Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 57,137 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple in our 40's and considering a move to Hallowell/Augusta area. We are both in the health care field so jobs shouldn't be too hard to find, just wanting to be able to live in a somewhat country/rural area where people are at least respectful of our relationship. We are way over in eastern WA now for another year, but trying to get a head start on our future move. I like the northwest and my partner's family is in Florida, so half the distance if we move to Maine and I would still have my four seasons.

Any opinions on this?

Oh, we really stick to ourselves for the most part, meaning we don't need clubbing and nightlife, just friendly, non-homophobic faces in a small town (I know, hard to find...).

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 11:18 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,414 times
Very gay friendly town or atleast it used to be.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:30 AM

Default Thanks :)

So, honestly what are the winters like? Is it reasonable to work in Augusta and live in Hallowell? Like I mentioned, I really enjoy the four seasons and my partner is finding out she does as well but not rain all winter like we had when we lived in Seattle. Does the snow stay for a bit !?

Thanks so much for all the info. It really helps.

Hope everyone has a safe, happy, weekend!

Cheryl

Old 11-18-2006, 01:34 PM

Typical winter Dec to mid March It can get very cold -20 below 0 is not uncommon but last winter I dont know if it even got below 0 and we hardly had any snow to speak of.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Hallowell area classifieds for apt. rentals?

Can anyone direct me to the best resource for Hallowell area apartment rentals? I've checked a couple online newspapers but no luck finding any rentals in Hallowell.

Thanks in advance!
Cheryl

Old 11-19-2006, 10:49 AM

Kennebec journal is the local paper It also covers Augusta

Old 11-26-2006, 09:13 PM

5 posts, read 30,420 times
I think you'll find Hallowell very tolerant, overall. I know of several folks in that area that have no problem at all. Hallowell has a lot of historic district places that are expensive to buy and higher taxes. Augusta will be higher taxes as well, of course.

If you're in healthcare like RN or some certified level, you will have little trouble finding a job. The job listings are PACKED with healthcare jobs right now. Your best bet for job listings is jobsinme.com. Also mainetoday.com is another good bet for job listings.

Craigslist in Manie is picking up, but it's still not that great. Not that many people here know about it yet. maine.craigslist.org .

Modern conveniences are available in close proximity to the cities, Augusta, Waterville, etc. DSL or Cable internet. In those places where cable doesn't reach, lots of folks have DirecTV or Dish. Things are not as backward here as most people think.

The bad part of things here is the distance one must usually go for cultural events and night life.Hallowell and Waterville are blessed with wonderful restaurants. Some nightlife is available in the area, but people who love the nightlife prefer Portland. Being in Maine, you get used to driving for lots of things. Augusta is really picking up for all the stores and shopping they have. They keep adding on up by the Civic Center. Lots of chain stores and restaurants up there, but Augusta is poised for a revival if the parking garage happens as has been approved.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 30,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgirlz View Post
So, honestly what are the winters like? Is it reasonable to work in Augusta and live in Hallowell? Like I mentioned, I really enjoy the four seasons and my partner is finding out she does as well but not rain all winter like we had when we lived in Seattle. Does the snow stay for a bit !?

It would be reasonable to live in Hallowell and work in Augusta. The biggest problem would be the hill of Hallowell. It's a big frikkin hill. It can really take some effort to drive up it in the bad storms. The towns are pretty good about things though and keep the roads plowed well enough and generally well salted at intersections. I don't know how long the snow sticks to the hill in Hallowell, but it does get morning sun on that side - so that should help with melt.

To get from Hallowell to most of the healthcare locations in Augusta, youl'l have to get across the river, which will be easy since the redecking of the 'tall' bridge. Also a new bridge to the North of Augusta connecting Route 3 to Route 95 has helped pull a lot of cars out of the Augusta roadways, easing some of the commute congestion. But still, it's Maine, rush hour still isn't that bad. You will be driving right through the government section of Augusta to get across the river unless you drive down to Gardiner and cross over there, then take the River road up.

If you're not used to driving in snow, you'll want to practice. Perhaps have one regular car, one AWD or 4WD for the winters - especially if you're up on the hill. But definately practice please. Get into a nice big parking lot and slide around. We do get snowed on pretty good and while it doesn't usually close things down, it can make a mess for a day or so.

Again, hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Thanks to all! Very helpful tips. I found some online images of that bridge we will be crossing if we move there and it looks fine. We live in eastern WA now, so we (well, I am) are pretty much used to driving in the snow now. Sure appreciate the advice though. The empty parking lot thing especially! We will just keep plugging away at school and more than likely head to Maine when we are finished. Looks like a very beautiful state and nice people to boot. Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM

6 posts, read 33,748 times
Yes, Hallowell is VERY gay friendly.
Maine in general isn't known to be overtly 'warm' or 'welcoming' to those from away -- people stay to themselves pretty much, and though many are truly social and nice people, they do tend to 'guard' their circles of friends... overall, I'd say Hallowell has one of the most cohesive communities which is comprised of a large percentage of openly gay people -- nobody bats an eye! You'll love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine