U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2016, 02:02 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,186,074 times

Advertisements

Take a look at this as just issued by Aroostook County Sheriffs office.
https://www.facebook.com/Aroostook.C...type=3&theater
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 02:37 PM

810 posts, read 781,577 times
I am constantly getting phone calls and the ID is usually not local. I never answer the phone unless I know who it is. I have all my important numbers stored so it will show on the caller ID.

A few weeks ago i had one from St John's New Brunswick. I have long distance for free but not international :-)

Old 03-01-2016, 06:46 PM

3,925 posts, read 3,770,322 times
I received one asking me if I was going to the Maine democratic Caucus. Then they said they would send me a ballot. But the person who was calling me claimed they were in Ellsworth but their calling place was Wilton. But they didn't send me a ballot, they sent me a piece of paper to apply for a ballot that required a whole lot of information that they don't need to know, and I shouldn't be sharing with someone I don't know. And when it didn't come back, they called again to ask why I didn't send it back to them. That call also came from Wilton, ME, not Ellsworth or Bar Harbor.

We decided not to send it in to them. Apparently ballots need to be in by another time than they said.

Earlier we got the IRS scam where they were going to send us to jail unless we sent them $200 to pay for some problem with our return. They didn't know our name. Fortunately I know that the IRS starts with a registered letter, and then sends the cops. They never call on the phone---ever, and they never send an email.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:00 AM

7,021 posts, read 8,470,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Earlier we got the IRS scam where they were going to send us to jail unless we sent them $200 to pay for some problem with our return. They didn't know our name. Fortunately I know that the IRS starts with a registered letter, and then sends the cops. They never call on the phone---ever, and they never send an email.
As a veteran of a battle with the Infernal Revenooers that lasted for more than a decade, I can say with some confidence that the average person doesn't need to worry about them sending cops either. I won't state that they never would, but they certainly didn't with me. They'll harass the crap out of you, send you nasty letters telling you you owe massive amounts of fines and penalties, rob your bank accounts if they can find them, attach your paychecks and leave you with nothing to live on, but cops aren't likely unless you are approaching the level of Al Capone (slight exaggeration?).

Old 03-02-2016, 12:23 PM

3,925 posts, read 3,770,322 times
Aren't you the Al Capone of West Bangor? Be proud of it! My grandfather was a bootlegger. By the time my father told the family secret, it was no longer scary, it was exciting to have a grandfather who was a bootlegger. I went to high school with Barbara Blakely who was the sexy Moll in one of the Capone Movies. If I'd only known that that would be her 10 years later, I would have paid a lot more attention to her when she sat next to me in 10th grade biology class for a whole year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine