Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:56 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times

Advertisements

I have to ask, its come up many times throughout my year on this forum, and ive been watching tv on crazy people out west who hunt for meat and trap for their maine income source (making i think they said 15-20k). I realize its reality tv and probally fake, but its got me wondering, whats the possiblity of this being attainable up in maine?

ok so here it goes... Legally speaking, how hard would it be to hunt for all of your meat intake up in northern maine? Or atleast enough for wild game to cover the larger portion of your intake. My quess from my research would be probally not possible by a legal standpoint.

And for trapping, how much could one make up there with the seasons (never trapped, dont even know the fur prices), not even sure on whats a "good" season.

Lets see how this takes off, ive become curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 08:28 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
The success rate for moose is around 75%. You get a lot of meat from a moose, but there are only around 1,500 permits issued. Success with deer is low. This year there are a whole lot of snow white snowshoe hare running around on bare ground. They are pretty easy to spot. There is not much meat on a partridge, but they are very good. Turkeys are still quite new in Maine. They are a nuisance to farmers. It is illegal, but in a survival situation they would be easy to take with a rifle.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:50 PM

I know illegally its easy, but thats poaching and stealing, which is wrong. I perfer to focus on the legal ability here. If one could get a moose tag its easy, but im not counting moose, to hard to determine when yoy get one.

Old 12-23-2015, 04:57 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I had an excellent year hunting in 2014. Turkey, bear, deer and partridge went into the freezer. This year? Partridge. I passed on four bears and couldn't catch up to bucks I saw on opening and closing days. I raise, barter and buy meat locally because hunting is unreliable. I know a lot of trappers but none who make a living trapping. They're trapping for conservation and a few extra dollars if they have a good year. IF&W threw a lot of trappers under the bus over lynx.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:38 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,079 times
Tagged a nine pointer opening day and my buddy got a crotchhorn. I believe my youngest son thought "hell, this is going to be easy" after we dropped two that morning. He never saw another buck. Hunting can be reliable if you know what you're doing. Never got a moose tag, but watched friends and neighbors whole families get them year after year. That whole system is bull, and I've stopped "donating" to it. As to turkeyrats, five will drop when I slap the 32" barrel on the Browning with 3" mags out the back window. Hundreds are shot a year and thrown on the trash pile. With the advent of silage pits versus silos for storage, dairy and beef farmers kill them constantly. Once a flock of turkeys gets into silage and crap all over it, it can't be fed to the bovines. Turkeys were a bad idea, and as much as I'm into hunting, I've never had the urge other than to drop them and toss them into the woods. I saw my first one on top of Dixmont Mountain in the late 1970's when IF&W was putting little flocks here and there. It is simply a revenue generator for the Dept. They compete with deer for the same foods.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:09 PM

as to being unreliable, it can be if your not going for straight out food. And being this fictionous disccussion i would take it as you are a master hunter, and can get a really good success rate each season due to sheer skill and knowing that if they dont take anyhome, they very well may starve.

I also assume if you were to eat the animals you trapped (after selling fur) you could get even more meat, a beaver weighs what, 50ish pounds, not sure how much of that is fat, and what is actually good protein, but i think that could add some meat.

The average person eats what, 300 odd lbs of meat total a year, so lets assume your yearly goal would be 150-200+ lbs of meat, enough to take out a massive chunk of your food bill.

Old 12-23-2015, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I know a lot of trappers but none who make a living trapping.
I assumed regarding trapping this would be the case, it seems to survive comfortably up in maine one would need 30ishk on a normal lifestyle, these crazy people lifestyle where one can ditch radio, electronics, gas, internet, heating costs, ect, would probally need 15-20k a year i assume, or about the same as a min wage, or slightly higher than min wage job.

now with a job, many of those things ole'nutjob can ditch would be needed, due to lack of time to hunt for meat as vigerously, more gas for commuting, may or may not have time to get wood for a woodfuled home, ect.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:07 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I do not know how time spent on trap-lines compares to pelts. Though I do know a few guys who run trap-lines every season.

I let them trap on my land.

First beaver, then bobcat / coyote.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I do not know how time spent on trap-lines compares to pelts
not sure where this comes in, please post with the quote suggesting this?

overall i would think more than enough time would be bad, scare off all the critters, but if you spend more time you can check more traps, which gives higher chances.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:17 AM

4,566 posts, read 10,655,631 times
I doubt someone who makes 15k a year and hunts/traps for a living, is going to be hanging out on the internet in this forum.

City folks forget....... there is no internet in the woods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: