Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Perfect house: 5 acres of land, orchard, rural environment, open fields, affordable properties for sale

Old 02-03-2008, 12:21 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times

Advertisements

I have a serious question I'm hoping some of you might be willing to help me with.

While waiting impatiently for mud season (aka "spring" ;->), I'm starting to admit to myself, with great sadness, that I don't think I want to settle permanently in the part of midcoast Maine where my job is. The areas within commuting distance are either a) too expensive for the average person or b) don't have the open rural farming or mountain views I love.

My perfect house would have at least 5 acres of land around it, some woods OK, but mostly open, with orchard/gardens being the crowning touch --- and with similar homes throughout the area. Nothing in life is perfect, however, so I'm willing to settle for a reasonable facsimile of the above: smaller lot, a bigger proportion of woods, a less rural environment, so long as the atmosphere is what I'm looking for. Views of some kind: hills, open fields, or water, are essential.

There are some things I won't accept, like living on a main road . Traffic whizzes by my current rental at about 55-60 mph where the speed limit of 45 is already too high, with trucks banging and roaring around the curves and motorcycles belching smoke and splitting eardrums all summer long. This part of Maine has become so developed, there are few back-country roads. There are nearly no affordable properties for sale (for what I'm looking for) that are on roads that aren't just a highway to somewhere else, or in a subdivision.

I've been searching for something fitting this loose description for almost 2 years already. To date, I haven't found anything that's affordable. Only one property came close, but it was a cheaply flipped ranch priced at $270,000 with no garage and situated at the corner of a main road, in a town with high property taxes.

There are other areas of Maine with an abundance of beautiful rural homes; unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate many - or any - jobs fitting my career skills in those areas. There's also retirement years ahead to think of. I'm nervous about being "house poor". I'm wondering, should I be looking a little farther south or southwest? Is it still possible to find nice rural properties within commuting distance of say, Portland?

The sad alternative I'm considering is to look for a home outside Maine, in less ideal surroundings but with more going on culturally, somewhere in the northern half of the U.S. (or overseas! Yep, thinking about going back over the pond again, as that's a viable option due to pension funds earned over there).

Forward-thinking 'green' places such as Portland OR , or interesting areas like Seattle are coming to mind. I'd rather not move anywhere that has extreme weather conditions, but I'm open to ideas/suggestions. Not keen on very dry climates.

This is really tough for me because I've literally spent years trying to get back to Maine, and have finally succeeded - only to discover I've landed in the spot that isn't the "real Maine" for me (referring to the recent thread ) Time marches on, as they say, so I have to make sure my next move is the right one, with no regrets afterwards.

All thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 12:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
Good post boom. I work with buyers who get frustrated over what they are willing to pay vs. what homes are priced at. I also tell sellers to plan on discounting heavily for living on a main road, or having poor curb appeal and clutter/odors in the house. Only you know what you are willing to spend and if you can't find it where you're looking, you need to look somewhere else or lower your wants/needs or both. If that doesn't work, continue to rent and look for those diamonds in the rough that come along when you're least expecting it. Whatever you do, when you buy - don't plan on selling for 5+ years or you will get hurt.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
Good post boom. I work with buyers who get frustrated over what they are willing to pay vs. what homes are priced at. I also tell sellers to plan on discounting heavily for living on a main road, or having poor curb appeal and clutter/odors in the house. Only you know what you are willing to spend and if you can't find it where you're looking, you need to look somewhere else or lower your wants/needs or both. If that doesn't work, continue to rent and look for those diamonds in the rough that come along when you're least expecting it. Whatever you do, when you buy - don't plan on selling for 5+ years or you will get hurt.
Thanks very much for your thoughts, WhoFanMe. Yes, I'm definitely concerned about the current market - there's a very good chance of buying now, then watching values fall for some years to come. Of course, that won't matter if I'm sitting snug on a property I adore (and can afford).

I felt a bit better after going out to lunch today. Sat behind a couple locals going at the current political situation hammer and tongs; couldn't help but overhear (trust me on this) and it was both insightful and entertaining. Reminded me why I love living in Maine. I won't repeat the conversation here - you never know who's online with you- but the humor just slayed me.

Then I took a drive around my favorite roads again, trying to map the areas carefully in my mind so that if anything new comes up there in my price range, I'll know to jump on it.

I guess the key to success this time might be the patience to wait for the market to go my way....

Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
I wonder what you mean when you say a "reasonable commuting distance".

I know many Mainers who drive more than fifty miles each way, every day to work. They live where their home is, and drive to work where work is. Some work further afield than that, too. Driving distance is a price that many pay to live here, yet go and work where they can.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
I wonder what you mean when you say a "reasonable commuting distance".
I know many Mainers who drive more than fifty miles each way, every day to work. They live where their home is, and drive to work where work is. Some work further afield than that, too. Driving distance is a price that many pay to live here, yet go and work where they can.
Thanks for asking, Acadianlion.
One of my jobs in Maine (awhile back) was a 25 minute commute. That was ideal.
Currently, and for a number of years already, I've been doing 500 miles a week.
I don't mind the time and driving per se, but it's tough on the car and the pocketbook.
I'm hoping to get back to a 30 minute commute; or let's say, no more than 30 miles out.
I'd rather channel the commuting money into the house or savings.

Last edited by Boomerang; 02-04-2008 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,230,916 times
How about Standish or Hollis?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Wow, that is a big commute- I can see how it is growing wearisome.

Try something new- what the heck- life is short! You are in an enviable position in that you are not burdened with a home that must be sold before you can try out a new adventure. Best of luck!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:03 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Thanks for asking, Acadianlion.
One of my jobs in Maine (awhile back) was a 25 minute commute. That was ideal.
I don't mind the time and driving per se, but it's tough on the car and the pocketbook.
I'm hoping to get back to a 30 minute commute; or let's say, no more than 30 miles out.
I'd rather channel the commuting money into the house or savings.

Well, that's a hundred miles a day in a five day week. Not bad, and not so different from a lot of Mainers who live on inexpensive land but need to travel distance to work.

Now, having said that, it is one thing to do 500 miles per week with gasoline at 1.75 per gallon, and something else with it at $4 or more a gallon, which is probably coming along with fuel oil prices almost as high.

Over the past few years I have seriously considered leaving Maine myself. Instead, we have decided to move away from this land that has been in my family for more than a century, and live more frugally. In our case the final cost forcing a decision has been property taxes, but even so, if I were twenty five years younger, I think I would be seriously looking at employment out of state, and perhaps out of the country.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:40 AM

26 posts, read 57,471 times
Default Costs of Commuting

I had a tenant recently tell me he was moving to save money on rent. His new place would allow him to save two hundred dollars a month.
The interesting thing to me was, he would be living an additional thirty miles away.
So here is what I look at:

60 miles per day
20 work days a month
30 mpg to keep it simple
$3.00/gal again for simplicity

New auto expense = $120

Then you get to wear and tear on the vehicle
And add in let's say 45 minutes commute time each way (30 hours a month driving )

It appears to me although his immediate cash flow may have appeared to have benefited, his potential net gain was actually a long term loss.

I point this out because many of us face the never ending rise in property taxes. If that thirty hours a month were spent winnowing the local bureaucrats off the dole of the taxpayer, it would certainly be of much more overall benefit. They have this notion that there is an open ended check book. If the keep asking, sooner or later they get the money. If we can teach elementary children to "Just say NO", why is it so hard for the taxpayer to figure out?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments! I do appreciate it.

- Thanks Mainer61, on Standish/Hollis: a definite possibility from the Portland area. I'm not crazy about the commute down Route #25/#114 as the traffic's gotten worse, but there are other options and it's pretty countryside out that way Thanks for prodding my memory in that direction.

- Hi Moughie, yes, I'm still dancing a *** that my house is sold and I'm only renting now. *phew*! Big relief! Weird thing is, I was doing 500 miles/week when I lived out of state, and now that I'm back up here, my commute is still 500/week. It's like I'm living the Groundhog Day movie - some things change, some things stayed the same

- AcadianLion, I'm so sorry that you are leaving your family's land. What a terrible decision to have to make! But I understand why. I hope you were able to let your land go to someone else in the family, or somebody else you know, at least?

When I started commuting long distances, gas prices were in a huge downturn, fluctuating between $1-$1.30/gallon. I couldn't afford to buy closer to work, but I could afford the gas. Now that everything is expensive, which do we choose: the rock, or the hard place?

I moved out of state and then out of the country for career and personal reasons. Financially it was a great move, personally it was also great to see and experience other places I never would have otherwise, and meet all kinds of nice people; I'd recommend it to anyone. It's just a little tougher to move back after being away for some time. Things and prospects change while you're gone.

- I entirely agree with sitting down with a calculator to help make such decisions, QuinnsBestDad. Running the numbers really helps. With cars there are so many factors: mpg, maintenance, repairs, insurance, expected lifespan, etc. On the plus side, during all those hours of commuting, you do get a lot of time to listen to music and news on the radio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine