Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,337 times

Advertisements

In mid January, when the weather is dicey and the days are short, we start planning our trip to Eastport.

This year we are taking a truck with a lot of our furniture from here for a couple of reasons. One is that we will be spending the next year and a half fixing this house up to sell and all the HGTV shows say that minimal furniture and possessions should be used to show a house and Two, we can't predict what the gas prices will be when it's time to move so we are hoping to just have a small 10 ft truck for the final move.

We call around the truck rental places and get quotes. This year the best deal is with Penske and the only drop off in Maine is in Topsham, which means it'll take more gas to get it back down to Midcoast to turn it in. Then we calculate how much gas we'll use for the truck and our Toyota Matrix, cost of the rental truck, tolls, motel and food for one night and factor in a hundred extra dollars for any problems we encounter.

So, this year we calculate we will need $1,200 to do everything to get to Eastport. So, we start selling stuff around the house that we would be putting in a moving sale anyway, on eBay. It's a great time to sell on there because of income tax refunds and that extra money we'll all be getting sometime in May or June from the government. After factoring in the eBay and Paypal fees, as of today we have $800. toward our goal.

We hate to use credit cards cause they take so long to pay off and we just want to get our stuff to Eastport, it's working!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:30 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,326,179 times
You're a right smaht cookie!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,488,354 times
Useful advice for us to use in the not-so-distant future! Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 AM

47,851 posts, read 21,876,869 times
I got my first estimate for moving and it came in over $5000.00 Wowza! We really couldn't have picked a much longer move than southern Cal to Maine! Going to get more estimates but I am afraid it will be about the same. (It is tempting to think...devest here and buy and replace there....but I know that would end up costing much much more...and we really like some of the stuff.....(altho I could part with DP's old recliner lol).

Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM

653 posts, read 1,909,557 times
that is a smart move.

member of family in the house hold keep every things moved with her from north to south, south to north in 20 yeays apart, $$$$ for storage, $$$$ to move now still in the boxes no space in house to store, no more spend on storage.
what can you do.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:26 PM

612 posts, read 1,210,110 times
Very Smart Corgis. We are dealing with the same issue with our partial summer move in June, until DH's retirement. He hasn't decided definitely when that will be..a couple years or so...depends on the economy and healthcare.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,362,900 times
We, too, are going to sell off anything that we are ready to replace or just plain rid ourselves of before the move. The less we move, the less the gas expense should be, as well. And we may end up with a smaller truck if we get rid of enough junk. Besides, the rooms in houses there seem to be smaller than what we have here, so I'm afraid all our "stuff" isn't going to fit anyway.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:03 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,710,671 times
Penske had a site just south of Bangor in Hermon. Here is the information:

Penske Bangor Rental Mar
(207) 942-7526
13 Page Rd West
Hermon, ME 04401

It is located at the Pottles trucking company off colebrook road exit, then just down the Odlin road to Page rd.

Returned my truck there, and just checked =, they still have it listed. Good luck.

Also, if you are not a member of AAA - join. It can save you a bundle on a Penske rental. My $62 membership saved me $150 off the rental price and another $50 on Motel rooms during my move.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,173,505 times
Very smart preparation, Corgis! For years my sister and have I begged my Mom and Dad to stop buying and get rid of some stuff. My Mom likes trinkets and collects everything and Dad had lots of stuff from a boat-building business he owned for many years. We just moved my parents from TN to TX, and AFTER getting rid of at least 10 pieces of furniture and 30 boxes of stuff (charity, yard sale, and eBay), they still filled up a 16 foot truck and a 24 foot truck. To complicate the matter, my Dad had to be hospitalized for pneumonia and asthma problems when the 2nd (bigger) truck was to be driven out to TX. Luckily, they had many good friends that helped out. Their house had sold in less than two weeks, so they had to put all of their stuff in storage for 6 weeks or so. So we moved all of that stuff twice - all of the furniture and at least 175 boxes. For two people. From a house less than 1600 square feet. After that experience, they have realized that their "stuff" is not as important as their health, and are getting rid of much of it before they move out of their rental in a year. They are really sorry they didn't start the "simplifying" process a year ago. It would have saved them a lot of money, time, and stress. But on a good note, they are now much happier and healthier.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 AM

16,586 posts, read 15,512,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Penske had a site just south of Bangor in Hermon. Here is the information:

Penske Bangor Rental Mar
(207) 942-7526
13 Page Rd West
Hermon, ME 04401

It is located at the Pottles trucking company off colebrook road exit, then just down the Odlin road to Page rd.

Returned my truck there, and just checked =, they still have it listed. Good luck.

Also, if you are not a member of AAA - join. It can save you a bundle on a Penske rental. My $62 membership saved me $150 off the rental price and another $50 on Motel rooms during my move.
I didn't know Penske had any locations in Maine besides the one down at Topsham/Brunswick. This really makes a HUGE difference. It's about 100 miles closer to Eastport. Penske is so much less expensive that U-Haul or Budget that it is easily worth driving to Bangor to turn it in. We returned a truck to Budget on Union in Bangor once before. It wasn't really out of the way at all since I was going to the airport to pick somebody up anyway.

Thanks for mentioning that Penske location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine