U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,807,050 times
Default "Reunite For Obama" concert

I went to a Grateful Dead concert at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco the other day. Here are some pictures. And one very short video. My brother-in-law got 4 tickets. He's a DJ around here and is called "Grateful" Don Potter. I think he's been to over 550 shows to my 6. The Warfield holds only 2300 people. The last time I saw them was over 25 years ago. Guess you're not really a 'Deadhead' until you've gone to at least a few dozen?
Here's a news article:SFGate: Politics Blog : Grateful Dead Reunite Monday for Obama
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/IMG_3079.jpg (broken link)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/IMG_3081.jpg (broken link)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/IMG_3095.jpg (broken link)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/IMG_3086.jpg (broken link)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff190/RWayneM/th_MVI_3087.jpg (broken link)
That's about as much politics that you'll get out of me. I'm not endorsing anyone, just reporting the facts. Once the music starts, it's Obama who? Hillary who? Mac who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM

7,227 posts, read 13,547,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
As I said in the thread that was discussing the Republican caucus, I would love to see a woman president. I would also love to see a black president. I think it's about time people became "people" and issues were laid aside.
I just want to see the best person for the job.

Now, before this thread goes off topic, like I'm about to do, and get locked I just want to add that I am glad that Maine did not give the nod to Clinton. It pisses me off that so many women are voting for her simply because they are of the same gender. Clinton, just like other politicians is receiving tons of financial support from lobbyist. She claims to be against big oil companies, but yet they are funding her campaign and she has millions invested in 'evil' big oil companies (look it up your self). She was all gung-ho for Iraq and is all for preemptive strikes against Iran. National health care may sound nice, but there is no way to pay for it without raising taxes.

Sometimes I hope that Clinton does win just so all of those people who went with her simply because she is a woman would see just how evil she is. And, if you want to get conspiratorial, she is a member of the Bilderberg's or however you spell it.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-12-2008 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 02-11-2008, 01:33 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,014,411 times
I hate to burst your bubble but unless Obama is at least 15% ahead in delegates it's going to be a toss-up as the super-delegates which represent 20% of all delegates can vote for whomever they want. BTW, Bill Clinton is a super-delegate.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:39 PM

874 posts, read 1,153,339 times
So, I went to my first caucus. I arrived at 2PM. I got in one of the lines going from the other side of the block to the Portland HS doors. I was on the step and out of the snow at 3:30. At 4PM I was in the cafeteria and out of the hallway. At 4:40 I was on my way out of the cafeteria back to the hall (they snaked the line all around the cafeteria so more people could make it in out of the elements). It may have been mean spirited when I told someone as I made my way past the front door again on the final stretch to sign in that it had taken me an hour and a half for me to get back there.

The caucus was to end at 6 but at 6 we were waiting in the district voting room for everyone to get inside. I made it home just before 8. Wow. Obama or Hillary, people really made an effort to make their thoughts known yesterday. It was a huge pain in the rear for certain, but I really felt like I was a part of history being made whichever way things turn out and would do it again if necessary. I wouldn't mind Maine switching to a primary though. I am still slogging through he laundry I had foolishly left piled in the kitchen to was yesterday afternoon. LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 PM

33,716 posts, read 10,530,179 times
Thank you Gen for dragging us back to the topic.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,399,884 times
Hey at least you guys got to caucus. I got to vote in an election where my vote means nothing. Unless Florida breaks the arm of the DNC, none of our votes will even count. BTW, our Republican legislature set the date for our primary, full knowing the consequences. I don't know what it is about Florida and our elections. Hence, the move to Maine!

Old 02-11-2008, 05:28 PM

33,716 posts, read 10,530,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Hey at least you guys got to caucus. I got to vote in an election where my vote means nothing. Unless Florida breaks the arm of the DNC, none of our votes will even count. BTW, our Republican legislature set the date for our primary, full knowing the consequences. I don't know what it is about Florida and our elections. Hence, the move to Maine!
I am really hoping and expecting that the DNC will sponsor caucuses in both Florida and Michigan; it is senseless that US Virgin Islands has delgates and two important states to the democratic base don't.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,382,601 times
I guess I better be glad (nothing against Portland, really!) that I am not aiming to live there. That would be more than I could cope with! LOL

The last time I caucused, I lived in a small community (in WA state) in an even smaller precinct in an area that was predominantly Republican. So there were enough of us Dems that we fit comfortably in a large living room! THAT is my kind of politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genmomto5 View Post
So, I went to my first caucus. I arrived at 2PM. I got in one of the lines going from the other side of the block to the Portland HS doors. I was on the step and out of the snow at 3:30. At 4PM I was in the cafeteria and out of the hallway. At 4:40 I was on my way out of the cafeteria back to the hall (they snaked the line all around the cafeteria so more people could make it in out of the elements). It may have been mean spirited when I told someone as I made my way past the front door again on the final stretch to sign in that it had taken me an hour and a half for me to get back there.

The caucus was to end at 6 but at 6 we were waiting in the district voting room for everyone to get inside. I made it home just before 8. Wow. Obama or Hillary, people really made an effort to make their thoughts known yesterday. It was a huge pain in the rear for certain, but I really felt like I was a part of history being made whichever way things turn out and would do it again if necessary. I wouldn't mind Maine switching to a primary though. I am still slogging through he laundry I had foolishly left piled in the kitchen to was yesterday afternoon. LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 07:28 PM

994 posts, read 1,302,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I went to a Grateful Dead concert at the Warfield Theater in San Francisco the other day. Here are some pictures. And one very short video. My brother-in-law got 4 tickets. He's a DJ around here and is called "Grateful" Don Potter. I think he's been to over 550 shows to my 6. The Warfield holds only 2300 people. The last time I saw them was over 25 years ago. Guess you're not really a 'Deadhead' until you've gone to at least a few dozen?
Not trying to hijack the thread but I've been a Deadhead most of my life. Went to my first show as a kid with my folks. Later I toured with the dead in summers in the 80's and several shows in the 90's. Good people, good times! I know that Jerry is playing lullabies to Jesus every night

Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,605,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I agree that Bill is baggage that she doesn't need! He was a great President and a great ex president. He is a terrible albatros around the neck of her campaign and her potential presidency, IMHO.
Very well said. I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine