Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 01:00 PM

121 posts, read 319,669 times

Advertisements

Hi all you Mainers, this is just a reminder to all you Dems to get to the caucuses today. We don't want our candidate to be picked by 796 super-delegates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:45 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,163,486 times
Default What Did Obama Promise Maine?

Obama wins Maine's caucus today. What did he promise? A couple of days ago he was in New Orleans and promised them new levies / seawalls that would never be breached by any ocean or hurricaine, and then New Orleans and Louisiana voted for him. Previously, he has vowed to end global warming, universal health care for all, paid for college education for everyone, end to all wars, end of terrorism, restoration of US' reputation throughout the world, an end to CEO's making a gazillion times more than their workers, bring everybody together, lower oil prices, lower taxes, etc, etc. Last night I heard him on the radio, a clip from a speech where he said he "will save America when I am the president of the United States." Wow... No wonder everybody is voting for him

It has been an ongoing joke over the past couple of months to track candidates' promises, and after Louisiana, the joke is, "what will they promise you when they come to your state - that's the time to ask." So what did the candidates promise to Maine?

This is surely an unusual and wonderfully interesting national primary race for both parties - I haven't even begun to make up my mind for a candidate, or even party.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:20 PM

47,892 posts, read 21,897,190 times
I must respectfully disagree with you Maine Writer. I still HOPE and I hope that "as Maine goes so goes the nation."

Last edited by elston; 02-10-2008 at 10:37 PM..

Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,308,572 times
Kudos to you Maine voters. You certainly are the most enlightened in choosing Obama. May the rest of the country be so wise.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,166,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Obama wins Maine's caucus today. What did he promise? A couple of days ago he was in New Orleans and promised them new levies / seawalls that would never be breached by any ocean or hurricaine, and then New Orleans and Louisiana voted for him. Previously, he has vowed to end global warming, universal health care for all, paid for college education for everyone, end to all wars, end of terrorism, restoration of US' reputation throughout the world, an end to CEO's making a gazillion times more than their workers, bring everybody together, lower oil prices, lower taxes, etc, etc. Last night I heard him on the radio, a clip from a speech where he said he "will save America when I am the president of the United States." Wow... No wonder everybody is voting for him

It has been an ongoing joke over the past couple of months to track candidates' promises, and after Louisiana, the joke is, "what will they promise you when they come to your state - that's the time to ask." So what did the candidates promise to Maine?

This is surely an unusual and wonderfully interesting national primary race for both parties - I haven't even begun to make up my mind for a candidate, or even party.
Apparently he has a Staples button

Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,374,353 times
Looks like Hillary is slipping fast.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 AM

The strength and depth of the Obama phenomenon, as demonstrated once again in Maine this weekend, is impressive; I believe he will make a great President; he is representative of the yearning of the American people for a return to decency and civility in politics, he is able to tap into the vision and hope that characterizes the American experience. He enobles an otherwise tawdry business .

The Democratic Party has the momentary awkwardness of having two extremely attractive candidates. Maine chose Obama, as the candidate of change. However, Senator Clinton deserves the admiration with which she is regarded; she is a tireless fighter for "the least of these"; the sick, the children, the elderly, the unemployed, the working poor. She is still the lead candidate and may well be the next President of the United States.

She has demonstrated again and again that she is up to and above the vicious attacks against her; she embodies the slogan "You Go Girl!" Win or lose she blazes the trail for the first woman to be President, and has already smashed the glass ceiling and if it is not to be her, the first female president will be standing on her shoulders.

As Maine goes, so goes the nation. I hope so!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I must respectfully disagree with you Maine Writer. I still HOPE and I hope that "as Maine goes so goes the nation."
Whoops that was quiet walker not maine writer, with whom I was disagreeing. I am sorry for my confusion and I think I rather over stated my case!

Last edited by elston; 02-11-2008 at 11:50 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,374,353 times
As I said in the thread that was discussing the Republican caucus, I would love to see a woman president. I would also love to see a black president. I think it's about time people became "people" and issues were laid aside.

That said, I do not care to see Bill back in the White House. Now, if Hillary could dump him, I'd probably vote for her, and I'm not completely decided on my choice at this time. I do think she has my favorite stance on the issues that I care about, and I believe she'll be a bull dog in the White House and go down fighting when her time is up. Gotta love a strong woman!!

I expect for Obama to take Texas hands down, since there are so many ill feelings here toward Bill after all the drama during his battles with our former Govenor. I also expect him to take it, because we are a largely ethnic state.

I'm certainly not a political expert, but those are my observations.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-12-2008 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: use DM for moderation issues, please

Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM

I agree that Bill is baggage that she doesn't need! He was a great President and a great ex president. He is a terrible albatros around the neck of her campaign and her potential presidency, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine