in the state. It's a nice little recently revived town that also has a little funky/ artsy feel to it. The town has a couple really cool little restaurants with great food and tons of little antique shops and boutiques. There's also a nice little park area right on the Kennebec that is a nice place to sit and relax. I think the bike/ walking path runs all the way from Hallowell to Gardiner too, right along the river. Come check it out!

Oops, just realized you were looking to be somewhere around Portland. Hallowell would be close to a 45 minute - to an hour ride to Portland. There are a lot of retails areas in Augusta, with all of the new big box stores in there. Augusta is only 10 minutes from Hallowell.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,490,982 times
Firespirit, I'm so sorry that you had to be subjected to such hate. My hope for you and your dw is that you find peace and happiness where you settle next.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,573,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Firespirit, I'm so sorry that you had to be subjected to such hate. My hope for you and your dw is that you find peace and happiness where you settle next.
I too share in the disgust people feel toward your attackers. I do hope you win a Civil suit against them.
All that aside I like Hallowell. It's a nice friendly town with some funky antique shops and nice restaurants. The town has a nice feeling of old and new intertwined. It is a relaxing little town. I stop there often as we go through Hallowell on the way to our Saab dealer every couple of months. The Liberal Cup is a nice place to stop and have a beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine